Author Topic: Lest we Forget.  (Read 29459 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Lest we Forget.
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2013, 08:43:54 AM »
small group of us here on site - happens again - but the turn out was good, the service excellent, the friends great and the memories even more so.

Thank you to all
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2013, 09:55:57 AM »

" They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old; Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them. ”
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:13:25 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2013, 10:25:49 AM »
Best is in the West !!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »
I met a lovely Vietnamese family at this mornings dawn service. The granddaughter of the 80 odd year old dad of the family (who spoke little English) told me that he had insisted that his family attend every Anzac service since he'd been in Australia. She said that Grandad fought alongside Aussies against the Vietcong and felt that he "owed" it to his Aussie mates who died trying to unite his country. The old fellas 10 year old great grandson proudly wore all of his Vietnemese medals but Grand dad wore just two medals, one he's received from the Americans and the other from Australia. I would have loved to have known why he'd been honoured by three countries in the same war but I don't think the old bloke would have talked about it, even if he had posessed a better grasp of English. The pride on the old warriors face when a small group of Aussie Vietnam vets came up to shake his hand and give him a hug was priceless. His sons and grand daughters were all crying with pride...........and so was I.  
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2013, 10:52:11 AM »
WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2013, 11:08:03 AM »
Brings it all home doesnt it Firko, we are so lucky to live here.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2013, 01:50:56 PM »
Brings it all home doesnt it Firko, we are so lucky to live here.
yes we are mate

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »
There was a good turn out at the dawn service here in Clare this morning. The crowd was the biggest I have seen since I moved here 10 years ago, unfortunately we we missing another 4 vets who have passed away since last ANZAC Day, and without the real Vets (WW2, Korea, Vietnam) it will soon mean a lot less.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Hardex

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2013, 04:38:25 PM »
I met a lovely Vietnamese family at this mornings dawn service. The granddaughter of the 80 odd year old dad of the family (who spoke little English) told me that he had insisted that his family attend every Anzac service since he'd been in Australia. She said that Grandad fought alongside Aussies against the Vietcong and felt that he "owed" it to his Aussie mates who died trying to unite his country. The old fellas 10 year old great grandson proudly wore all of his Vietnemese medals but Grand dad wore just two medals, one he's received from the Americans and the other from Australia. I would have loved to have known why he'd been honoured by three countries in the same war but I don't think the old bloke would have talked about it, even if he had posessed a better grasp of English. The pride on the old warriors face when a small group of Aussie Vietnam vets came up to shake his hand and give him a hug was priceless. His sons and grand daughters were all crying with pride...........and so was I.  

Well Put Firko ,
Not afraid to say it Made me tear up

Offline Rod Rocket

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2013, 05:56:24 PM »
+1 more

Well Put Firko ,
Not afraid to say it Made me tear up
I,m not very smart but I can lift heavy objects.(well I used to be able to.)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
Firko - must admit - we had our service here on site in the northern highlands of Lao - was very happy to see some of our Lao staff - who took the time to find out what was happening - come along and join in.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2013, 10:06:46 PM »
I was delighted when the regional primary school where my kids now go had an extensive Anzac Day ceremony on April 24, that included a bagpipe player and a local Vietnam veteran as a guest speaker. The inner city school they've previously been attending never did anything at all.

It really made an impression on the youngsters. They learnt something and it made them think a little about what the day really means.

Tex

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2013, 10:04:57 AM »
Grand dad wore just two medals, one he's received from the Americans and the other from Australia
I was reminded by my friend who went with me to the service that I'd made a mistake. The two medals the old fella wore were one from Australia and the other from France, not America as I said.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

IT400C

« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2013, 10:59:49 AM »
My Brother and I took my 5 year old son and 9 year old nephew to the March in the Brisbane CBD yesterday.  First time for both of them.

They both took it in their strides really well.

Now that they've experienced the March, it'll be the Dawn Service next year.

Also, was quite impressed with my sons school - they had a special Anzac Day Assembly Wednesday afternoon, and they taught Anzac stories and had the 5 year olds doing Anzac themed tasks all week in the lead up to the Day.

IT400C

« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »
Hmmm - anyone know how to chase down where medals may have come from?

I was going through my Grandfather's box of medals Wednesday night (he was one of the Rats of Tobruk and passed away a couple of years ago).

Apart from his medals (and miniatures), there were lot's of others I know very little about. 

A couple of WW1 service medals - both his uncles served - both at Gallipoli and one buried in Belgium.
One that seems to be Boer War?
One that seems to be for a WW1 nurse?
And one old newspaper clipping for someone that shares his family name (he's my maternal grandfather) who was mentioned in dispatches - either Boer War or WW1?

I'd like to follow up on these medals and gather more info, but no idea where to start..