Author Topic: Ebay or Gumtree pros and cons  (Read 5690 times)

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Ebay or Gumtree pros and cons
« on: July 15, 2013, 06:12:37 PM »
I've never used Gumtree for buying or selling, but as its free to advertise might be the way to go to sell, I just get the feeling that its probably ok for houshold goods, furniture, etc but for bikes and parts might attract the riffraff.
Ebay fees are the killer but just feel its a safer way to sell. Any thougts?

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay or Gumtree pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:28:48 PM »
I've never used Gumtree for buying or selling, but as its free to advertise might be the way to go to sell, I just get the feeling that its probably ok for houshold goods, furniture, etc but for bikes and parts might attract the riffraff.
Ebay fees are the killer but just feel its a safer way to sell. Any thougts?

Gum tree does get a lot of hits, probably more then eBay these days. It also seems to be used a lot more for listing motorbikes in NSW and QLD than it is here in Vic, you are right in thinking you'll have to put up with more of the riff raff, but it's just a matter or using diligence when dealing with people on the phone and trying to work out who's fair dinkum and who's just playing games. But nothing different than the kind of tyre kickers that everyone previously had to put up with in the days of the Trading Post and those kinda classified print media. To avoid scammers never put your phone number within an ad in numbers only, scammers use program's that filter through ads and pick the phone numbers out to send bogus text messages in attempts to screw you over, put your phone up as numbers and letters instead to avoid these people being able to pick up on your ad, For example; 0400 000 zero zero zero.

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:19:42 PM »
Some gumtree adds I notice show the sellers full residential address! 

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
Gumtree is now owned by Ebay...it won't be free for much longer :-[

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 07:30:19 PM »
They say you learn something every day and Rookie, you have explained to me why I've seen adds with the letters and numbers in some adds.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 02:26:26 PM »
ive used gumtree with some success selling muddaboiks but it seems its still an under $5k regime

Offline Husky1

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 03:25:43 PM »
Seems gumtree was too big a threat to epay if former comment is correct. Epay is getting too expensive to buy goods, more a seller market in my view, but main problem is you do not know who you are bidding against. Epay binds your purchase where as you can be messed around considerably more on gumtree. Lots of time wasters on gumtree as the registration process is less strict. Feedback system is worthwhile in epay.

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »
I sold a lot of household stuff (cots, baby seat etc) on gumtree before we moved a couple of months ago.  Had a lot of calls from the gumtree ads, not many from the ebay ads.  For local stuff that has to be picked up, gumtree seems to get rid of it quicker

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:14:55 AM »
Probably not relevant to bikes but after doing a retaining wall I had 50 bessa blocks left over and 1/4 ton of sand (Im not a very good estimator!) - listed it for free on Gumtree and within 45 min of the add hitting the site It was being picked up - saved me a lot of time and trouble to get rid of it

Cheers
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »
How much did you get for the 1/4 ton of sand? ;D

I might have to sweep the back of my truck out ::)
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 09:41:45 AM »
Next time I will post on here first!!

I gave it away for free to the first person who arrived with a truck or trailer

The blocks cost me $2 each and the sand ???, not that I am made of money but I just wanted them gone as quickly as possible and to sell them and the sand I would have got $50 - $60 but who knows how long I would have to keep looking at them in the middle of my new courtyard
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC