Author Topic: who won rugby?  (Read 10358 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: who won rugby?
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 05:18:08 pm »
I epitomise Firko's statement - I think there is only one form of football and the best team there is Collingwood - (just having a bit of a lean time at the moment????).  Other codes............................??????

Rossco  :D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 05:37:37 pm »
What I don't understand is that while we in NSW and Qld enjoy all of the codes, why are the AFL states so blinkered towards one code only? I guess it's something for the urban anthropologists to work out.
Having lived "most" of my life in Vic, I'd say it's due to a number of factors Firko. One, AFL stemmed from the VFL and VFA competitions and once a upon a time, you could actually go to the suburb of the team and watch them play - that creates an ideal of ownership for the people who live there. I grew up with Essendon as my closest team and had a few players as teachers as well - that formulated who I was going to barrack for.  The other reason is MARKETING and to this end, it has been done well.
Apart from the Melbourne Storm, rugby is just another ballsport. To the majority of Vics, rugby is just a game that some expats play in a local park during winter - nothing more, nothing less.
Prior to the shift of South Melbourne to form the Sydney Swans (and subsequently Fitzroy to Brisbane), aussie rules was probably much the same in the northern states.
I suppose I was lucky enough to have a great PE teacher in high school who introduced me to many sports, one of them rugby (in both forms!).
I'm willing to bet there are a few more like me, but not sure I'd hold my breath waiting for them to come out of the woodwork!!
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 10:45:58 am »
It became apparent to me when he asked why George Cregan hadn't been picked for the State of Origin series.

Firko, Ceorge who ?

And I only meant to have a joke about Firko's misspelling   :o  :o  :o

firko

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 11:37:27 am »
And I only meant to have a joke about Firko's misspelling
Ah.....the penny drops. Gregan with a G! It's ironic that a South Aussie caught me out. Take a drive up to Christies Beach and try and enlighten Brian for us...I don't think the two codes message quite got through. ;D
                                                                      The man himself                   

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:40:47 am by firko »

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 04:39:43 pm »
Ah.....the penny drops. Gregan with a G! It's ironic that a South Aussie caught me out. Take a drive up to Christies Beach and try and enlighten Brian for us...I don't think the two codes message quite got through. ;D
                                                                      The man himself                  

Yes a good half back, but the man who's shoes he had to fill was possibly the best half back the rugby world has ever seen.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2009, 08:47:09 pm »
Yes a good half back, but the man who's shoes he had to fill was possibly the best half back the rugby world has ever seen.

DJ, you're referring to Nick Farr-Jones I take it? You realise he's an Aussie, right? :o
Mate, when the kiwis on the forum read what you've just said you'll be banished from the land of the long white cloud!
You'll be the Salman Rushdie of New Zealand!
Call me when you get here - I'll arrange somewhere for you to hide... ;)
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

firko

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 03:13:09 pm »
I've gotta agree with you DJ....Nick Farr-Jones was one helluva halfback. We could do with a bit of his or Georgie Gregans brilliance at scrum half right now.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 04:12:24 pm »
Wombat,  as a kiwi I'm allowed to say how good an Aussie rugby player was now that he has retired, but if he was still playing, now that would be a different story ;) ...... ;D
I dont know what it is about rugby union in these professional times, it just doesnt have the true passion of the sport(well for me it doesnt) like it used too.  The players of today just dont seem to have the same passion as the players of yesteryear. I remember seeing Phillipe Sella catching a high kick under his own posts with the all black forward pack arriving at the same time. He took the ball and never let it go which would've given away certain try straight in front, but did give the penalty away. When he finnally got up from the rucking his rugby jersey was in threads. That took balls, passion and for the love of "the game", or what ever you want to call it, but it didnt take money??
 It seems that all national teams seem to be struggling in the half-back position, and yet it doesnt seem that long ago when we had players like Sid Going, Mark Loveridge, Mark Donaldson and Andrew Donald.
I was luckly enough to get taught (as a half-back and first five) by Mark Donaldson and Bob Burgress. Today I look at how 'they'(todays' players) pass a ball and just shake my head.
I remember well the day the Irish had Aussie on the back foot in the world cup(I sat up late) and I just thought to myself ..... what ever you do, dont let Champese get the ball. What happens.......Try in the corner.
Players and Captains,
                      For NZ to be a world force in rugby again we need a leader. A leader like Nick Farr-Jones, Buck Shelford, Martyn Johnston...... Leaders by example.

Now I well need that place to hide Wombat...... ;D  ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 10:55:54 am »
All quite at castle de firko

Did you manage to get to the maroons and blues Vets game held last night ?? Those players body sizes haven't change with age. Just watch a flik on the news..looks like it was a good game !!
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 11:04:21 am »
I didn't even know it was on until it was over. I saw a bit on the news but watching a bunch of old Leaguies huffing and puffing around the paddock wouldn't have been much of a priority in my house I'm afraid. ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 11:11:05 am »
but watching a bunch of old Leaguies huffing and puffing around the paddock wouldn't have been much of a priority in my house I'm afraid. ;D

:D  you can see that at vmx hey !!!  ;)
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 11:21:15 am »
the game sold out in 32hrs was all for the Qld flood, a good laugh
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

mx250

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 11:33:41 am »
the game sold out in 32hrs was all for the Qld flood, a good laugh
And they played for real, tackled for real  :o. I thought it was gunna be 'kick and giggle'. Madder than a bunch of VMX'er reliving their youth :-[.