Author Topic: mick d doug is looking for info on these frames ?  (Read 10707 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
mick d doug is looking for info on these frames ?
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:24:28 AM »
Okay this is the selbach frame that I'm looking for info on. The only info I have is it was made in Germany and that about ten were made. If you can help me with photos or the history..... please do.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: mick d doug is looking for info on these frames ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:25:01 PM »
Hi Paul, I don't see it as being a Maico frame either. Definitely NOT.

But who knows it may handle better than the first Maico dual cradle frame(Maico X3 frame).

It has some similar design principles in frame componentry that Maico pursued, but she be no production Maico frame that I have ever seen in pictures or otherwise, I would be surprised if any of our members in Germany thinks otherwise too.

It takes alot of skill to produce a frame though, and the builder of that frame definitely had some skills, for sure.
But as we all know at the end of the day it boils down to design Geometrics.

The engine in those pics is a 250cc, first produced in 1963 as a side-port so it would fit into and clear the single down tube on the X2 frame.
Those same engine patterns were also used to develop the 360cc factory race engine in 1963.
I have German literature and magazines that tell the story of the first dual cradle frames on the race track in 1963
and then the new model advertised constantly from February 1964 as commercially available to the General public as the new X3 MC360.

The reason why the first Maico dual cradle frame was so wide in the down tubes was so it could accommodate that wide side port exhaust on those Alloy oval-barrel engines.

The first 360 alloy Maico oval barrel engine overpowered the single down tube X2 frame, hence the progression to a dual cradle frame,
first designed and built by a German race rider and friends (whose names I forget), not Maico.

Maybe what Doug has is that prototype frame, but I doubt it. And doubt that some how it would have made it to the states, it was secret squirrel German stuff.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:43:54 PM by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 09:45:28 PM »
Its a Selbach aftermarket frame. Doug has been commissioned to restore it for a client and would like to know more about them.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 11:07:27 PM »
Its a Selbach aftermarket frame. Doug has been commissioned to restore it for a client and would like to know more about them.

Did you know that Paul?

Do you know anything else Firko?
Race history? if so, years of competition appearances?

Did this frame maker have any other history? any success?
I couldn't get a hit with a Google search.

Obviously there would be more than one if they had of been any good?

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 09:01:08 AM »
no one ever reads properly do they ;D

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 09:27:23 AM »
looks home made to me ;D

All Maico frames look home made ;D :D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
I saw the same post that Paul did Mick but Doug sent it to my facebook page as well telling me about being commissioned to restore it. I know nothing more but reckon Marcus would.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 08:10:24 PM »
no one ever reads properly do they ;D

Guilty as charged ;D ;D ::)
I honestly don't know how I missed the words in the opening post ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
a little embarrassed,,,,  ::) ::)
Mind you I'm injured at the moment and am on some of the heaviest medication that I have ever known for the past week :o :o :o
can wait to be off it, and back to normal

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:23:40 PM by Mick D »

Offline flyingdg

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 08:48:58 PM »
Micky.....this bike was purchased off of eBay out of Germany and all I can find out is selbach made bicycles...but I'm not sure it is the same  company. I would love to find a photo of one to see what tank was used and how the seat looked.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 08:59:46 PM »
Micky.....this bike was purchased off of eBay out of Germany and all I can find out is selbach made bicycles...but I'm not sure it is the same  company. I would love to find a photo of one to see what tank was used and how the seat looked.

Hi Doug, as Firko was saying Maico-Mac(Marcus) would probably be the most likely souce of any info that may be had.
I seem to remember in one of his posts that he did say something about the events leading up to the conception of the first Maico twin cradle frame. And how one of the racers at the time made them for the 360 alloy oval barrel first before Maico actually did.

I have a large collection of German books and Magazines from the 63/64 era,,,,but I cannot read the language ::)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »
I cant find anything about Selbach motorcycle frames on the web.

Been going through these German Mags
This one is from February 1964 and what I call the the real McCoy
I have the 10th made one of these in the 360 version

I know that doesn't help you.
I did read somewhere that the guys Racing the oval barell 360 in 63/64/65 were not happy with the Maico frame and got a crew together and made their own.
Send Maico-Mac a PM, He's the man.

Offline flyingdg

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 03:03:22 AM »
Thanks for your help on this one Micky! But I think this one is going to be a hard one to find a photo of or the history....so the search is still on. Please if someone finds something please get ahold of me. Thanks again DG 

Offline Maico-Mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 07:44:40 AM »
Hello,
i know this frame from Germany. The Seller is the owner of the Metisse-Maico with the rounded squarebarrel cylinder  ;)

Selbach is correct. It's an selfmade  frame, as WaBeHa.
I have seen a picture of it in an old MOTORRAD magazine, but sadly on this picture the tank is taken apart also, for better working on the engine...  I'll have to search for it ....

BUT maybe a friend of mine has an other picture with tank, i'm not sure.
I'll ask for it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 04:46:56 PM by Maico-Mac »

Offline Maico-Mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 06:05:59 PM »
Here are the infos i have in the moment about the SELBACH.

The Text is:
" Much of the special-selfmade motocross-machines make a good impression nowadays.
The building and finish is much better and cleaner than in former years, here for example the frame of the Selbach-Special."

The picture was shot in Villingen, on the 2nd run for the german MX championship, 1964  !