Author Topic: Lemmy passes away  (Read 6940 times)

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
Lemmy passes away
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:29:57 PM »
I just learned that singer/bassist/founder of Motorhead Kenny (Ian Kilmister) has passed away from cancer, aged 70.

Obviously Motorhead aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm sure for some like me, the band and Lemmy were icons of the 80s (and beyond).

Tex

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: Lemmy passes away
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:00:48 PM »
That's so sad, I guess it was "Aces and Eights" for Lemmy

https://youtu.be/1iwC2QljLn4
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »
Sad news,I started listening to Lemmy in his early career with the band Hawkwind.They were innovators with their mega sound generators and electronic space rock.Still love to give their albums a good crank.
RIP Lemmy. 

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:39:55 PM »
thats the way i like baby
i dont want to live forever
r.i.p. lemmy

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 05:20:30 AM »
Sad news,I started listening to Lemmy in his early career with the band Hawkwind.They were innovators with their mega sound generators and electronic space rock.Still love to give their albums a good crank.
RIP Lemmy.

interested in checking Hawkwind out, what should i listen too to dip my toe in? was is essential listening.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 05:21:17 AM »
RIP Lemmy.

interested in checking Hawkwind out, what should i listen too to dip my toe in? was is essential listening.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 05:25:58 AM »
Hawkwind worked/sounded better with a chemical assist. ;) :o
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 09:49:17 AM »
Listen to 'Spirit of the Age' on youtube, one of their best. 'Hall of the Mountain Grill' too (album).  I was totally into them in the late seventies, thought they 'were really on to something'.  Was more that they and we were just 'on something'......

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 10:44:35 AM »
"Quark, Strangness, and Charm" is good Hawkwind Album.
I don't think Lemmy was with the band for that one.

Hawkwind were not everyone's cup of tea ::)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:27:35 PM by skypig »

Offline B074

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 12:38:24 PM »
Wow , another rock legend has passed , time is getting away , saw Motorhead on their 1984 tour at the family inn at Rydalmere & Caringbah Inn in sydney , still got the t shirt , NO HEAD NO BACKSTAGE PASS , gig got cancelled at Manly thou. Blew my ears apart , man they were loud , oh also saw them as a support for Metallica at the Horden on the Justice for all tour. Great Band. Good stuff.  ;D

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 03:25:04 PM »
My favourite album has always been. DoReMi FaSoLaTiDo.  The song Lord of light still makes me feel like I am flying.lol.  This band (first album 1970) is only for people who enjoy electro metal music,most of you would say it is noisy crap. ;D

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »
chris squire, bassist and founding member of Yes failed to clear the last hurdle during the year, they are dropping away....the bassist for Japan also died from bowel cancer the year before, there was a man who could make a bass talk....Mick Karn. RIP the lot of them

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 11:08:08 PM »
Rock Stars.

If they make it passed 27: the next hurdle seems to be 70.
Kieth Richards will likely live to be 210yo.

Offline Photomike666

• Novice
  • I've got serious thrill issues, dude!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 11:18:14 AM »
Motorhead, Remember me I’m Motorhead...

RIP Lemmy Kilmister

Motorheads music shaped my teenage years (along with Hawkwind). They were the second band I ever went to see, sometime in 89 I think. I attended Oakwood Park College, Maidstone, on the same campus where Lemmy went to Art College, and rumours have it that the first Motorhead skull was drawn on the walls in a local student house.

Later I was lucky enough to photograph Motorhead live in concert twice, and had the pleasure to see them at both Brixton and Hammersmith; legendary. In 99 I had the pleasure of meeting Lemmy in the Barfly @ The Falcon prior to Sevendusts premier UK gig. We chatted about many things from Motorhead to the Goonies and much in between. We talked so much so that I almost missed photographing the opening number of Sevendusts set. Lemmy was a top bloke with a great sense of humour, and it was an honour to meet him.

My favourite story came on the back of the single Bomber; on tour Motorhead took a moving light truss shaped like a bomber that lowered over the band during the song. At the time it was the world’s larges moving lighting truss. The tour finally reached Germany, and half way through the song in Berlin everything stopped and Lemmy yells, “I bet you haven’t seen one of these forkers for a few years”. Classic.

I am saddened by his passing; but he will live on in our vinyl collections, through his contributions to, and influences on heavy metal and in our hearts. Not many others have achieved so much, worked so hard or stayed so true to their selves. We could all learn a lot from Lemmy Kilmister.
V8 SS Ute, ZX10R (x2 road & track), '87 Honda CR250

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »
RIP Lemmy!