Author Topic: Postage Costs for eBay Items  (Read 4779 times)

Tony T

Postage Costs for eBay Items
« on: October 23, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
Has anyone else noticed the cost of postage from the U.S. and Asia lately?
Workshop manual $40.00 from the US. Exhaust heat sheild $55.00 from the US.
And a 90cc barrel $65.00 from Thailand.  :o
Has postage increased? Is the seller just trying to make more from the sale? Or has it always been this bad and I'm just noticing?

Tony T

Re: Postage Costs for eBay Items
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Ross.
Yes, this particular manual was fairly thick, but it only cost me $63.00 to get a big Acerbis tank sent over last year.  ???

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 06:01:57 PM »
1  pair of shocks out of the States only cost me $36-00 last week

mx250

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 06:04:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Ross.
Yes, this particular manual was fairly thick, but it only cost me $63.00 to get a big Acerbis tank sent over last year.  ???
Ya bin touched up ::)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 06:36:27 PM »
Yeah I've noticed it as well.  >:(
Particularly the big time sellers. Won a brake pedal a while back for 0.99 and got hit US32.00 to send....XL rear grab rail US35.00.
A lot of 'em are cranking up the "packaging"  part of the deal as well.
It's usually an idea to check the price on the postage stickers when it turns up. had a few Aussies doing it too! Stuff a pair of boots in a shopping bag....charge 25.00 to post and it shows up with a 15.00 postage price on it....F&%#s
I must be one of those dumb honest people who only charge what the postage costs. ::)

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 07:39:07 PM »
yep you have been touched. i do charge more than the post cost add tape ,packaging time to pack and drive to p.o  .i add abit to cover these costs -stupid not to but they is no excuse for exhorbinate charges  again  check before buying os

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »
I have 2 stores that I get my NOS Yamaha parts from - exactly the same part from one of them (4 x) was $4 the other $13 )after I asked why it was $24???).

Guess who gets the majority of my business?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Tony T

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 08:24:02 PM »
Ya bin touched up ::)

They're not prices I've paid, just prices I've seen on items I would have bought if the postage wasn't so stupid.  ::)
Seems to be more common now though.............  >:(

runutz698

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 08:33:55 PM »
Yeah it is quite common for the postage to be high, but genrally indcates bad ebayers having brought and  sold stuff for years.

I had some american dealer try to tell me that to post out a carby was going to be 40dollars I told him to get f$$$ed. As I have brought heaps of parts from the us and postage for a swingarm plastic tank sprockets only cost me $40US. After heaps of messages he wanted basicly for me to pay for his time on hourly rate to wrap the item, also to chuck some juice in his tank so he can get to the post office, then pay for postage. mmmmm Never buy off these people and they will learn.

I only charge what the post office charge me same at my place of work, suppliers try to charge people 25bucks for 8dollar courier and these are big companies, so you really got to whatch freight as it can kill a good deal. If it is not shown ask before bidding and save yourself a whole lot of stuffing around.

Tony T

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 08:38:17 PM »
I just got a reply from one guy in Thailand that wanted $US75.00 for postage.
I asked the question and he's offered me regular air mail for $47.00.  ;D
So it seems he was trying to rip me off in the first place.  :D

runutz698

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 08:58:32 PM »
I think it is a game as some people will just pay!!! So the ones that do they make a fourtune.

Tom

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 09:14:08 PM »
I always check the USPS website where they have the prices listed for various sizes boxes and parcels.  That way I make sure the seller isnt ripping me off.  http://postcalc.usps.gov/default.aspx?Mode=Intl_Single&CID=10013

Major sellers who use eBay for their main source of income do need to cover legitimate business expenses for packaging, materials, time spent by them (or a staff member maybe?) waiting in the queue at the post office etc.  I dont mind that.  I do get pissed at private sellers thinking they should be able to claim additional costs off buyers that bear zero relation to their needs.  Just money for jam.

I was very close to paying for something recentlyt and telling the vendor to keep it as the shipping wasnt worth it.  Should have asked first before bidding...although some people refuse to quote.  Possibly if they are a big seller and would spend heaps of time trying to work out postage costs for people who never even bid.  Would piss me off eventually too I suppose.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 09:58:33 AM »
Thank PZ for the new calculator , my older USPS calc had a hiccup in it and quoted $9999.00 for all items!!!!
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Doc

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 02:57:39 PM »
just out of interest $50USD is about $82AU as of last night via PayPal conversion rate (0.60cents). Until the $ get stronger with that sort of rate local items are looking far more competitive ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 08:30:37 AM by Doc »

Offline lyle2212

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »
One prick from the USA after stating $20US postage for 2 items decided to keep the $65US that I had to send him for the 2 itemised bike parts. When the package arrived I noted that the postage stamp was indeed $20US. After he ignored 4 messages, I hit him with 2 lots of Neg feedback. Well the messages arrived thick and fast then....eventually he apolagised and refunded me the $45US difference.