Author Topic: Advice needed - which modern bike is best?  (Read 11757 times)

Cowboy Don

Re: Advice needed - which modern bike is best?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 10:26:06 am »
I too would have to recommend a Gas Gas 300.  I have a 2005 and it's a great all rounder, can even take the lights off and do the odd mx club day.  Pulls like a 4-stroke but with the ease of maintenance and light weight of a 2-stroke.  Mine is still on the original piston as well, even after finishing the 24 Hour Trial this year.  Trail riding, enduro competition, and commuting, I do it all with my beloved Gas Gas, it's the only modern bike I've owned that is more than just a tool for a purpose, I don't think I'll ever sell it.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 08:13:29 pm »
So Graeme, what have you decided ???
If you really want a 250 4 stroker then it has to be the YZF, it is the most reliable.

To all you other guys who have answered this thread, maybe you should re-read what Graeme asked ;) ;D

He wants a RACER, not a roadie come trailie ;D

Graeme, try before you buy, but I still say a YZ250 2-stroker is the bike you are looking for ;)

This is what Motocross Action (April 2007) had to say about it.
10 best bikes in 2007
Number 2 The YZ250
       Yes, we know that everyone says that the 2 strokes are dead, but we arent stupid enough to believe that. After your've spent a few years racing a 4 stroke, you will be amazed by how much fun it is to throw a leg over a YZ250 2 stroke. This bike is a blast to ride, cheap to maintain, and amazingly competitive. This is a great bike for everyone but those who have been brainwashed.
(Number 1 on the list was the CRF450)

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 08:16:57 pm »
You would have to say any 2 stroke for ease of maintenence and if you're scared of maintenence costs. As we all know you have to be 'on the pipe' to make use of a 2 stroke, 125 even more so. A four stroke is much easier.I have owned an '01,'03, '04 and '06 YZ250F. I buy new and sell at the end of season without doing any more than oil changes and shims. They are the most reliable and lowest to maintain.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 10:24:48 pm »
Well, after reading a lot of tests, browsing the web, looking at your replies etc, I think it looks like one of the following:

YZ125 05-07
YZ250 05-07
YZ250F 06-07

I still lean to the F cos I like the thought of that long linear power, but everything I read reckons the YZs have got great power for a 2-stroke. I noticed in one of the local sales websites a guy selling an 07 250T cos he was off OS, and he wanted $800. Either deal of the century or it really is HOT...

But... I think... I'll go for the YZ125, probably a good 06 or 07 if I can find one. I think the 250, while a good bike, may still be too explosive for me to really use fully. As I found with the CR500, too much power is not always a good thing. I want something light, chuckable, good steering, and which I can really wring the neck of and not feel intimidated.

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 10:38:16 pm »
great
according to the worm real men ride 125's

how come iv'e just got myself  a 500 :o

Noel

mx250

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 07:18:00 am »
I think the 250, while a good bike, may still be too explosive for me to really use fully. As I found with the CR500, too much power is not always a good thing. I want something light, chuckable, good steering, and which I can really wring the neck of and not feel intimidated.
It's not hard to change the characteristics of a two stroke - two base gaskets, thicker head gasket (KTM, for one, offers various head and base gaskets for this purpose ex stock) a different pipe (maybe), heavier flywheel weights, and these days, a tunable cdi box. You can make it a fourstroke and then on the side of the track during practice 'bolt off - bolt on' and go from mild to wild according to the conditions/tractions/your mood.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 07:59:43 am »
Even better is Athena have a nice variable combustion chamber that floats with rpm.High comp low rpm, low at high rpm. So no need for any spanners. These days a good 125 can pump 40 odd usable hp out and do that on a piston and a ring every 6 months.
Jesus only loves two strokes

mx250

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 08:25:30 am »
Even better is Athena have a nice variable combustion chamber that floats with rpm.High comp low rpm, low at high rpm.
An Athena what  ???

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 08:35:14 am »
Athena is the brand name of the variable height combustion chamber.Good upgrade even if you fix the height as the domes can be replaced/altered. VHM would do a similar kit and probably work better than the Athena.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 09:09:13 am »
I noticed in one of the local sales websites a guy selling an 07 250T cos he was off OS, and he wanted $800. Either deal of the century or it really is HOT...

Or a bullshit ad placed by one of his mates as a laugh...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 03:46:36 pm »
A YZ125 is a great choice Graeme, and dont worry about kitting it out until you can keep it open everywhere ;D why spend money on an already good bike. Unless you want to be(or already are) at the pointy end and find that you need more power, otherwise isnt it just blinging out the bike ;D ???

TM BILL

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 06:39:12 pm »
Graeme i got a 2006 YZ 125 and i wouldn't trade it for nothin  :) The only modifications i have made is softer shock & fork springs as i am 12 stone dripping wet in all my gear and i retired from supercross when i turned 40.
It is an awsome little bike , i ride it mainly in enduros & cross country events and the occansional club MX
The last modern 125 i raced was a 2003 RM 125 and the YZ has a shit load more power every where espesially in the mid range and bottom end.
You are welcome to test ride the bugger when you come and ride a VMX here  :) cheers Bill.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 10:59:31 pm »
While the modern 125s still go best when revved, don't go thinking that they're dogs when they're off song either.

The 07 RM that I rode, pulled harder and cleaner from low revs than several of the (vintage) 250s I own do... And I'm a big fat bastard for a 125....
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 11:27:30 pm »
Look, I love my little RM125M, and it doesn't have a lot of bottom end at all!

Everything I've read and heard points to the YZ125, and just as I decided that, the universe clicked into gear. Tonight I mentioned my plans to a guy I was talking to and he said "Do you want to buy mine"? His bike turned out to be an 05 in immaculate condition, about 5 hours of use, a few nice goodies and still on original tyres, for the right price. Right there I said I'll take it - it should be in the vmxman garage next weekend...

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2007, 07:13:00 am »
Cool Graeme, you must have patience, once I've said yes to something like that I would've wanted to go to his place straight away. But I surpose the wait will add the excitiment ;D.