Author Topic: NO TIME WASTERS!!  (Read 12964 times)

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
NO TIME WASTERS!!
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:31:36 AM »
Just a general thought as I'm looking for a car at the moment. Not aimed at any person or actual occurrence.........

What exactly does that mean in an ad? Am I wasting your time by calling to enquire? By coming to have a look if it sounds like it's what I want? By trying to negotiate a better deal so you get to sell it and I get to buy it?

Even if I'm just calling to have a chat about the car, which I wouldn't do anyway, isn't that a chance for you to have a go at selling it to me? Or do you just expect someone to roll up and hand you the list price in cash and tow or drive it away? Bit unrealistic?

Just seems odd to me. And mildly offensive for some reason. So I generally just move on to the next ad and don't bother wasting the sellers time at all in any way shape or form.

Not trying to be a smart @rse. Just curious as to why people do it? I know selling stuff can be annoying but isn't that just part of the deal?
#66 - Fat Snail Racing.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: NO TIME WASTERS!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 09:20:33 AM »
This is only my opinion
80% of the VMX stuff for sale does not sell. Mostly it is well over priced. We see the same stuff/bikes on for sale sites endlessly. Maybe the time wasters are people or low ballers as the yanks call them are just normal people offering what the real price should be? Way to many find an old AG 175 and believe it is worth thousands. To me these are the real time wasters just filling up ebay with stuff that will never sell.
Someone asked me the other day why I was selling one of my bikes so cheap. I said I actually want to sell it.
Sorry if a little of topic. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 09:34:27 AM »
My take on it us the seller obviously thinks they have priced to what they expect. If an offer is going to be mote than say.. 10% below then its a waste of time for the seller to make themselves and the product available.  If the product is not sold in a reasonable amount of time then seller keeps it or they lower the price to the offers made and it is then the seller realises its themselves who has wasted a lot of time for everyone and themselves.

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:21:14 AM »
Yeah I guess there are two sides to every story. Bloke may have a bunch of money invested and list high, knowing that he's happy to sit and wait for that one person, or keep it if that one person doesn't come along. Pretty frustrating when you're the guy who wants to offer the Monday to Friday price, but fair enough!
#66 - Fat Snail Racing.

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 10:55:43 AM »
Hi,
 its the time waster who advertise the bike in "immaculate" condition , there is a Honda CR125 advertised as immaculate recently restored thousands spent, at the moment on Ebay ,
the photos  show front and rear  worn out  tyres ,fork boots split, sprocket cover missing, shock bump stop rubber missing ,( and spoke covers covering "rusty spokes"? ) seeing it up close would no doubt show more .
that's a "Time Waster"

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
maybe that was the "before" piccie put there by mistake  ;), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »
It happens both ways ebay or gumtree attracts a lot of stupid buyers and sellers.

I always read ads carefully to avoid wasting mine and the sellers time a lot see an item and don't read it then contact you saying does it run etc etc when that's all detailed in the ad that puts you offside straight away because you know they haven't spent any time reading your description.

If you don't mess people around stuff goes your way I have recently got a couple of things xb ute and my ktm rc8r for a very fair price on both others were looking at but trying to bargain down an already good deal a lot of guys will take offence and not sell it to you even if you offer what they wanted then because they don't like you a lot of guys money probably isn't the main concern they want to sell it to some one they like
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline roost250

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:29:10 PM »
I agree, always thought that insults the customer.  So as a buyer i dont waste my time.  I dont think ive ever bought something from a person with that in their ad.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 01:14:08 PM »
slightly off topic but somewhat related!!  Am I imagining things or has the price ceiling for VMX bikes take an absolute jump recently - bikes starting at $4K and going up to $12.5K - and not just one or 2 either.  Of course another discussion altogether as to whether they are getting these prices but bloody hell batman!!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 01:33:10 PM »
I agree: it seems a little rude and pointless to write that kind of stuff.

Does anyone actually think: "I was going to deliberately waste that advertisers time, but they have requested that I don't, so I won't." :o

I can see it's legitimate to write "no offers", "no test rides (without deposit)" maybe. I believe anyone has the right to ask whatever price they want, and include conditions like that. As long as they are honest and upfront.

I agree with some, that lies in adverts are unacceptable, and are the real time wasters.

I once drove hours to buy a bike (modern) described as "You can't pick it from new".
I've never seen a new bike with rust on the chrome, corrosion on the cases and a roughly welded up exhaust where the baffles have been cut out. Disappointing waste of a day, some effort, and petrol.

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead, it's just hard on those around you.
It's kind of the same way when you're stupid!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 01:37:36 PM »
That is code for felling free to call them make an time to meet them at 1pm saturday or sunday and not turn up
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 01:52:58 PM »

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead, it's just hard on those around you.

Yep. It's even actually a thing.........

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their own ineptitude and evaluate their own ability accurately."

#66 - Fat Snail Racing.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 04:15:59 PM »

Yep. It's even actually a thing.........

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their own ineptitude and evaluate their own ability accurately."

Stupid people think other stupid people are smart, ie the people that voted George Bush into office.

I once drove 100km's to look at a Valiant coupe that was advertised as immaculate. Well it wasn't and I ended getting petrol money from the owner for "wasting my time". He got two options, and chose the easy one...

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 07:00:25 PM »
its a physiological boost to some numpty's ego if he thinks he has something that he doesn't want even numptiers coming to kick the tyres that have no hope of buying it and he can say... No time wasters...

turns me away most times too.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 07:20:02 PM »
There is an RM 125 F (1985) currently for sale that a lot of you would have seen. Owner would like $9K!
If he gets that price, I'll wax my scrotum without an alcohol on board.  It's not eligible for pre-85 and while it is a great example , it's probably going to reach $4-4.5K on a good day