Author Topic: who won rugby?  (Read 10367 times)

firko

Re: who won rugby?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 04:30:44 pm »
Hallelujah......I couldn't agree more Jeff . As a 27 year veteran of playing Rugby I find myself being further drawn into enjoying Rugby League more because of the pedantic kickfest that Rugby has become. The Rugby League scoring system would be the first thing I'd introduce to Rugby.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 04:55:02 pm »
Firko,
You might be able to fix the scoring problems in Rugby, but you will never get the League guys to pack a scrum. They may as well just pass the ball straight to the 5/8 and stop wasting time.

God knows what they do while they are packed down. I can imagine the hookers chatting about what pub they are going to after the game - heaven knows they don't have anything else to do. Its just embarrassing and goodness knows what the players think of it - can't be good for the tough-man image…
VMX42

P.S. whatever happened with those Dutch twinshock things???? HaHa!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 05:38:37 pm »
Wombat never got over the 2004 drubbing of the Lions by the MIGHTY PORT POWER in the final  ;D

firko

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 05:43:18 pm »
Jeff...This has to stop now!..ya hear!!! I can't stand it, agreeing with you again!  Even my 90 year old mother throws things at the telly whenever the League blokes "pack down" for a scrum, screaming something about "Bumper Farrell rolling in his grave". What a f**king wank that is. I agree, both codes have their issues but they're still infinitely more watchable than the other oval ball codes to me. I was channel surfing today and managed to flick onto the Giants v Cowboys American NFL game and in half an hour I managed to witness 8 minutes of actual football.

mainline

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 06:05:58 pm »
we won the netball though ;D

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 06:06:45 pm »
OK Firko,
Just to restore some degree of normalcy…

"God I Love those wacky Dutch Twinshockers!!"

Happy now??
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Curly3

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 06:28:23 pm »
Sorry Wombat but if you are going to follow the Wobblies, and the not so dirty Reds, I'm sure you'll be a convert to the "Working Class" game of league by 2011.
My opinion is that Tackling Technique seems confusing for Union players as well.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 06:59:25 pm »
OK Firko,
Just to restore some degree of normalcy…

"God I Love those wacky Dutch Twinshockers!!"

Happy now??
VMX42

Right Jeff, with a statement like that, and you wanting the penalty dropped down to 1 point it would be worth giving you a good rucking and maybe even an upper cut in the scrum  ;)  ;D ..... no maybe a good stiff arm late tackle.  ;D  ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 11:53:56 pm »
Sorry Wombat but if you are going to follow the Wobblies, and the not so dirty Reds, I'm sure you'll be a convert to the "Working Class" game of league by 2011.
My opinion is that Tackling Technique seems confusing for Union players as well.
It just so happens I was a passionate League follower before the whole 'Super League' debacle.
Hey I'm a Queenslander! It wasn't until I joined the Army and left the State I learned not everyone plays League - who knew?!  
But I still watch the State of Origin and the Internationals (my teams win ;)) and the Grand Final, but rarely a League game in between.

To me League is the predictable one of the rugby codes: five tackles and kick, five tackles and kick, five tackles and .......... ad infinitum!!
And don't the crowd howl in protest should any player be so stupid as to kick on anything other than the last tackle!!
Stoppages? Are you kidding me? After every league tackle the two sides stop to line up and face off again!
Kicking aside, in Union the game will continue on and on - until someone finally cheats in the ruck.

But I will wholeheartedly agree on that waste of time we call a League scrum...  ::) >:( ??? what the hell is that about?
Bring back the contest of a scrum - or just throw it up and make them jump for it, but pls p1ss off that pale copy of a pack of 'Forwards'!

Sorry... I've banged on enough - we can chat about gang tackles some other time. ;)
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 12:02:19 am »
both forms of rubgy isn't it a case of 1 guy with funny ears pushing 2 other guys up three guys bums or something like that????  Suppose I shouldn't mention that I am a Collingwood supporter at this point eh! ::)

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 10:32:15 am »
Suppose I shouldn't mention that I am a Collingwood supporter at this point eh!

Not after last weekend, you shouldn't, Ross.

And anyway, I thought Collingwood supporters were into that sort of thing.  They do it to opposition supporters every weekend, even when they win  :D  :D

firko

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 11:59:46 am »
both forms of rubgy isn't it a case of 1 guy with funny ears pushing 2 other guys up three guys bums or something like that?  Suppose I shouldn't mention that I am a Collingwood supporter at this point eh!
I aplaud you Rossco for being a West Aussie and at least knowing that there are two Rugby codes  ;). A relative in Adelaide has lived all of his 50 odd years not realising that both Rugby Union and Rugby League existed as seperate entities. This same bloke can rattle off trivia and stats about AFL and SAFL ad infinitum but hadn't bothered to even notice the difference between the Rugby codes even though he watched both the State of Origin and Rugby test matches on the telly. It became apparent to me when he asked why George Cregan hadn't been picked for the State of Origin series. ::)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 12:08:08 pm by firko »

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 12:46:33 pm »
Firko, Ceorge who ?  I'm from SA.   :-*

firko

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 01:34:01 pm »

Firko, Ceorge who ?  I'm from SA
Exactly!....... ;D
I don't mean it as a put down on anybody in SA but use the example to explain the different prorities we give to footy. Whereas in the AFL states there is no other code of footy we here in NSW generally have an interest in all codes even though Rugby League is the most popular due to the historic origins of the sport,the average New South Welshman (and Queenslander I'd assume) is fully aware of the other codes and watches them all with some interest. As well as being a season ticket holder of the NSW Blues Super 14 Rugby team and a longtime member of Randwick Rugby(http://www.randwickrugby.com.au/rugby/news-and-events), I'm also a member of South Sydney Rabbitoes Rugby League and often attend Sydney Swans games. Most of my mates are of the same line of thinking but to talk to South Aussies and Victorians about anything besides their precious AFL and their eyes glaze over, not having a clue what you're talking about.

That's why the Rugby League stuffed up thinking they can get a League team up and running in Adelaide. They're just not interested. Sure the Storm have a following in Melbourne but it's subsidised by News Limited and can only achieve 12-15000 fans to a regular game which is piss poor when compared to AFL support. The Western Force Rugby Union team are succeeding in WA due I suspect to the high number of expat Poms, Kiwis and South Africans living there. If the club had to rely on indidgenous Sandgropers I fear they'd be in strife.

As a fan of both codes of Rugby I'd be pretty pissed off having to sit up 'til midnight to watch a game on free to air telly if I lived in Adelaide whereas AFL gets prime time here in NSW and Qld. What I don't understand is that while we in NSW and Qld enjoy all of the codes, why are the AFL states so blinkered towards one code only? I guess it's something for the urban anthropologists to work out.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 04:23:33 pm »
Firko, Ceorge who ?

But after all that, I still didn't get an answer  :D

PS  having attended the World Cup in 06, the recent Bledisloe Cup in Sydney and having had to foorgo my tickets to State of Origin in Brisbane lately, I think I can say that South Aussies do recognise other ball sports exist and enjoy them as spectacles.  Its just that we don't have the quality on our doorstep (sorry, United) except in AFL.   :(  You can only blame the Rugby codes for that.