Author Topic: Montesa VR 360 4speed  (Read 17484 times)

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Montesa VR 360 4speed
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2011, 07:07:23 pm »
Any new pics of this bike now?

Slakewell, if you have a look at page 3 reply 33 there is a pic of it now.

Stan.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2011, 07:33:58 pm »
Hmm that pic wasn't loading before but now seems fine. Interwebs who knows?
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 12:47:33 pm »
Stan, I don't mean to 'thro a spanner in the works', but are you sure its the one Gary raced. The info from Lyall attached to the pic I posted above says "First 360VR I built". He told me he built others too, but I can't remember how many now. From memory I'm fairly sure it was only a few.

What a great find!  Would like to have a peek inside that cylinder and see how
Lyall got the power out of that beast!  Pretty basic porting and that motor weighs
over 70lbs.

Jared, I have a copy of the pipe specs from Lyall if you want them, which appear to have originated from the factory:  "Tubo 360   3/5/74". Its not a great p/copy but is mostly legible.

My recollections from talking w Lyall are that it was a modifed VR pipe w longer/fatter header, longer/fatter mid-section, & larger dia stinger. And thats what the plan seems to indicate - the dimensions are only on the extra/diff sections

I tho't he "six-ported" the engine (extra transfers) but on checking the info on Lyall's road race Montys (which I hope to post in another thread in the next day or so) he says that about the r/r 350, so I don't know now if it applied to the VR360 engine as well. No doubt, Stan will find that in due course.

He sure was a tuning wizard, not unlike the legendary Bert Flood.

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 04:40:29 pm »
Stan, I don't mean to 'thro a spanner in the works', but are you sure its the one Gary raced. The info from Lyall attached to the pic I posted above says "First 360VR I built". He told me he built others too, but I can't remember how many now. From memory I'm fairly sure it was only a few.

JC, I am used to people throwing spanners in the works ;D. Going by the documentation that the present owner has from Lyall who confirmed it was the bike that won the Grand National, the Laurie Boulter and short circuit title as well as some Rally Cross wins. I am sure this is Gary's bike. There is no doubt there has been a lot of components changed since 73 as also the bike in the picture that you posted as his "First 360VR" which has a 74 tank, layed down shock position and shoulderless rims which the original 73 bike had none of.
Can you email me the pipe specs also please as the pipe with this bike looks very much like the design you described.

Regards Stan.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 08:06:42 pm »
Thats great Stan

Yep, I'll do that tomorrow hopefully. Can you PM me yr email again pls. Hope it scans OK

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2011, 09:47:11 pm »
Why are you attracted to VMX Stan, its because, like all of us we like to relive the past, owe youth, if l had my time all over again, l would race motorcross, and also road racing as l loved racing rally cross at calder race way. Gary O`Brien also raced rally cross on that 360 VR, and wrecked it down the back straight. But l would do it differently tho.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:37:14 pm by Team Jawa »

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2011, 09:55:48 pm »
Why are you attracted to VMX Stan, its because, like all of us we like to want to relive the past, owe youth, if l had my time all over again, l would race motorcross, and also road racing as l loved racing rally cross at calder race way. Gary O`Brien also raced rally cross on that 360 VR, and wrecked it down the back straight. But l would do it differently tho.

Yeah David I guess your right, but if I was really serious I would have to lose about 50kg to get to my ex racing weight  :D :D :D

Stan.