Author Topic: Lest we Forget.  (Read 29458 times)

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Lest we Forget.
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »
I'd like to follow up on these medals and gather more info, but no idea where to start..

This may be of some help: http://www.defence.gov.au/medals/

Tex

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2013, 09:30:41 PM »
my late dad was in ww2 and how do I go about finding out more about what he did in his time in the navy and army coz its something he never wanted to talk about ??? and as respect to him when he was alive I never pushed the point.

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2013, 11:06:51 PM »
Matt, the link that Tex posted is to the Directorate of Honours and Awards for Australia. They are located in Cooma and are the point of contact for all medals and awards for serving and ex-serving members or family. They would be able to give you specific info on awards and medals that have been issued, and should also be able to check if there are any outstanding awards he is entitled to (such as the ADM [Australian Defence Medal] that was introduced 6 or 7 years back for ALL current and previous serving ADF members). You could get that medal 'posthumously' awarded to him and you could accept it on his behalf. I am looking to do this for my Late Grandfather who served the Army in WWII.

Make contact with them mate and I am sure they will assist you.

As far as finding out service details - well.... thats another issue altogether. You would have to contact the ADF Freedom Of Information registrar as a third party (normally only accessed by Lawyers or legal practitioners so you may need to seek legal assistance to gain access):
http://www.defence.gov.au/foi/onbehalf.htm

This is only good if He discharged from the Army after 1947.

If he discharged prior to 1947, then you should make contact with DVA (Department of Veterans Affairs) and their website link is listed on the same site mate.

Hope this helps you out a bit.
Being a serving member myself mate - I know these sorts of things can be cumbersome and time consuming, but keep plugging at it and they will assist you. DVA are generally very helpful with these issues.

Cheers,
Dave.

IT400C

« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »
Hey Matt,

Definitely check out Tex and Hardo's links.  I did, and have so far worked out that I have..

My Grandfather's 
MBE, 1939-1945 Star, Africa Star, Defence Medal, War Medal 1939-1945, Australia Service Medal 1939-1945, (Unofficial) Tobruk Siege 1941 Medal.

From my (two) Great, Great Uncles - 2 x British War Medals 1914-1918, 1 x Victory Medal (only one g-g-uncle survived the war).  They both served at Gallipoli (one landed on the first day, one a week later), so there should also be 2 x 1914-1915 stars, but I don't have them it seems.

From a Great, Great Aunt - one x 1914-1915 Star (a nurse with the AIF), and a Sterling Silver badge that I cant find listed anywhere on the Defence website, but it says on the front "Issued by Dept of Defence to Women of Australia For Duty Done"..  Also I have her "Returned Soldiers & Sailors Imperial League Australia" badge, with a "1920" clasp on it.

From a 3 x Great Uncle I have a Boer War Victoria Medal with Cape Colony clasp - no George Medal though - he died of disease over there in 1902, so he may not have got the George Medal..  Also an engraved badge that it looks like he was given when he left for South Africa from "Fingal Friends - Feb. 1901".  Also have a newspaper clipping from 1902 saying that he was 'Mentioned In Despatches'

Still have to chase what a Great Aunt of mine may have been eligible for - she served in the 'Australian Army Medical Womens Services', and I know that there is another 2xGreat Uncle who served in WW1, and was discharged after being gassed in France.

So Matt - Yes, definitely follow up on those links!  Well worth it!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:25:50 AM by IT400C »

IT400C

« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2013, 01:35:02 AM »
Just found this on the War Memorial website

So it would have been my G-G-Grandmother's as 2 of her sons were serving in WW1

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2013, 01:54:18 AM »
Australian Imperial Forces.... that is WAY cool mate.

This is before we even had the Navy, Army and Air Force ! 

Your family is a Directorate of Honours and Awards Nightmare with all that decorated history !!   :o

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2013, 01:06:56 AM »
ok Dave and Tony thanks for the links and incouragement,ill see what I can find out. do they still issue medals for the service men that never collected them coz im sure my dad never did as he wanted to forget about what had happened,not in disrespect to others that had fallen but his way of coping with it.

IT400C

« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2013, 02:09:20 AM »
I think they do.  Especially for next of kin.

And your dad wasn't the only one who never kept/collected his medals.  I found a letter in my grandfather's stuff about his medals being reissued in the late 70's as the originals were lost.  Yet none of his relatives medals were lost at the same time...
Maybe he didn't take as much care of his as his uncle's...

IT400C

« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2013, 02:20:14 AM »
Oh, and check out the Australian War Memorial site.  They have the Nominal Rolls available, as well as links to stuff on the National Archives site. 

I managed to download copies of the unit records for my grandfather's unit.  (2/12 battalion).

Mostly boring stuff, but some gems included.  Things like being strafed by the Germans while training on Salisbury Plains during the Battle of Britain.   Never knew they went to Britain before Africa.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2013, 10:34:47 AM »
Remembrance Day is observed on 11 November to recall the end of hostilities of World War I on that date in 1918. Hostilities formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month," in accordance with the Armistice, signed by representatives of Germany and the Entente between 5:12 and 5:20 that morning. ("At the 11th hour" refers to the passing of the 11th hour, or 11:00 am) World War I officially ended with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles on 28 June 1919.

Hope a red poppy comes your way war attendee's, RIP
Best is in the West !!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2013, 11:12:59 AM »
Thanks Diggers ;).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »
Here here.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2013, 11:19:02 AM »
Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2013, 01:40:20 PM »
RIP respect and thankyou !