Author Topic: DYO Zinc plating  (Read 9658 times)

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
DYO Zinc plating
« on: September 08, 2016, 03:31:19 PM »
I am getting a bit tired waiting for platers to find time to plate my resto bits , sometimes up to six weeks . It just slows you down soo much . I have heard about plating kits . Are they any good ? What is a good source ? Anyone has experience with that ?
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: DYO Zinc plating
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »
I tried it once, think it was a caswell plating kit or something like that. I couldn't get good results at all, don't think I could clean it properly.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 05:04:26 PM »
I use a Jane kit Walter.

https://janekits.com.au/

Like anything, it all comes down to preparation, but the results are good if you put the time in. If you build yourself a little barrel plater the results are excellent. Plenty of information on the net.

Pete.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 06:22:10 PM »
get on to café husky forum, they had a big thread on the ins and outs ofdiy plating. some of the guys were getting good results. id post a link but im computer illiterate :-[.

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:19:48 PM »

I plate and love the convenience of being able to plate a single item or a set of spokes whenever it suits. I have plated in nickel and zinc and prefer zinc for various reasons.

I was lucky enough to have another forum member walk me through the process and although we're in different states I'm happy to chat about it if you like. There's  plenty of u tube vids on it as well.

I didn't buy a kit but the power supply and the consumables separately.

Cheers

Geoff
Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 07:34:15 PM »
There is a thread on here some place which explains what you need and how to set one up from scratch.

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 08:06:08 PM »
I have a Jane kit and have found it fantastic, as others have said preparation is the key, I also found for the best results you shouldn't overload the bath.
The less you have in the bath the better the plating.   
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline Mudnut

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 08:51:39 PM »
Never tried doing it myself , but if you ask the plating firm if you can wire up all the parts yourself so they just hang all the parts of the racks it makes it so much quicker . A standard restore takes about 10 m of cooper coated wire to get all the parts Zinc plated . I obtain for the wire from them and spend two hours fitting every nut , bolt , shaft , bracket etc  ( even spokes and nipples ) to the wire in 1 meter lengths.Then give it back  to them , get it back in 2 days still attached to the wire . All for 60 bucks .  I'm in Perth , so cant comment on other states . The wiring up takes the time , hanging on the racks takes minutes .
cheers  MN

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 10:36:46 PM »
Hi All

I think this link came up on here once before. I have everything needed except time to do it now.

I was chasing the sacrificial zinc pieces and as luck would have it, I went to a boat shop down the road that was closing the next day. When I asked for a piece of zinc anode he went out the back and came back with a full shoe box size tray. I picked up a piece and he said $20 dollars. I said OK but he said for the lot. 14kg of zinc!! For 20 bucks!!!!!!

Now I really just have to find the time.

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/topic/67790-home-zinc-plating/?hl=zinc+plating#entry773915

Peter B
Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....

Offline Short Stuff

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 05:10:42 PM »

I was zinc plating over the weekend and very happy with the results.  Used a Jane Kit.

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 06:15:58 PM »
How do you clean your parts?

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 06:34:10 PM »
They look like Bultaco Sherpa T parts ?

Offline Short Stuff

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 07:42:06 PM »
They look like Bultaco Sherpa T parts ?

Good call, they are   :)

Offline Short Stuff

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 07:44:39 PM »
How do you clean your parts?

Clean any grease and gunk with kero.
Wire wheel them on bench grinder.
10 - 15 min soak in Jane Clean (part of the Jane Kit)
Wire wheel them again to get them to the state of finish I'm after.
De-grease them with Parts wash (part of the Jane Kit)

Then plate.

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 07:12:40 PM »
One member PM me with this link   http://www.caswellplating.com.au/store/store.php/categories/anodising-kits   . Anyone that is using this system ?
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.