Author Topic: Euro bikes - Husky  (Read 16332 times)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Euro bikes - Husky
« on: April 21, 2015, 07:54:53 PM »
ok i been reading a bit on here about Huskies. i have never ridden a Husky and starting to wonder what the attraction is?
i Know Big K is converted. tell me what the appeal is.

Yes i am serious.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Euro bikes - Husky
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:28:41 PM »
You need to branch out Hoony.. Euro bikes were very good in the 70's and early 80's, they did nearly everything better than the Jap bikes.
That's why I own 7 of them and I'd never ridden one til the 90's!

Offline Digga

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:36:59 PM »
Sounds like you need to arrange a "ride & try" day with Mick, he's always accomodating any inerest in the Swedish Steel  ;)
1977 Yamaha YZ250D, 1977 Yamaha YZ400D, 1980 Yamaha YZ125G

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 08:47:26 PM »
must admit to a sheltered bike life. never rode a maico till 4 years ago. never ridden a solo KTM Mxer ( did pilot a KTM 540 outfit for a season) never ridden  any other euro's either.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 09:59:47 PM »
Swedish Huskies are the dirtbike equivalent of a 240 Volvo: slightly quirky, but f$&king brilliant once you get your head around them.

Spoken as someone who's owned one Swedish Husky...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

albrid-3

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:10:53 PM »
In the 60`s Husqvarna where a dominant force in early motocross as where twinport cz  against the 4 strokes, my brother wanted to buy one it was a 67 model Husqvarna 250, he never got one, but in 1974 I set out with the help of my brother Dennis I bought and brand Husqvarna Mag 250 off Athol Patterson motorcycles, I just had to have one, maybe because my brother wanted one back in 1967. They look like a  true race bike, simple lines, and simple to work on, light to ride, easy to maintain.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:13:20 PM by Dave #14 »

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 10:20:56 PM »
ok i been reading a bit on here about Huskies. i have never ridden a Husky and starting to wonder what the attraction is?

Yes i am serious.

There is no appeal Hoony don`t be an idiot, are you loosing your mind ?
                                                                                                             and as for Big K don`t let him lead you into the danger zone, he has a bent valve but won`t admit it.  I see him on the track every now and then but mostly with a plug spanner in his hand and a box of plugs nearby just to get his best one going. Now lets discuss the YAMAHA that you really want.   ;)

P.S. just before all you Husky lovers start to throw all of your broken parts at me i`m only taking the piss at Hoony.  ok.
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 10:23:48 PM »
they are a bit agricultural but they just do what you need when you need it most. they are designed to win races. no frills, something's arnt so good but the total package works well. the inbuilt "stay upright" gyroscope is a welcome std feature of all huskies. don't expect to hop on and go these are great, you need a good hour or more to be "swedished" as they do things differently. took me a half of an enduro to twigg how it all worked after jap biking for years but I always enjoyed pushing those IT riders until they went over the bars...

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 03:03:40 AM »

Yes i am serious.

There is no appeal Hoony don`t be an idiot, are you loosing your mind ?
                                                                                                             and as for Big K don`t let him lead you into the danger zone, he has a bent valve but won`t admit it.  I see him on the track every now and then but mostly with a plug spanner in his hand and a box of plugs nearby just to get his best one going. Now lets discuss the YAMAHA that you really want.   ;)

P.S. just before all you Husky lovers start to throw all of your broken parts at me i`m only taking the piss at Hoony.  ok.

Bloody Piano Man. nice  :)
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline oldmxracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 05:56:38 AM »
they are a bit agricultural but they just do what you need when you need it most. they are designed to win races. no frills, something's arnt so good but the total package works well. the inbuilt "stay upright" gyroscope is a welcome std feature of all huskies. don't expect to hop on and go these are great, you need a good hour or more to be "swedished" as they do things differently.

This is as good of an explanation I've ever heard about the "traits".

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 07:27:08 AM »
All the above plus they just look right. Light & efficient with no added shit to get in the way. Try taking a hacksaw to a Husky frame & you'll instantly understand the meaning of "Swedish steel", plus they take a lot less time to wash as there less of them to wash. Yes there's a quirk or two (very minor) but there are plenty who can tell you how to deal with those. I've had them all & by far my favorite is the 390 series from '77-'80. Hell fast but super forgiving & so easy to ride. Lots say Huskies don't turn which completely astounds me as all mine turn on a dime yet are super stable, maybe they just fit me.
Just get one Hoony, you too Magnusson!
K

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 07:31:28 AM »
Try an auto ! like nothing else you've ever tried and that's in a good way..

been riding my 510 4 stroke (84) for about 5 years now.. cant seem to get tired of it! as has happened with some other bikes ive had..

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 08:49:26 AM »
Scab a ride on a 84/85/86 WR400 and see what you think of the motor and gearbox.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 09:00:50 AM »
I love the Husky big bores.
The 250's and 125's are really down on power compared to the most of the rest IMO.
They turn different but you can adapt quickly.I find them easy to work on and enjoy owning them. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline HL500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 11:00:16 AM »
I love riding my 82 WR430 because it has a nice shiny restored aluminum tank which forces me to slow down in case I dent it.  Doesn't matter so much on the Yamaha or Honda as they have plastic tanks!!