Author Topic: Wtd: SL70 or XL70 or parts  (Read 6084 times)

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
Wtd: SL70 or XL70 or parts
« on: July 18, 2008, 07:44:39 PM »
Hi all. I'm new to this forum - been around Honda and Suzuki dirt bikes since 1971 (as a mechanic and rider) and interested in these bikes that are now 'classics'...

I'm looking to build an SL 70 or XL70 for my grandson, after building one for my son in 1981... which started him off in dirt bikes at age 6....

I'm very aware that they are now very rare, but I'm quite good at repairing the 'irrepairable', so will take on even very badly damaged bits.

Cheers,
Joe
(joe dot hovel at bigpond dot com)
Joe near Bendigo
SL175, SL70, XL250S, CT110 collecting bits....

Quicksilver

Re: Wtd: SL70 or XL70 or parts
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 07:53:05 PM »
You need to talk to "Tim754". His the man on those little Honda's.  ;)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 10:29:06 PM »
Hi jhovel ,what parts are you after? But first a warning ,SL70s are now very sort after good examples will bring $4000+ !!! . (yep for a minicycle that they sold squillions of back then!!!) Many body parts and details like the plastic sidecovers , exhaust pipe , the mud guards, a decent tank or seat base are selling for outrageous amounts and of course are very hard hard to find now. Still nice choice for a resto,  ;)  Cheers Tim754 PS what State you in?   NO not are you pissed or not :D
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 03:58:58 PM »
Well, as a result of this forum, I now have a frame, rear guard, coil and foot pegs. That's a good start.  :)
I also have a rear swing arm of an XL100. Can someone tell me the correct length (and other dimensions for the SL70 rswing arm, so I can modify what I have to standard dimesions, please?
Tim, I'm after any other bits that are not liste above ;D - I can't spend squillons but find most of my fun in repairing and rebuilding things that others have given up on. So if anyone has bits that are "beyond salvage", I'm your customer!  ;)
Happy to document my progress here - if people are interested?
Cheers,
Joe

PS: I've updated my profile - I'm near Bendigo, Victoria
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 05:58:17 PM by jhovel »
Joe near Bendigo

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 05:20:02 PM »
 I am in Elmore  :D :D :D  PM me and we will have a Chat ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 05:21:56 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 10:17:21 PM »
Thank you Quicksilver, I had alraedy noticed that one and made him an offer - which he refused.... I think it is a little overpriced for what's there....
Keep looking for me everybody! :)
Tim has already added to my collection to bits and I have already made a replica of a sidestand he let me borrow.... Slowly getting there, but I expect the collection phase will take a year or two.... (and I'm still in the middle of a couple of other restorations that have to be finished before I embark on this one in ernest.)
Joe
Joe near Bendigo

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 11:05:17 PM »
Yep, watching that one too..  :-)
I saved a favourite search and get notified every day of new bits on line.
I lurve the Internet! ::)
Joe near Bendigo

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 09:08:01 AM »
Gees Joe dont go bidding against a "teed754" with a phone call first :D . We can save each other some pocket pain ;)  Cheers Tim754
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 05:49:21 PM »
I'll e-mail you tonight when I get home. Joe
Joe near Bendigo

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 11:14:55 PM »
Just a quick update:
It's now over a year since I started collecting and seem to have ferretted out and  acquired every bit and piece and every nut and bolt required to build a whole SL70!
Actual progress so far: frame bead blasted and repaired, then powdercoated in original colour (as close as can be),
fork stanchions newly hard-chromed, new fork seals fitted and reassembled, tank derusted, dents removed and etch primed, seat base (thanks Tim!) repaired, zinc plated and painted, wheels disassembled, hubs polished new rims and spokes fitted. That's about it for now.
I'd say another year and it will look like a real resto!
Let me knwo if anyone is interested in photos of the work in progress here...
Joe near Bendigo

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 01:48:02 AM »
bring on the pics :)

TwoTees

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 06:08:16 AM »
Hey guys sorry to hijack this thread but I am looking at buying an xl70 and wanted to get some reassurance on the price that this guy is asking. It's been a couple of years since I have seen the little monster but my memory is as follows...

1974 or 1975 ? XL70 in nice original condition. has key and speedo but no indicators. Missing side covers. Tank is straight and clean but paint a bit faded. Looks like original front tyre. No major rust any where. He thinks its worth about $1000 and says make an offer. (I know this guy and I don,t think he'll budge much)
What do you experienced Honda mini boys reckon?
Cheers, Chris

monaro308

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 03:38:48 PM »
Pics would be great.....it was my first bike back in 78 which i bought for $50 doing the paper round.
It was also my first engine rebuild as a 13y/old as the bike wasn't complete and had a burnt out valve worn piston,no ign/electrics,but i saved and saved and had a ball riding that bike.
31 years later.....i still have whats left of it at my mums place and i cannot part with any of the remaining parts.
Slowly i move bits from the back shed into the garage.......and my poor old mum just shakes her head knowing something is ticking over in my brain.
Maybe oneday......

I wanna see pics!!!!