Author Topic: Ethanol in fuel.  (Read 9622 times)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Ethanol in fuel.
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »
Heres a link I found on the TwinShock Chairs site from the UK regarding the use of Ethanol blends and its effects on fuel systems and glass tanks etc....

http:/www.jawaczownersclub.co.uk/technical_advice13.htm

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Ethanol in fuel.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:07:41 PM »
Been using and testing ethanol blends for a number of years and unless you let your bike stand for long periods without draining the fuelout of the tank and the float bowl. There are no ill effects from using ethanol based fuels. Everyday drivers have no problems.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »
I agree with Lozza. Ethanol seems to be this thing that everyone loves to hate, without always understanding what theyre raging against.

That said, the set of carbon fibre Boyensen reeds* in my GG200 appear to have had the resin 'washed away' in places.
They're well rooted anyhow, but I'm wondering if ethanol might be the cause?

No pics until the new reeds turn up, sorry.

*for Lozza: it's got a Rad Valve - I didn't choose them.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:06:11 PM »
CANT USE IT IN MY BOAT SO ITS NOT GOING IN MY BIKE OR MY CAR
e10 fuel is not to be used in boats or ultra lifgt aircraft
have enough troble with methenol eating glass and alloy dont need the extra labor with my petrol bikes as well
jim

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boating/biofuels.html
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:12:31 PM by jimg1au »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »
unless you let your bike stand for long periods without draining the fuel out of the tank and the float bowl.

Jim you reckon that might apply to a boat or aircraft?

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
yep
it absorbes water just like methenol and rots stuff just like methenol

Montynut

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 06:56:41 AM »
Another problem we old bike owners have is that E10 fuel is inconsistent. There can be anything from 0% - 10% ethanol (read the product fine print). Engine management systems handle that variation easy but carbies on '70 & '80s bikes don't handle it so well especially if you are trying to jet it ::). This variation also causes it to burn inconsistently which again is handled with ease by modern engine management systems not so well by carbies and old ignition systems.

Ethanol is becoming expensive and difficult to obtain in the quantities required. So the % ethanol does vary widely and often according to a mate who works in the industry operating and maintaining the blending equipment with a major supplier on the east coast.

The stuff rips old fibreglass to bits. I don't even run it in my mower.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 07:59:11 AM »
Exactly how would any variation in ethanol content affect jetting? Exactly who would a tank full of 5% ethanol burn differently to 10%? Water content in ethanol is about 5% so out of 1 litre of e10 you would have 5mls of water, a squirt of metho will break up and burn that no problems.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »
Couple of things.
[1]  they make ethanol out of food. [ lots of food ,lucky no one's starving and the world has heaps to spare]

[2] Ethanol has less BTU's [ energy ] per unit than the fuel it replaces ,therefore you are paying for something you are not getting [ sorta like the new Mars Bars ].

[3] If you remove 10% of the energy of a litre of fuel and replace it with something that has less energy then you end up with a product that has LESS energy.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 09:06:48 AM »
Well: all in agreement.. Ethanol is a way to water down good petrol. Bring back the lead!
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:11:01 AM »
Jeez-I'm already glad I found that thread :o :o
Still, any debate is better than none.
The son of the chap we used to do our cylinder heads has gone in to on selling ethanol to drifters and speedway racers (cars) and they love the stuff.
Alot to do with how and when it's used perhaps and what you do with what's left in the tank at the end of the day I 'spose.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 09:12:05 AM »
   Good analogy mike bit like the potato chips you get these day's where the packets 75% air - good for profits  ::) i would'nt use that ethanol shit to wash  parts in and i reckon the "good stuff" is going the same way ! profits at all expense - ours :-\

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »
The only way I can get the CCM, Husky and old KLX250 to run right is to use a mix of 97 octane super unleaded pump fuel with 20-25% of 114 octane leaded race fuel. Great if your not out and about on the trails. I put 5 litres of 97 in the Husky the other weekend when out, and it ran like a bag of crap.
Progress ....... I think it's regress  >:(
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »
I remember when if you wanted to fark someones motor, you put sugar in it....I dont buy the ethanol crap....or Lozza's scientific reasoning....how many bikes do YOU actually ride and race Lozza?.....not all the shit you read on the "net" is true or real life.....a bit like on here sometimes. ???
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.