Author Topic: Just asking, i can fit reeds in a PRe 75 Cr125 and its legal right ?  (Read 7090 times)

DR

Sully up in Emerald had what appears to be a yammy reed valve grafted onto a TM125 barrel (quite professionally I might add :o) we assumed at the time this barrel and mod was not legal as the reed was not a GEM or other aftermarket available in the era. Looks like we both assumed wrong :-\ looking for a pic of said reed conversion for some qualified advice as I have no idea what the DT/MX reeds looked like ;)

DR

okies found it!

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
doc
i have 1 just like it on my 1973 cr250m it was done in texas usa in the 70s using a yamaha mx 250 1974 reed cage and reeds.the barrell is like swiss cheese holes eveywere.
jim
i have some pics of it at home will try and did them up

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Why cant we see a window i the piston ? or is he trying to use the old Piston port piston in it ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
freaky
just because the cyl is ported it might not still be ok to put a reed on and run well.i have scored a d&h eng reed valve for my cz400 gen period stuff.all the porting mods for this motor is out the window as different ports will be run to get the best out of the reed set up.porting for piston port and reed valve is different.both my cr250ms will not run piston port any more.must use reed block that the barrell is ported for.you will need to pull the top end and get it checked out. as just bolting the reed no could have the oppersite outcome you are looking for
jim
ps
speak to lozza

DR

The piston for the TM cylinder does have the windows and the whole deal ran great while it was in place ;)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
also my cr had a window in the piston as well as the 2 bridge port cooling holes on the exhurst side

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
JIM you going off trqack, all i asked was why i couldnt see a window in the piston, dont fret about what ever your trying to say, this is a working unit. 

I was just curious as to what Doc TM 125 was using as i though i saw the piston in there, now i look at it again its not a piston , its the otherside of the bore..... i didnt see the finger first time.

The question was/is can reeds be fitted to anything pre 75 as it was a period part and/or technology used.  I think the answer here is "yes" regardless if it was originally Piston port technology, as anyone could have made a conversion or bolt on versions happen based on at least 2 years knowledge and production models being available on the mx market pre 75.

What im saying is pre 70 is a no go obviously, but post 70 you can do what you like ?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:24:31 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
yes freaky as long as it is period again no vforce or reeds from later bikes
mossbarger and Gem and i have found d&h eng out of ca as well