Author Topic: 1992 Suzy RM80.Whats it worth?  (Read 12094 times)

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
Re: 1992 Suzy RM80.Whats it worth?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 07:33:51 am »
Nice PE,Michael. Benalla looks like a good place to ride.
No need to give you a hard time owning Chinkers oldskool,you ride what you can,its all about riding and having fun.
No I haven't been to Coomera yet,I keep saying I will,never get round to it.
The place I was riding that suicidal day,is called Pepper Hill,out near Molendinar Industrial estate.Theres a bit of variety in there,and it hasn't attracted the idiot element,yet.Not a bad area,just that 4wds get out there in the mud and really rut the place up.
I was told by a mate out Ormeau way of some tracks in a pretty low key area near him.Not where they all ride at present near the quarry,further down the road apparently,you may know it.When all this wet dries up a bit I'll head out there take a gander.If its the goods,I'll post you.

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 08:30:01 am »
sounds good mark always looking for somewhere to ride always go with the kids so the quieter the better.cheers gary

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 11:51:03 am »
Been pricing new USD forks and wheels already and it's all very cheeeeeep (as one would expect given it's chinka :P) soon as the rain stops I'll be rich and ready to purchase!! ;D

I haven't had much experiance with Chinese bikes but the little I have had hasn't been good.
Never judge a book by its cover
The chinese bikes I have ridden have looked trick as with all their anodised billet pieces & allthough the forks looked good they must have only copied the outside as the forks were total crap with no damping what so ever.
Brakes were much the same. The discs looked good but worked worse than a drum braked stock XT that I had been riding.
I see some of you guys have had a good run with some Chinese stuff so I reckon you really need to research what models are any good.
Just because it's new doesn't mean it will be any good.

And the handling of those pit bikes is woeful compared to any XR 80 or similar
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

DR

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2009, 05:07:09 pm »
Geoff, I think the key element is be 'very selective'. I wouldn't plan on building any sort of half serious bike using chinese parts but the bike in the pic above I'd gladly display beside my true jappers. It may never be ridden but I never modify anything so far that originality cannot be easily restored ;)

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 05:53:52 pm »
i agree geoff while mine have been mechanically good my 13 year old daughter can ride hers better than i can i get off my pe and get on hers and its like learning all over again.was just out washing them after last sundays mud fest and noticed a sticker on the xmotos bike on the engine wich is a zongshen 200cc the sticker says reliable products zongshen standard of japan,dont know if its made there or not.i also used to own a jianshe 200cc full size bike wich was a yamaha copy and yamaha owns jianshe the yamaha pw 50 is made at the jianshe factory alongside the py 50 copys you see.the jianshe 200 was a good bike had plenty of go handled very well for chinese but started doing jumps on it and nearly ended up with the rear shock up my arse :o the mount that holds it to the frame started to crack there was only about 30mm of steel holding it on $120 repair at dave kellets put the bike on evil bay and sold it for $100 more than i paid for it bought a pe and never looked back.cheers gary

firko

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 06:05:38 pm »
A lot of Chinese stuff is shit but there's now a fair bit of quality starting to shine through. I'm using Chinese billet alloy throttles, stainless steel fatty footpegs and chain guides on my hot rod bikes and reckon the parts are better and way cheaper than the more popular branded items. I'm using a Chinese ignition on my Ducati (and possibly the Benelli) and Chinese Filtron knock off air filters on the Benelli. I'm not using the Chinese parts because I'm a tight arse, I'm doing it because the parts are good, full stop.

I've said it on these pages before...It's easy to lay shit on the Chinese products right now because much of it is indeed crap but there is a a smattering of quality parts coming through now and to brush everything aside as 'Chink' rubbish will come back to haunt us. I'm old enough to remember when everyone laughed at Japanese cars. Decent Chinese bikes are just around the corner, trust me. When they finally get it right the whole bike market will go through a revolution like we've never seen before.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 06:07:10 pm by firko »

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2009, 09:49:07 am »
I read somewhere that the Chinese have the technology to build anything,providing they have guidance,and all the relevant information on how to build it.
Look at the Puzey,designed by others,built by Chinese.It looks good,has gotten good reviews,has a few bugs to iron out,nothing serious,and its well priced.So you could be right Mark,about its only a matter of time before they get it right!
The killa Yamoto 200 thing I have was the town bike.I think 2004-ish model.My ex's son bought it.She didn't want him to have it as he had never ridden a bike before,besides that it was siezed at the time.So I got it off him.
As you've stated Geoff it falls short of quality suspension,and brakes,but the motors quite strong.I also have PY80 lookalike,that has amazed me for still going strong since I purchased it secondhand in December 06.Its done a lot of miles,and was the little fellas first bike,so its been abused some.All I've ever bought for it was an oil injector pump.Simply keeps going. ;D
So we might have to change our tune to:
I think I'm turning Chinkanese,turning Chinkanese,I say I think so!

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2009, 10:13:26 am »
mark if lt is the 2 stroke py80 everything on it is yamaha,i know a mechanic near me at beenleigh he just rebuilt one for a customer and every part he bought for the motor he bought from yamaha.one of the bikes i own is made by shineray witch i think from memory when i was looking up stuff about it before i bought it have been making ignition systems and wiring harneses for honda and suzuki bikes and cars tor years,and they have there own motorcross team that does pretty good in asia.the shineray is based on a honda even the exhaust system is exactly the same as xr/crf100.cheers gary

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2009, 06:44:04 pm »
Gary,you could be right.I know bugger all about them. ???
The stamp on PY80 lookalikes engine case's is: STROLL.
I tried looking that up,but came up empty.I can't find any other info for the bike,but as I typed previously this bike has bee fantasic.

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2009, 06:52:31 pm »
picking up on Firko's comment - briefly - we use steel grinding balls in our mills here at work - 18 months ago we changed supply for a trial of chinese balls - manufactured under international supervision.  Since then we have changed to these chinese balls because consumption dropped by average of 40% saving us millions over that time.  It can be done if supervised properly.  ;D

And I can remember when made in Japan meant made of shite!

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2009, 08:14:26 pm »
Ever notice how not so long ago you steered clear of anything saying Made in Taiwan & now most of their stuff is great-most big US name bicycle frames are now made there. If Taiwan is 20yrs behind Japan in quality at the worst & rapidly catching then how far behind is China? Just a thought

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2009, 08:22:35 pm »
China is already capable of making good stuff, as most large companies have their products made there,
It's just chinese designs that are crap.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2009, 09:53:47 pm »
Although i wouldnt touch chinese bike stuff just yet, the other day i was just looking at this whole new type of high powered LED torches that just blow everything else out of the water. Im not talking about the $3 touches with 5mm LED's you can find on ebay or cheap shops. These are a different sort of high powered LED with beam strength and penertation that surpases halogen. These torches also have digital programing where you can program the beam brightness etc. The thing i was amazed with that a lot of these different torch brands (there are lots which makes buying one a hard decision as there is so many features/types/qualities) are made in China and some of the good  known American brands are made offshore in China too.And these toruches can cost anywhere from $50 to several hundred dollars for just a tiny AAA or AAA torch. My eyes quickly opened because i still thought the good old 'Maglite' was still the torch to have but i quickly realized how they are now way behind the times and not that good compared to te latest generation stuff. So the bottom line is that China can make really good stuff when they really want to and the price is usually a good indication of the quality.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022