VMX and Dirt track and Stadium cross and Vinduro and Amcross
14 (23%)
Restorer & enthusiast only (Non rider)
5 (8.2%)
Cyber Racer
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: October 11, 2009, 09:32:18 pm

Author Topic: Whats your cup of tea  (Read 4204 times)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your cup of tea
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 12:50:32 pm »
Interesting Stats, most interesting is the 8+% that restore/collect only-hope they can put someone on them and get them out of the shed.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 04:43:23 pm »
Only 1 cyber racer .................  :o
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 05:14:15 pm »
Interesting Stats, most interesting is the 8+% that restore/collect only-hope they can put someone on them and get them out of the shed.

I imagine a lot of people fall a bit into the category collector / rider, sitting the nice ones with the mint alloy tanks and frgile gearboxes on their stands and having a few rider bikes as well.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 08:38:24 am »
As I've said many times before, I don't do dirt track - but not because I've got anything against DT! Its just that I've got a ton of other things taking up my spare time and my money, so any involvement in DT will only spread my resources even thinner.
DT went to the bottom of my list because it was never something I aspired to do as a kid - but like most kids of my age with a dirt bike, I always imagined that I was roosting Leisk/Gall/Ballard/Lovett everytime I was belting around a flat paddock on a clapped out SL70... :D

For me, the priorities are VMX and Vinduro (I see the Canowindra style StadiumCross as simply being a variation of VMX, FWIW).

I get a bit cagey when I read stuff along the lines of "if we don't support the VDT Nats, then VMX could die"  - I see them as related, but two different sports. There's a large percentage of VDT riders who don't do VMX. Do they get berated for not attending VMX events? 
If the interest in VDT is waning, then the issue needs to be looked at more widely - is the problem confined to VDT or does it afflict VMX as well? Etc.

One of the things I find frustrating about the people in the old dirt bike world, is that everyone seems to feel the need to solve problems entirely independantly. Its like its against the rules to look at how other sports/clubs have dealt/struggled with similiar issues - so we always have to learn stuff the hard way, rather than drawing on others' experience.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 12:02:24 pm »
Nathan. You have a very valid point in that we should not think our troubles are ours alone and we can use other examples to find solutions more quickly.
In the UK there is a long thread on the Twin Shock forum along the same lines as we have here in s/car cross. ''What outfits are legal and what about if someone built a twin twostroke this or that'' and it all comes down to trying to stay with-in the 'feel' of the sport. Getting the look right for the spectators should be a big concern, along with keeping the costs real.
And while on the subject of spectators, none of the events I've been to have been over attended by any means and I'm not sure if they are informed enough or if the promoters want to keep them low to save other problems.