Author Topic: Sealing electrical connectors  (Read 5881 times)

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Sealing electrical connectors
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:09:27 PM »
Not strictly vintage but there's a wealth on knowledge here I'd like to tap into

I'm looking for something to seal the electrical connectors on my bikes. Mainly on the Freeride as there are a lot more on it than the vintage bikes.

I'm after something that will seal out water and dirt but still be able to unplug them easily. Also mustn't interfere with resistances due to sensors etc. I don't want to use heat shrink or anything that permanent.

Some sort of grease maybe?
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Sealing electrical connectors
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:06:07 PM »
if you don't want heat shrink - and why would you be disconnecting them again???? - simply try electrical tape - is nigh on waterproof and easy to remove/replace.  Can't think of anything else?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 02:15:47 PM »
Is there anything like a grease or non conductive gel you could put in the plugs before pushing together.

HeavenVMX

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 02:27:08 PM »
Go to a larger industrial type electrical wholesale suppliers and buy a roll of high voltage (HV) self vulcanising tape and a roll of heat shrink tape.

The HV tape has a separation clear tape between layers make sure you remove it when installing. The HV tape stretches to about 4 times its original length and the stretching action activates it. Cover the connection with one layer of HV tape.

Then cover joint with one layer of heat shrink tape. This is a pain because until shrunk the tape does not stick. Hit with a heat gun (don't use naked flame to shrink heat shrink. A pet hate of mine is using naked flame on heat shrink as it generates carbon which is a good conductor 9 out of 10 times).

The only problem with this system is that it is a little bulky but is waterproof. You will have to cut it off. This system allows you to waterproof odd shaped connections. The tape is not fuel resistant the same as most heat shrinks. The big advantage is you don't have to spit the wire. If is perfect for previously soldered joints.

You can also buy the epoxy heat shrink which contains a heat activated resin within the heat shrink once heated it is 100% waterproof but you will have to cut the bit if wire out to remove it.
The tape is not cheap but lasts you a long time.

HeavenVMX

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 06:30:33 PM »
Brent , I always used Deutsch Plugs for my race bikes . You can get 1, 2 ,3,4,6 or 8 pin . They seal 100% https://www.google.com.au/search?q=deutsch+plug+kits&biw=1704&bih=947&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB6unCjrDKAhVCe6YKHTAQAfkQsAQIOw

Totally agree these plugs are the ultimate solution - none better

Used throughout the mining industry

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 07:46:51 PM »
Use dielectric grease on your terminals and pins on your plugs.Locktite sell a dielectric grease,it is very similiar to Vaseline.
As Heaven has suggested the self vulcanising tape is the go. Scotch 23 tape is what I use on all my connections.If it is stretched properly it will bond to itself,a rub between your fingers or a very small amount of heat will make a perfect seal.I do not use heat shrink over the top on my bike connections as long as it is away from fuel,the plug can still be pulled apart and retaped later.
It is a great product and once you start using it you will find many other uses for it.I also use it to seal throttle cables where they go into the carb and throttle as an example.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 10:42:55 AM »
silicon grease and self vulcanising tape, its what we used for the f connectors on satelite dishs, then used on the bikes, as mentioned there are many applications for it, but one problem it does not like oil, fuel, crc etc

HeavenVMX

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 04:05:06 PM »
The dielectric grease mentioned is actually applicable to coaxial cables which requires a predetermined resistance (leakage) to ground and is used in applications like TV or satellite  coax cables or older PC networks. It is not really ideal for normal electrical connections as its not a proper insulator and its resistance (leakage) can be frequency dependent much the same as a capacitor acts in an AC circuit.

It would however provide excellent waterproofing properties. Possibly a battery terminal grease would be even more ideal.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »
I have used a product called'liquid insulation tape' Just brush it on, it dries quickly to look like tape. Fully waterproof and not difficult to disconnect. Next time you want to use some more, the stuff has gone off in the tin.  Grr.
I bought some from 'Jaycar'
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »
Brent , I always used Deutsch Plugs for my race bikes . You can get 1, 2 ,3,4,6 or 8 pin . They seal 100% https://www.google.com.au/search?q=deutsch+plug+kits&biw=1704&bih=947&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB6unCjrDKAhVCe6YKHTAQAfkQsAQIOw

The best by far.

Buy a kit from "Hotwire Oz" on ebay get the hook and crimping tool with it.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 10:18:28 PM »
Thanks for the answers and advice guys. Thanks Walter for the offer of your crimping tool.

It appears that KTM use similar type of plug on all the motor, injection and ECI connectors. They are all sealed with "O" rings and every plug was clean inside. After competing in our club event known as Kamfari, a four hour mud enduro, I expected to find contaminated plugs giving the error codes I was getting

It appears the problem is a broken wire on the Lambda sensor

The older I get, the faster I was

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 02:53:59 PM »
The dielectric grease mentioned is actually applicable to coaxial cables which requires a predetermined resistance (leakage) to ground and is used in applications like TV or satellite  coax cables or older PC networks. It is not really ideal for normal electrical connections as its not a proper insulator and its resistance (leakage) can be frequency dependent much the same as a capacitor acts in an AC circuit.

It would however provide excellent waterproofing properties. Possibly a battery terminal grease would be even more ideal.
not the stuff Im useing, i like what your saying, use the correct product!  even lanolin (lanotec) is good for 70KV

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 03:24:53 PM »
Hey Lozza. Do you have a link to one of their auctions? I cant find that username on my ebays

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 03:53:14 PM »
Thanks for heads up Lozza.

I purchased a kit yesterday C/W crimping tool and retractor tool. I was informed by the supplier the products were sent out in yesterday afternoon's mail.
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 05:02:58 PM »
The DTM(mini) series are smaller than the normal Deutsch plugs and are better suited to use on bikes,I think they are still good for 8 amps.