Author Topic: You had one job...  (Read 16682 times)

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
You had one job...
« on: September 13, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »

Things I've seen (not done)  ;D

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: You had one job...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 03:23:24 PM »
My 84 KX125 motor ran really badly, and was totally insensitive to jetting and timing changes - turns out that some champion had put the piston in backwards.

More recently, I bought home an '01 KX125 with the piston in backwards - this is less of a crime considering it's a case reed motor with a full length skirt on both sides, but the really impressive bit was the head gasket made of blue silicone...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 500Fool

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 04:07:20 PM »
Nice bit of welding on that sprocket, yoo can tell he was an expurt as all small welds, didn't get it too hot thereby destroying the seal.  ;D

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 04:22:26 PM »
It's true... dyslexia and tank stickers don't mix
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 06:31:45 PM »
I recently bought a 89 350 ktm with an enormous amount of spoog around the front of the motor.Took the pipe off and yes two big holes looking at me.Piston in back to front.The PO is probably still trying to figure out why it ran like a dog.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 09:56:47 PM »
i brought a dt400h motor off the local wrecker and its piston was arse about too.but the reason it stopped and became wrecker stock was the chain came off and stuffed the cases so much that it had no clutch arm.the things people do and some people just shouldnt own tools

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 01:23:32 PM »

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 12:55:16 AM »
That sump job welding gives cocky sh!t welding a place in acceptable welding skills.
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »
Yep, some people shouldn't have access to tools.....or air for that matter!

The YZ with the backward forks reminds me of an old acquaintance I use to ride with. There was no convincing the fool that the reason the forks on his RM370 were called leading axle forks was because the axle is in front of the fork....not the other way around  ::) He reckoned the bike turned better with the forks backwards!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 07:35:39 PM »
The yz does look a bit diffrent with the forks turned around , i have seen a usa flat track bike set up the same way .
It would turn better with the trail and rake , foot print changed but still looks odd .

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 08:05:48 PM »
Forks on backwards reminds me of the old Scott Bishop quote: "it looked like it had a head-on with itself".
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 10:58:25 AM »
The yz does look a bit diffrent with the forks turned around , i have seen a usa flat track bike set up the same way .
It would turn better with the trail and rake , foot print changed but still looks odd .

I intentionally did this on a XT500 once as an experiment to see if it would turn better. They were known for too much rake, It was an early model with later model leading axle fork so the rake was even worse. It did look weird though.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 12:25:17 PM »

Trail would have increased but the rake wouldn't. The increase in trail would have made the steering a lot heavier and more straight line stable but I doubt it would have turned better.

Offline TT350

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 08:36:39 PM »
ha!  Great pics, great thread :)

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 06:15:48 PM »

Apparently this blokes job was to remove this nut from a tube socket while it was still on the rattle gun...