Author Topic: How much metal can you remove from a piston top?  (Read 1059 times)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
How much metal can you remove from a piston top?
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:04:50 pm »
I need to deepen the valve cutaways in my XL piston. Assuming I work out how much meat I have in the crown of the piston is there some kind of "safe" thickness of material to leave?

Curly3

Re: How much metal can you remove from a piston top?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:32:04 pm »
Ckeck the standard clearence and take as little as is needed, don't forget you'll reduce the compression.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:39:39 am »
Hey MX,
A bit of a chicken and egg senario here [IMHO].

I would first measure the clearance between the valves and the piston [using putty and sliver solder]. After careful measurement if there isn't enough clearance I would measure the thickness of the piston crown.

Other more knowledgeable OzVMXers can probably tell you the minimum clearance numbers for your engine. But I think you need to know the extent of the problem first…

Good luck
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline noisy toy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 04:55:57 pm »
Maybe go to the wreckers and get an old piston and drill a hole in it. I have a buggered xt600 Wiseco piston if yours is Wiseco, I can drill a hole through the crown and measure if you want.