Author Topic: Is anyone else this silly  (Read 22332 times)

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone else this silly
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2014, 09:57:05 PM »
You can protest all you like Suzy59 but I reckon it was deliberate.
That's gold.
As for doing dumb things, I've done too many to mention.
I will elaborate on one.
Way back when road bikes had both front & rear number plates I was at my fathers bike shop on school holidays, approx 74 which would make me 14.
Mad keen to help, I was given the task of fitting a front number plate bracket to a brand spanking T250 Suzuki, yep, drilled straight through the front guard and into the tyre.
I'm sure I aint the only one?

So, I'm not the only one to have done that Steve. I had a special piece of timber to put between the guard and the tyre after that.

I worked at Kevin Cass Yamaha as a young lad after school and had a kid come in one afternoon who bought a new thottle cable for his CT3 Yamaha. He came into the workshop and asked the price to install it. I think it was about $10 to do the job but he thought that was too expensive and decided to do it himself in the carpark. After a bit of time had gone by he finished the job and tried to start the bike. We could hear kick, kick, kick from in the workshop, with that distinctive full throttle sound. The mechanic and I walked out to the carpark just in time to see him pushing it down the back lane and bump starting it. You've probably guessed by now that the slide was in back to front, so as soon as it fired it took off down the lane with him flapping behind and promtly ran into the back brick wall of an adjacent motel. Nothing hurt but his pride however his front wheel was tucked up underneath the frame due to a severley bent set of forks. About $100 later he was on his way....

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »
me and a mate got bike and gear together on the saturday for a race on sunday only to be phoned that night with "what happen to you today" it was a saturday race. mate lost 2nd place in club champs but won the Leo Wanker Award that year.
PS matcho mick don`t tell anyone of your stuff up`s at a PCRA meet.
i know i'm probably going to regret this,which one are you referring to Micks, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 10:29:16 PM »
You guys are starting to make me feel normal.

Traveled 2 hours to an event to discover I had failed to refit the kick start lever.

Riding in a dirt track event and my race was coming up, I quickly put my helmet on but couldn’t find my gloves, I ran out of time to keep looking so I did my race without them.
When I finished I took my helmet off to discover the gloves were still stashed inside the helmet.
I had to concede that if I couldn’t notice they were there that it was time to buy a new helmet.

While camping I tried to brush my teeth in poor light.
Used a tube of shaving cream instead of toothpaste, was still trying to spit the taste out several beers later.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 10:46:33 PM »
The old carby slide trick???, Would have won" Best side Saddle Wheelie by a 15 year old on a TS185 " in shorts and thongs of course...   only did that once!!!!  Had to nock a bloke back at scrutineering once, Cr480 with no foot pegs??
Couple of CR`s

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »
customer turned up with bike in the back of his ute,wouldn't go, even tried clutching it down his drive way!, said no luck,went out to help off the ute,theres no drive chain onit :o,
guy brings a  barrell in ,been rebored ,new piston fitted,(at another shop),they had bored a chrome bore os  :o
guy brings a YZ 2fiddy in,won't rev,bit flat (same shop rebuilt the motor),hmmm down on comp,pops head off,fugg,oops shorter rod kit fitted  :o
 :P

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2014, 11:15:34 PM »
Fresh out of my apprenticeship, l was servicing a Cressida (early 80's) on a 4 post hoist. It was normal in the day when lowering a hydraulic hoist to have something to hold the spring loaded lever so the hoist would go down without having to hold that pesky lever down.

So while the hoist is lowering, I've walked around the front of the car and while the hoist comes down the bonnet goes up saving time......

The front cross bar of the hoist came down on my left foot and caught me by my toes. This was some what painful and unfortunately l was alone in a small workshop, trapped by my foot and unable to even get my foot out of my boot let alone get to the lever to raise the hoist.

Yelling for all l was worth, maybe 5 minutes but it felt much longer a customer wandered in, the poor bloke had no idea l was stuck and yelling at him, trying to explain how to raise the hoist!

My big toe must have been a 5mm thin after l got my foot free and convinced me it might not be a good idea to bypass safety equipment. l was very lucky it only got my toes and not further up the foot.

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 07:35:45 AM »
the old forgotten rag trick eh?
Id spent quite a while in snatched bits of time rebuilding a b50 motor with all the fruit - 3 speed, splined clutch, degreed in the cam, new guides ,valves , piston , big end-the lot.

So finally the time came to fire her up..
A few kicks late at night nothing, the next morning a pop or two, but no life, so how about a push?, yes it goes! for about 5 secs.
Then try kicking again - no compression.. I start sweating bullets, thinking Ive messed up the cam timing - dreading what ill find when taking the head off..
Yes... a (singed) piece of paper towel pushed in the inlet port on the bench had not come out once the motor  was bolted back in the frame and jammed the inlet port open. Huge sigh of relief- lots of "dickhead" muttering ...don't push anything right in there! ever!! it took all night for fuel vapour to soak through the towel so that's how I got the pop after several hours.
Then when compressing the inlet valve to remove the offending item, PING PING,( the sound of the collets and springs hitting the far wall of the shed..) but that's another SILLY story!
thank god I only work on my own bikes!!

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 08:13:53 AM »
I work for a Hire place at the moment and one of our 250cfm compressors lost oil pressure.
Meck pulled the sump off and there was a rag wrapped around the oil pickup.
We are all wondering how that got there as that comp has been running for 10 years with no problems.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 08:20:23 AM »
Old mate Greg dinking his mate Mark on his SL70 with no rear guard. You guessed it, Mark slides back onto rotating knobby with resultant carnage to his rear end! J

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 08:55:36 AM »
Around at friend Glenn's place when we first got our cars. Glenn changing oil and manages to dump the lot on dad Cliffs new concrete driveway. Cliff so angry and flustered he says to Glenn " you must have pulled yourself twice" instead of " you would have to have two dicks to be that stupid". Still makes us all laugh nearly forty years later. J

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 09:27:59 AM »
What is it with rags and inlets? I did a full top end rebuild on a NX650 Honda, new cam, new followers, new cam bearings, piston, rings, carby rebuild etc. Everything was checked and checked again. Sweet, all good to go. The bike had no kick starter so had to rely on the battery. First press of the start button it fired into life for about 5 seconds. Hmm, WTF? Kept on pressing the magic button until the battery was drained. Battery out and put on charge. Seat off, tank and front fairing off so I could check valve clearances again. All good there. Checked for kinked fuel/vacuum hoses. Nope. Maybe a new spark plug will help. Bike back together and battery charged. Hit the start button and got a few seconds of life before it died again. Another flat battery and a beer....HAD to have a beer as at this point I was lost and hot under the collar. Pulled the seat, fairing and tank off again to check the carby. Bugger of a job to get out on the NX but I bit the bullet. About an hour later I'm pulling the carb out and what did I see? yep a bloody rag on the Airfilter side! I could of just removed the airfilter and found the culprit....back together goes the bike, battery in and what do you know, first press of the magic button and there was life. A quick ride and then time for the beer fridge...
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
minor versions of the Darwin awards eh - what a laugh this thread is
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 10:25:32 AM »
The old carby slide trick???, Would have won" Best side Saddle Wheelie by a 15 year old on a TS185 " in shorts and thongs of course...   only did that once!!!!  Had to nock a bloke back at scrutineering once, Cr480 with no foot pegs??
yep been there ??? on my brand new YZ80B kick kick kick hmm I know Ill push start it down the drive way  :o next thing it was a side saddle mono across the road (lucky no cars or pedestians at the time)  straight into the neighbour across the roads roller door  :-[ the only thing that stopped me going all the way threw was his immaculate Holden HR Premier

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 10:26:45 AM »
what about fuel taps left in overnite at race meetings  :o
east creek,WA TD3 ,stick it on the rollers mate,oops,sprayed 25' radius of toee mix all over everything,last seen with bike vertical on back wheel,fuel still running out the pipes,
philip island classic
RS125,stick it on the rollers mate!,just keep your thumb on the killswitch,10,000 rpms later,all good, mate takes thumb off prematurely,kaboom,fffff ffuggging fffire everywhere,i'm looking at my flaming hand (approx 12" of fire),thinking wow,can't feel any heat yet ,everyones freaking,nah.cool as shoves it inside my jacket,pfft shes out
yeah i did the rag down the inlet,had to wheel the bike backwards pulling the rag back out,swear it went twice round the crank,(piston port DTMX rr) :o
 :P

Offline g465b

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »
in the early 80's,old mate Dave buys his first car a beautiful one owner HT Premier 186 auto,its his pride and joy. a few weeks later when
quizzed about the huge amount of oil under his car where he parked it out side his parents place,Dave lifts the bonnet(oil everywhere) and while explaining his car is using oil,takes the cap off the tappet cover and points out that it isnt full again. those old cork gaskets never had
a chance.   g.