Author Topic: NSW Storms  (Read 13713 times)

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
NSW Storms
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:59:12 PM »
Watching the telly up here I'm hoping that anyone in the NSW area affected by these storms is ok
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Storms
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 02:27:37 PM »
Wow
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 05:33:56 PM »
big branch down in driveway, water ingress to my garage thanks to next doors stormwater. no one hurt, many similar stories from my friends.
All good
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline TTezza

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:36:12 PM »
Main North rail line near Patterson

Offline oz555ktm

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 07:56:11 PM »
You Blokes have had so much rain ...

I heard that yesterday the Police in Sydney had  caught a Old bloke with a Big Grey beard and a  Big wooden Boat .
that was taking the animals out of the zoo  in Sydney in pairs of 2  and loading them into his Ark

The Picture of the main line is unbelievable

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:46:31 PM by oz555ktm »
And Please forgive me as I cant Spell for Shit ...
And I have very Bad Gramer ...too I been told ......

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 08:22:52 PM »
I hope all you lot up there are safe and dry.......actually, I don't care about any of you as long as the bikes are safe and dry  ::)

Looking at those pics of the rail line, I don't think anyone is going to be catching a train north or south any time soon.

My thoughts are with you all.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 09:22:47 PM »

Thanks for the kind thoughts and humor, enjoying the giggle :) and thanks for the texts and pm's been too busy to reply, but thanks.
Big mess, another huge clean up. Don't get me wrong so glad not to be in the count of four that the Reeper took :-[
Condolences to their friends and families.

Never for me have I heard wind ROAR like it before. So many trees down on wires and houses.
Got to zig-zag all over town to get to the dump past all the road closures.
Over 4000 power lines down from trees etc. Pretty trippy stats. Still 85,000 homes without power in the Hunter and another 80,000 still out of power on the Central Coast.

My ute was parked in the street. The wind tore the Hard Top and fixing hardware clean off the back, which then went on a rampage, sorry Neighbors :o ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :( Didn't want it anymore anyhow ::) ::)
The hand brake and park slot didn't hold the ute against the wind :( ::) ::) ::)
The wind pushed the whole thing six foot along the road into the back of my Kayak, which softened the blow ::)

Blew a lot of roller doors in and roofs off, mainly tiled ones.
The stench of wet carpet surely does suk, but it comes in handy for holding down all the dump loads.

Got to look on the upside ::) Silver lining,,,the local council is throwing the tip gates open for three weeks come Saturday.
NO CHARGE for three weeks, ,,which is a big deal and major opportunity,,,
Will save a huge amount in tip fees. Particularly with all the weight of the wet carpet.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:23:19 PM by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 10:03:06 PM »
Far Out :-\

Main North rail line near Patterson

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »
Hey Mick was in the Sleepy Hill motel at Raymond Terrace on the first night of the storms. The wind noise was just like the Cyclones id been through in Nth Qld. Left at 7.00am hoping the trip to Sydney would be ok. Lots of trees down dragging down the power lines. Was amazed on freeway to Sydney, SES had been through and chopped a lot of tree branches n the freeway, but every so Ks a fallen tree canopy was across the left lane. I chuffed along at 60-80kph couldn't believe how many cars and trucks where still doing the 110 in the heavy wind and rain. Saw a couple of accidents along the way but was amazed there wasn't more as they wouldn't let you into the right lane when left blocked. Heaps of idiots. Hope things are starting to sort out for yourself and family.
Rosco 86

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 10:42:31 PM »
Thanks Rossco, I bet you didn't do much sleeping in the Sleepy hill motel that night.
Yes, I am just amazed at the amount of downed trees too.
Yes we are all fine and healthy. None of us injured and a lot better of then some, thanks.
A lot to clean up, but it could of and nearly was a lot worse.
I am so great full that the heavy fiberglass lid of my ute did't hurt anyone.
Huge metal flashings that came off an industrial building across the road could of killed some one if they had speared threw a window or such. The eye hovered around over us, the wind at times came from every point of the compass.
We are counting our blessings for sure, so lucky, not unlucky.

I feel your pain about some of the fools on the road, I have to get one of those camera event recorders.
I saw a fool driving one of those LPG tri-axle semis(bombs) over a hundred K/kr on the M1, F3, one handed whilst texting with the other >:(
What drew my attention, was the fact that he was all over the joint.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:02:27 PM by Mick D »

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 08:33:35 AM »
Far out Mick. That must of been some scary night with winds strong enough to blow the lid off your ute and move it 6 feet. And taking it all in your stride, kudos to you and your family.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »
Good to hear every one is safe.
We lost a few large gumtrees and relocated a couple of tons of driveway.nothing to worry about.My son(lives next to the Paterson river) was not so lucky all his bikes and collections of bike stuff have all been underwater.
Big day today getting pumps, cars ,tractors, mowers etc going,any thing the tide will let us get to.
Tomorrow its into the bike shed to start washing,draining and clearing the snakes out of all the engines lol.
 It could have been worse?at least it is all still there and salvageable, not washed away and gone forever like a lot of other peoples stuff.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:07:00 PM by Moto »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 09:19:53 PM »
Sad to hear so many losses, but like you say mate,
"Good to hear every one is safe."
Good to know your son and his young family  were all safe up on the second floor and not swept away :)
And a bloke with your nouse will certainly help him save some stuff tomorrow. Good luck.

I would come and help, but we have trees down and tiles off at my daughters joint.
You need to get in touch with Zane, he just said is is keen to help you out but can't get in touch with you or Joel.

Zane probably wouldn't tell you, but himself and a young bloke he had never met before went through thigh height flood waters and got an 80 year old lady out before her house flooded.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:40:45 PM by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 10:05:53 PM »
Far out Mick. That must of been some scary night with winds strong enough to blow the lid off your ute and move it 6 feet. And taking it all in your stride, kudos to you and your family.

Hi Mark, it was hell scary alright, hell scary. I live very close to the harbor.
Its been reported a cargo freighter birthed a kilometer away recorded gusts of 165 k/hr,,,5 kays of a class 3
I didn't sleep for two nights, with my phone I refreshed our local Nobby's observation point every 10mins,
Nobby's recordings failed when it reached 138.5 and was then of line for more than 5 hours.

I understand why our northern brothers that cop this stuff more regularly have stronger building codes.
We figure our little side street was like a south facing wind funnel, and figure when the ute lid came off, it acted like a sail for a moment, driving the ute forward.
But the Subaru Forester parked behind me also moved forward a couple of feet and skewed sideways a little as well.

For interest sake I was going to try and get into the industrial building today and get a pic of the trashed ute lid, but it some how seems totally insignificant now after reading the woes of others :(

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:16:58 PM by Mick D »

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 10:21:59 PM »
   Mick the most frightning thing about that was that the old lady was my ex mother in law, did it because I was asked by my daughter.
   There are still some decent young people around, that bloke stopped when he saw me waiding through the water and just came in and helped get the old duck out.  Never seen him before and might not ever see him again he just thought it was the right thing to do.
                       Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.