Author Topic: Nickal plating.  (Read 877 times)

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
Nickal plating.
« on: April 19, 2011, 04:56:48 am »
Any body no where to inqiure about renickaling a sidecar frame any info would be great.
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Nickal plating.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:52:45 am »
 Warning ,Is frought with heartbreak Popeye.  Old used frames are the big problem. Before pickling and replating, without a total and very comprehensive and extensive removal of old nickel and full repairs to any tiny tiny cracking or other even mildly dodgy bits, ... You could, no will , be very disappointed at the results. If the frame has been hanging on a wall since birth it should be OK. Oh have I mentioned the sickening crap done to old metal by "over pickling"   Suggestion use paint.......... ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:03:54 am by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Nickal plating.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:49:26 am »
there is a close silver powder coat now available. whcih if not bright enough you can go over with chrome in a can.

not the same i know but cheaper, safer ( old frame acid bathed erode inside) and reversable.

74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff