Author Topic: Brand name tools  (Read 10552 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
Brand name tools
« on: November 04, 2015, 02:12:51 PM »
G'day viewers just wondering how many of you spend $ on big name tools,or just get buy on the cheaper verity ? Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Brand name tools
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 03:26:20 PM »
Personally, I like brand name tools whenever I can. But for things used infrequently or not requiring precision, I sometimes prefer to have a cheap (invariably Chineses) version, than none at all.
Example: Chinese rotary hammer with SDS bits. Works fine for the occasions I need it. My Aldi sliding compound mitre saw works a treat. (Again, for hobby use.)

I like Stahlwillie (corrected - thanks) spanners, or at least Kingchrome. (Just can not get my mind around Snapon prices, despite their wide use in my industry.) Swedish, German, or Australian shifting spanners have a different feel to Chinese equivelents.

I'd be suspicious of the accuracy of say, a no name micrometer.
Soft or poorly formed tips on screwdrivers make me frown.

I recently ordered in a "decent, not the cheapest" cross slide drill vise. It was rubbish. Returned. Payed a LOT more and bought a Dawn vice base. (Swivel and cross slide). I get a little "chubby" thinking about it...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:28:44 PM by skypig »

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »
Yep, I am a fan of Stahlwille spanners and sockets, the midrange -Gedore, Sidchrome etc are OK, but just dont feel the same... 
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 08:20:40 PM »
Hi, bought Stahlwille open enders,  ring openenders, and ring spanners  51 years ago yes 51,when I started my apprenticeship ,  worth the expense , also a Britool (British Tools Co)socket set, in AF and Whitworth, metric hadn't been invented back then,my 1/2 inch socket finally wore out last year, and had to replace it .I had a special short Sidchrome 17/19 mm ring spanner the broke (the ring) but the "Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee" was not .buy the best handtools you can afford.
cheers

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »
I have owned the same 400 pce sidcrome tool chest for 30 odd years and it is still 80% original.
I did buy some some CAT branded ring ratchet a few years ago that I love and have a few snap-on spanners in the sizes I use all the time for tools that I lost from my original chest. Cordless power tools is what I like lately.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Bullet

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »
Things have changed a lot over the last five years let alone twenty years. I have been a tool rep for the last ten or so of them. Do you homework on what you buy. Things have changed since the good old days.

Cheers Mick

Offline Josha

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 10:05:19 PM »
I've got a new SP Tool kit for work and I'm pretty impressed with it. No sizes skipped on spanners and sockets which is handy.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:38:15 PM by Josha »
1975 Honda MT 250
2015 Honda CRF250R

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »
Things have changed a lot over the last five years let alone twenty years. I have been a tool rep for the last ten or so of them. Do you homework on what you buy. Things have changed since the good old days.

Cheers Mick

So true, I bought a heap of crap from Super cheap tool sale at the weekend just to leave in a soft bag behind the seat of the leisure trail riders ute, disgusted with the ordinariness of it. So glad this thread started, taking it all back tomorrow >:( will putt another three hundred toward it and get some decent shit instead.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:54:50 PM »
Well I'm happy I found an old amo box with spanners  & sockets with VBW on them. I think my father gave them to me. I was googling up the stahlwillie tools & found out that they own the brand I found in the shed. So I'm happy I have quality tools I don't even know about lol jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 11:52:16 PM »
Well I'm happy I found an old amo box with spanners  & sockets with VBW on them. I think my father gave them to me. I was googling up the stahlwillie tools & found out that they own the brand I found in the shed. So I'm happy I have quality tools I don't even know about lol jimson

I don't think "cheap" tools existed when our fathers were buying tools for us.
Everything was made properly, or not at all.
People were prepared to pay what things cost, and in return expected the tool to do the job, and last.

I remember the "no questions asked, lifetime guarantee" on Sidchrome tools. I still use the 3/8 drive metric set I got as a first year apprentice. (supplied by work, and paid off by me each week with my "tool allowance")

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 03:54:24 PM »
I've got a mate who bought a bunnings socket set as he couldnt see the value in a proper set.

We used one socket to try and press out the pin in the swingarm that holds the rear shock.

We made a washer.

he now has the smallest 3/8 Kinchrome set they make. I suspect he thinks this will be the last bike he ever works on.

At least I might get a go at it when he loses interest.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 10:53:13 PM »

Cheers Mick

This.
I've got some brand name stuff that is lacklustre, and cheap garbage that it quite good.
I've also bought spanner sets where one spanner has broken in the first use, another never fitted properly, and one has been the magic spanner that will undo anything and never rounds a bolt...

So my collection of tools is haphazard - it's what's been good to use AND has survived.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 02:50:20 PM »
Teng Tools are surprisingly good.  3/8" socket set is 15 years old now and still going great.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
i have teng torque wrenches, found them good...
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 10:21:48 PM »
Got a mixture of sidchrome ,snap-on and Armstrong I smuggled back in from a u.s trip and love the Armstrong the best