Author Topic: budget bikes?  (Read 62957 times)

firko

Re: budget bikes?
« Reply #270 on: November 27, 2009, 10:56:26 am »
The yellow Enfield is a classic example of what I mean with keeping the bikes within a historic period. The yellow paint (I bet is bloody powdercoat) and XL Honda tank are really, really wrong and spoil the whole period thing. Go back a couple of pages to see the blingy Enfield I photographed in NZ. It's almost exactly the same bike yet by using taste and period colour and parts he got it right. If the bike's used for trials which I suspect is the intention, the seat is fine. But that fugly tank and colour ain't.

mx250

« Reply #271 on: November 27, 2009, 11:19:31 am »
The yellow Enfield is a classic example of what I mean with keeping the bikes within a historic period. The yellow paint (I bet is bloody powdercoat) and XL Honda tank are really, really wrong and spoil the whole period thing. Go back a couple of pages to see the blingy Enfield I photographed in NZ. It's almost exactly the same bike yet by using taste and period colour and parts he got it right. If the bike's used for trials which I suspect is the intention, the seat is fine. But that fugly tank and colour ain't.
Ya missed the Honda front end ;) :-[

firko

« Reply #272 on: November 27, 2009, 11:24:05 am »

Ya missed the Honda front end
Do I did. Dazzled by the yellow glow I guess.  ;D

mainline

firko

« Reply #274 on: June 24, 2010, 11:20:16 am »
We've been looking these little Rickman Micro Metisses as good tackle for building an entry level special for quite a while. I recieved the following photos from Paul Pinsonnault in Massachusetts. Paul's an American hill climb legend, vintage racer the bloke I purchased my Cheney RT1 from a couple of years ago. He, like me loves to build bikes that are a little off mainstream.
He's almost completed the little Rickman fitted with a Montesa VA125 engine. He already races a 250 VR Rickman Montesa so with this little bike'll it'll create a pair of bookends.

firko

« Reply #275 on: July 01, 2010, 12:22:39 pm »
Here's a cheapy on the Swapmeet this morning. http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi

Rickman Zundapp 125 frame, swingarm, rims with no hubs, shocks. All rusty(can send pics). Frame is useable, straight but the finish isn't the best.I am in New Jersey. Going to Mid Ohio. Can deliver for free, why not going there anyways, or come get it here. I don't want much for this stuff. Maybee you could buy me lunch? Or just a cup of coffee. I really don't care, just want this stuff gone and to a good home, would hate to scrap it. Let me know if interested. I must put a price in so here goes $20.00 OBO
       Timothy Lavance
Brick, NJ
Email

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 02, 2010, 01:26:32 pm »
Firko i have a Rickman frame in the elegator swamp, Love Bindy
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 09, 2010, 10:13:43 pm »
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=3103.0
refresher from ;May 2008  8)
The Rickman Micro Metisse is one of the cheapest ways of getting into the "pukka" Metisse/Cheney market. They're a beautifully built little jewell that are as light as a feather and handle like they're on rails. They have Ceriani forks standard, great lightweight hubs and are hand made from Reynolds 531 tubing. They came with Zundapp, Hodaka and a few with AT1 Yamaha engines but the frame cradle is plenty big enough for all sorts of engine swaps as Coffs Harbour Donnie and the TM Suzuki powered "Sickman" and Alan Jones Honda SL125 engined "Ugly Betty" testify. The legendary John Boag races a Zundapp version and swears it's the best handling vintage bike he's got. Bare and rolling frames are always on US eBay for chicken feed. I tried to post photos of the Sickman and Ugly Betty and the URL of this eBay Rickman frame( 350063930741 ) but got the dreaded error message.
Best is in the West !!

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 06, 2010, 03:52:24 pm »
i just sold a bsa victor -one of the bikes i brought in from the usa.have sold running bike for 3000.oo.the owner has asked us to turn it into a mx bike,so it has been stripped,and excess metal removed bits added to it,rickman matisse seat,sidecovers,mudguards(we have access to moulds)rewired it,new battery and mount,have seat made for seat base,new tyres,tubes,handle bars,grips,cables-all made,levers,perches,etcpaint it and it will owe around 5600 including the bike would be cheaper if you did the work your self but hey the new owner is 77 and we will have to start it for him.get a cheaper base bike and you could build it even cheaper.i think we cut out about 25 kg of crap out of it this includes old seat gauges,headlight etc