Author Topic: Matt Daley  (Read 15230 times)

Doggy Digger

Re: Matt Daley
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 07:31:36 PM »
OLD GUNS UNDER THE RADAR
While Laps of Legends repeats at each CD (with essentially the same old names), I'd like to pose this question.   

Is there some way ... any way ... for the average punters to know what other old legends are there?
An example is Matt Daley.   This post illustrates quite well the fact that he was there; that he didn't think he
was of interest; and that it was only by chance he was outed.
Another example (this time Broadford HBBB 2010) was Rod Hunter just wandering around at Broadford.   
I would have LOVED to meet him down there.   I didn't know at time he was there - and only found out the next day, after he had gone. 
And I don't know what he looks like anyway.
Other examples: Vern Grayson; the car racer from 1970s, etc etc

In cases like the above, this year we may have old guns possibly turn up at Classic Dirt - and average punters may not even know
A/   That they are there and having a look around CD8
B/   What they even look like.

I personally would much rather sit on a haybale talking quietly to a few old legends, rather than watching the
"pretty much same" list of established riders doing broadcast interviews and laps.  (Sorry!)  I recognise Legends
Laps is essential, but I want to cut deeper into the crowd of whoever may be out there.

To try and summarise my ramble, I am asking if there is any way we can get some sort of database of all old heroes ... and
some way we can catch up with them, if we don't know what they look like 30 years later with helmets off?

I'm not demanding answers... just floating an issue.

Maybe a central contacts NOTICE BOARD near Sign-up?

(The notice board could also serve as a whole-of-event contact point for anyone searching for any other person/part/club/memory etc)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 07:36:00 PM by Doggy Digger »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 07:55:36 PM »
just floating an issue.
Some of us can age gracefully- others dont   ;)  ;D
1:Not an easy one to get old riders/legend to put there names up on the board if they dont think they are a legend/old gun.
2:A knowledgable signon person needs to be available to coilate/invite the list when signon is open.Avalablity   :P
3:Some returned legends/old guns may not be riding.
4:Public notice board is a good idea,if they are willing to be exposed  ;D
5:Name badges ?
cheers
Quote:The notice board could also serve as a whole-of-event contact point for anyone searching for any other person/part/club/memory etc)
Have seen this before at Caravan Parks for the mail.  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline oldie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 08:29:45 PM »
Did anyone on this forum see Matt ride in his heyday.

Yeah, I saw him race at Christmas Hills, I was at that meeting in c grade, I've also seen him race at Beaconsfield, Pakenham, Sunbury, Wallan, all those tracks are gone now.

firko

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 10:41:08 AM »
:Not an easy one to get old riders/legend to put there names up on the board if they dont think they are a legend/old gun.
That's so true...When we dragged Per Klitland to CD4 he was having a great time just mingling with the punters, checking out the bikes and having the occasional chat with those who recognised him. When Smithy and Billy Forsyth were taking  group photos of the 'legends' he was standing back with me watching the group of old greats line up until I told him that he needed to get over to the photo shoot. He protested that he was never a legend and that nobody remembered him any more and it took a lot of convincing and Anthony Gunter and Hans Apelgren to drag the reluctant old champ into the photo shoot.

When I'd attempted to introduce him to Craig Dack earlier in the day Per also held back, stating that Craig wouldn't know who he was. I had to bring Dacka to Per and it was amazing seeing the look on the old Danes face change as Dacka rattled off Pers Mr Motocross exploits like the fan that he had been as a kid. In the end they swapped yarns for over half an hour before we moved on to finish the photo shoot. Before he left, Dacka searched out Per to say farewell and tell him how great it was to have finally met him. ......He's a very quiet and humble man our Per ;)

Offline HuskyPete

• A-Grade
  • Huskys Only, maybe a CCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 01:57:48 PM »
Sent Matt an email today to let him know that CD 8 is on in June.

1967 360 Viking, 1969 360 Cross, 1974 250 Mag x 3, 1974 400 Cross x 1, 1974 450 WR, 1975 250GP, 1976 250 WR, 1978 390 Auto, 1982.5 500 Gold Bullet. 1976 390 OR, 78 CCM

Offline HuskyPete

• A-Grade
  • Huskys Only, maybe a CCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 03:31:23 PM »
Reply from Matt,

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info, we will try and make it this year. Thanks for thinking of us and Happy New Year to you.

Regards,
Matt & June
1967 360 Viking, 1969 360 Cross, 1974 250 Mag x 3, 1974 400 Cross x 1, 1974 450 WR, 1975 250GP, 1976 250 WR, 1978 390 Auto, 1982.5 500 Gold Bullet. 1976 390 OR, 78 CCM

Offline rn400

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 10:25:33 PM »
has anybody got photos of mat at the aust titles in about 1967 at mt kembla near woollongong?

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »
A couple of pics of Matt, also a Yamaha getting a fair workout  :o

Matt Daley and Jim scaysbrook
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:14:10 PM by KB171 »

Curly3

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 04:43:18 PM »
Don Newell is still riding the same bike, I think.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
don is riding the same bike with the original ;D

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 06:16:01 PM »
  As a regular rider at Moorebank, I first met Matt there not long after he arrived from Q'land, probably about '64..I had seen him ride so impressively and was on the 'phone to my dad who lived at Buderim and was a mate of Dudley Wiles. Dudley 'discovered' Matt apparently and put him on a very fast Beeza Bantam as the story goes and the rest as they say is history.

I noticed in an earlier post Steve mentioned Ray Curtis. I first saw Ray ride at Oran park road racing a Bonneville with dirt style bars .Spectacular! What we used to call "A guts man!!!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline rn400

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 09:09:30 PM »
Did anyone on this forum see Matt ride in his heyday.
[yes at ipswitch in 1970 aust titles/quote]

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »
Don Newell is still riding the same bike, I think.
Don is still riding his original '74 Bully's but probably still has that one pictured.

Curly3

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »
Hey Pancho, Ray rode my dad's Goldie at Oran Park with the dirt track bars still fitted and was awesome, sliding into corners certainly made for some different lines by the others.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:21:26 PM by SlideRulz »

Curly3

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 06:47:37 AM »
Sadly Alison it's long gone, sold on many years ago along with too many other classics to remember.