Author Topic: yz 465h front hub  (Read 2371 times)

burty400

yz 465h front hub
« on: December 04, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
I have recently purchased a set of yz465h forks and now looking for a wheel and brake hub to suit.Could anyone tell me the difference between the YZ H model and IT front wheel/brake or are they the same.
Cheers
Dean

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: yz 465h front hub
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 03:40:45 PM »
Same.

There are three different hubs that are almost identical, and a fourth type that is operationally identical (but looks a bit different).

1. Early. Ran from the first RT1MX to the 76 models. Can be identified by the nine small ribs between the spokes on the non-brake side. Casting number is same as RT1MX prefix (322?)

2. Common. Fitted to virtually everything 77~82ish. Basically identical to above, but doesn't have the little ribs. Has three little tabs sticking out of the non-brake side for IT speedo drive. 1K7 or 2K7 prefix cast in.

3. DT125/175 monoshock. Still basically the same thing, but has speedo drive on the brake side, and the three little tabs are missing. 2A6 prefix.
4. YZ-K (maybe J as well?). Different style ribbing around the outside of the drum, that I can't explain. Can't recall the prefix - 23X maybe?

There's also the TT/XT500 type hub that sounds just like #1, but has a much larger drum, and there's also the XT550 type which sounds like #2/3, except its got a larger brake than the YZ type hub (and smaller than the XT500).

The brake backing plates for the YZ-type hubs are a bit trickier.

1. Twin shock + first gen monoshock. The brake lug on the fork and the cable are parallel.
2. Monoshock single leader. As above, but the brake lug is at about 45* to horizontal, and the boss around the axle is a lot longer (well, wider).
3. Angled twin leader. From YZ465, YZ125L and maybe others. (The 465 has steel arms, 125L has alloy, if you want to be a real train spotter).
4. Horizontal lug twin leader. As the name suggests, the brake lug is parallel to the ground. These are the most common type - from the ITs and most YZs with the twin leader front brake.
This pic shows a bike fitted with a #2 type, and #1 type being held below it. I was attempting to hold the lower one at the angle that the lug would be in a set of non-leading axle forks - note the angle of the cable stay relative to the brake lug:

Types 2,3 & 4 can be interchanged, but it puts the brake cable at various whacky angles.
Alternatively, if you match the LHS fork leg to the brake backing plate, then you'll solve the whacky angle thing.

Hope that makes sense. I'm a bit vague on exactly which bike had which type of twin leader, but that's a good start.

Can help with a hub (not a complete wheel) and a type 4 twin leading brake, if they're any help to you.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:34:50 PM by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:38:38 PM »
Dean,
I got a complete wheel, brake front set up, I will just need to check the lug mount, I assume yours has the 45 degree mount on the fork.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:33:42 PM »
jeez nathan i was gunna say something
but i dont know what to say now ;D
follow me to first turn

burty400

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 11:36:20 PM »
Nathan thanks for all the info.The forks are currently in the mail so i am not 100% sure what angle the brake lug is all i know is that they are from a yz465h.The may concern i have is that what ever twin leading brake setup i use is EVO class legal.
EVO550 i will let you know what the type of brake lug it is when i receive them.
Thanks for the help.
Dean

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 11:40:50 PM »
I was a bit dissapointed nathan didn't go into more detail, should we ask him to clarify his statemnt ;)

lms6201

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 06:10:36 AM »
h forks have the (approx)45 deg lug j,k l have the horizontal lug , the later forks have plastic covers on the bottom of the alloy slider

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 11:04:35 AM »
dean,
I have checked oput the wheel and brake, it appears as if the backing plate will fit the horizontal lugged fork, the wheel, well it will fit either.
Let me know, if you want it.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 12:14:13 PM »
Same.

There are three different hubs that are almost identical, and a fourth type that is operationally identical (but looks a bit different).

1. Early. Ran from the first RT1MX to the 76 models. Can be identified by the nine small ribs between the spokes on the non-brake side. Casting number is same as RT1MX prefic (363???)
2. Common. Fitted to virtually everything 77~82ish. Basically identical to above, but doesn't have the little ribs. Has three little tabs sticking out of the non-brake side for IT speedo drive. 1K7 or 2K7 prefix cast in.
3. DT125/175 monoshock. Still basically the same thing, but has speedo drive on the brake side, and the three little tabs are missing. 2A6 prefix.
4. YZ-K (maybe J as well?). Different style ribbing around the outside of the drum, that I can't explain. Can't recall the prefix - 23X maybe?

There's also the TT/XT500 type hub that sounds just like #1, but has a much larger drum, and there's also the XT550 type which sounds like #2/3, except its got a larger brake than the YZ type hub (and smaller than the XT500).

The brake backing plates for the YZ-type hubs are a bit trickier.

1. Twin shock + first gen monoshock. The brake lug on the fork and the cable are parallel.
2. Monoshock single leader. As above, but the brake lug is at about 45* to horizontal, and the boss around the axle is a lot longer (well, wider).
3. Angled twin leader. From YZ465, YZ125L and maybe others. (The 465 has steel arms, 125L has alloy, if you want to be a real train spotter).
4. Horizontal lug twin leader. As the name suggests, the brake lug is parallel to the ground. These are the most common type - from the ITs and most YZs with the twin leader front brake.

Types 2,3 & 4 can be interchanged, but it puts the brake cable at various whacky angles.
Alternatively, if you match the LHS fork leg to the brake backing plate, then you'll solve the whacky angle thing.

Hope that makes sense. I'm a bit vague on exactly which bike had which type of twin leader, but that's a good start.

Can help with a hub (not a complete wheel) and a type 4 twin leading brake, if they're any help to you.

I gotta know, is this from memory or do you have this documented somewhere, if it's from memory i wish i had that recall, now what was i talking about  ???
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

lms6201

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 09:30:05 PM »
u could build something good here , i have a set of lowers to suit evo,s horizontal lug bbp ,with the adjustable valves no less ,

burty400

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 10:22:34 PM »
I have finally received the forks  the lug on the fork is  approx at 45% .If anyone can help me out with a twin leading brake plate and wheeel or hub to suite it would be much appreciated.
cheers Dean

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 10:52:45 PM »
I can definitely help you out with a hub - and I'll give you a discount for a bulk buy! :lol:

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.