Author Topic: The question has been answered thank you very much.  (Read 14984 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: The question has been answered thank you very much.
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2010, 10:24:30 am »
It looks as though 4 strokes are here to stay with Moto GP, Moto 2, MXGP, AMA Motocross all being taken over by 4 strokes.
There is a huge amount of technical knowledge and development going into 4 strokes and virtually none going into the 2 stroke, maybe that will change in the future.
The way it is now for motocross a 4 stroke is the better bike off the showroom floor.
It's a shame the Jap manufacturers don't continue to make and develop new 2 strokes for the average guy who wants a new bike he can maintain and rebuild himself without huge repair bills and with some of the Motocross classes now  allowing equal capacity for 2 and 4 strokes it would make it more interesting to see a mix of both competing like it was 5 -10 years back. 

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2010, 10:29:52 am »
The riders on the 250 2 strokes are Darryl King, Cameron Taylor and Kim Ashkenazi.. are you saying none of them are capable of cracking the top 5? To be honest King and Taylor had better results on 4 strokes last year, like it or not the 250 4 strokes are seriously fast and the 2 strokes are getting dated with lack of development.
All the fast young 250f riders grew up on 65 and 85 2 strokes so you can be sure they know how to ride a 2 stroke.
The modern 4 strokes are very good , that's why everyone races one.
Working in a race team i've seen plenty of juniors go up to the senior ranks on a 125 2 stroke and get flogged and then have to shell out for a 250F to be fully competitive.
Which of these guys is still in his twenties?
Darryl King is pushing 40 & any young punk beaten by him should hang his head in shame & never go near a mx track again. Good reason for him to keep riding, thin out the ranks a bit  ;D

None of those 3 are young anymore but still very fast.
Darryl finished 2nd in the world a couple of times so it's no embarrasment to be beaten by him.
It's great that all 3 are still competitive with the young guys.

Offline Paddles

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2010, 10:04:42 am »
don't be fooled, the cc's mean nothing i reckon. ride a 500cc 2 stroke and then ride a current generation 450cc 4 stroke back to back on the same track, the superior power delivery and predictability of the 4 stroke through and out of the corners is mind blowing. that's why the 2s is uncompetitive. even the world mx riders picked this up in open class in the 90's, a 500 2s was ok when you had good traction and the 4s was superior anywhere else. as for a drag race however, a well set up 500 is top of the heap in my opinion, it's just when you go round a corner and the thing wants to chuck ya over the tank that things have to slow down a bit when you're a rider of my limited abilities. i reckon the environmental/emmissions issue is a load of krap too by the time you change the oil and filter every 6 hours.

rohan

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2010, 10:24:20 pm »
Like Tim the tool man Taylor says "Its not really yours unless you built it yourself"

firko

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2010, 10:50:30 pm »
Like Tim the tool man Taylor says "Its not really yours unless you built it yourself"
;D ;D ;D At last, my philosophy on this old bike thing in a nutshell. Perfect!