Author Topic: Advice needed - which modern bike is best?  (Read 11755 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed - which modern bike is best?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2007, 07:36:12 am »
Oh, I saw the bike, it is like new. But he's not in town over the weekend, so will organise the sale etc next week. Just as long as he doesn't change his mind between now and then!

Looking good...

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2007, 09:05:18 am »
Hi Graeme,
Are you bringing it to Clarence so we can all have a ride of your new toy 8)
Noel

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2007, 01:27:15 pm »
Sorry Noel, but I am staying home from Clarence to polish it!  Well, not quite, but I won't be at Clarence as I havent got a vintage bike that's a goer right now. So, I guess it'll all have to wait till next year.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2007, 04:18:55 pm »
Ahh now there ya go Graeme, ya better take TMBill's offer up to test ride his bike, just tell him not the modern one and say you will be over here for the 18 Nov for the second round of the VMX champs at Taupo, right where Bill lives ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2007, 06:03:01 pm »
OK, just got the 125 home and it does indeed look nice. Pro Circuit pipe, VeeForce reeds, after market airfilter and so on. Should be fun. Best of all, one half hearted kick and it starts!!!  How good is that after a steady diet of HL500s and Husky CR500s...

However, while looking for setup tips on the web I came across a thread on Dirtrider forums about problems with the bearing on the stopper lever (shift cam assembly) collapsing and wrecking the gearbox (part #5 in the diagram below).

Has anyone heard of this happening in Australia? Is there a fix?

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 06:40:45 pm »
I hav no idea graeme, but I will ask at my local yammie shop and find out what they know. If it was that bad a problem then would they(yamaha) head a recall to fix the problem? Is it the bearing collapsing or the bolt coming undone because of no loctite and then the bearing gets chewed up and ceates havoc in the gearbox?
But glad you like the bike and I hope it serves you well.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 06:44:21 pm »
It seems to have been a problem mostly in the UK but I did read of it in the US too. Apparently the bearing itself is (allegedly) the wrong kind for the application, and it just collapses after maybe 15-20 hours of use.

The thread claimed some large number of UK bikes were affected, both 05 and 06 models, and that Yamaha wouldn't honour warranty with it.

I must admit I hadn't heard of any reliability problems with late model Yamaha two-strokes...

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 06:50:18 pm »
I havnt heard anything either but I will ask around here. We have a modern club day 'natural terrian' on Sunday so I will ask a few guys there. Hopefully they can shead some light on the subject.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 07:08:28 am »
I was beginning to wonder just what I'd let myself in for. First the matter of the stopper lever (bought a new one for under $50, just gotta fit it up), then came across a thread on the DirtRider forums about how bad the 05 YZ125 forks are.

According to this, the forks are 'negatively preloaded' by 5mm (the springs are 5mm too short...), the overall package is too soft, which causes all manner of terrible things to happen, and there was much debate about how to correct all that and also some damping problem.  After reading a whole lot of stuff about changing the piston seal for a band and drilling a hole in the piston and removing the mid-valve and adding a spacer under the ICS spring and special ways to bleed TC forks and blokes debating the merits of 3mm preload vs 4mm preload, I felt I should just stick to 1975 RM125s...  Still, just to pretend I knew what I was doing, I went and checked all the sag settings (does this really work? Every article I have ever read reckons that the sag at the rear should be about 100mm on every bike out there, and that's pretty much what they come with). Turns out everything was right on the money with what the DR forum guys reckoned. So how bad could it be?

I decided to ignore it all and finally go for that first ride.

Well, what a revelation. That thing flies, handles and soaks up the bumps like I couldn't believe. Peaky??? No way, it feels about on a par with a stock Evo 250, perhaps a shade less bottom end and not as smooth on the transition into the powerband. Brakes that work. No vibration... it just goes on. Yep, it really was THAT nice.

As for the suspension, well... it went up and down and seemed perfectly fine. I guess with some more time on it I might be able to pick the need for that 3mm preload, or maybe go up .1 in spring rate, or adjust that mid-valve... but probably not.

I'm a happy camper.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 03:49:58 pm »
I'm glad to hear you are happy Graeme. I have a 06 YZF250 and as far as I can tell the suspension goes up and down too, so for my riding ability its perfect. I think when ya get that good that ya need to have your suspenion fine tuned on a modern bike its time to talk turkey with a sponsor or two.

Have fun on the new new ;D ;D