Author Topic: Front drum brake useless!  (Read 6446 times)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
Re: Front drum brake useless!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 09:42:56 pm »
I lightly machined my hubs on a lathe to make sure they were clean and round. New cable, new shoes and yes, pull it up tight and lock in the wheel. Noticeably smooth and strong compared to original.
Worth taking the opportunity to clean up the hubs if you find you have your wheels in pieces.
Luke

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 10:57:56 pm »
Another important thing is that standard shoes OD may not be big enough to suit drums that have been machined a few times. I have a couple of bikes that have had so much machined from the drum surface that by the time I have reshaped standard shoes to that diameter, the cam moves too far around to work well. On these bikes I have had extra thick (6mm) linings fitted to the shoes and then machined the linings back to suit the diameter for the drum, so am getting 100% contact area. Lots of trouble despoking and respoking to machine the drum and sending the shoes away for relining, but the results are amazing.
The relining was done by some place in Brisbane. I arranged it through a local (Gladstone) car brake/clutch repair workshop.
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline ELC hunter

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 08:43:29 am »
If you have access to a sand blaster  clean the brake drum surface ,i have found with all the other tips given you get a good strong feeling brake.