Author Topic: What is this thing called carbon tax?  (Read 77179 times)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What is this thing called carbon tax?
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2011, 01:06:27 PM »
 Why do people keep saying "why should OZ take the lead in this" when 32 countries including England and China[who it appears are spending the most] have been into a price on carbon some going back ten years?
  pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2011, 01:18:28 PM »
Why do people keep saying "why should OZ take the lead in this" when 32 countries including England and China[who it appears are spending the most] have been into a price on carbon some going back ten years?
  pancho.

You can't be serious surely?  ::)

England's commitment is conditional on everyone else doing it (which isn't happening)

China is planning to dramatically increase it's CO2 emissions in the next 10 years, not reduce.

What are the other 32 countries, by the way?

Offline lyle2212

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »
Pancho ,who feeds you this misinformation, China is the biggest polluter in the world and they have got no intentions of slowing down, wether or not they pay a carbon tax is totally irrelavant. How anyone in their right mind can believe that by paying a tax on carbon will produce a cleaner environment is beyond my comprehension...

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2011, 02:20:01 PM »
We also need to implement a fine system for politicians, screw up and it will cost you.
Any stupid things that a politician wastes tax payers money on that doesn't work.  They have to buy.

I have just realized that you are trying to push a thing called  "personal responsibility" CRASH N BERN. :o

Does that mean that m/bikes are NOT dangerous and that all those crashes I had were MY fault.
Nooooooooo.

Except the one where I was trying to get past IT400c,s dad Barry. I blame him for that one ;D

85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2011, 02:33:17 PM »
  pancho.
Pancho appears to have a point although the tax doesn,t look to be delivering the results promised , and in British Colombia  has become exactly what the sceptics here are forecasting.
http://ep.probeinternational.org/2011/02/18/aldyen-donnelly-british-columbias-carbon-tax-quagmire/

This one is put in to confuse the hell out of everyone ;D
http://ep.probeinternational.org/category/climate-change/global-cooling/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:43:43 PM by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »

[/quote]

You can't be serious surely?  ::)

England's commitment is conditional on everyone else doing it (which isn't happening)

China is planning to dramatically increase it's CO2 emissions in the next 10 years, not reduce.

What are the other 32 countries, by the way?
[/quote]

The 32 countries ( without looking it up) can really only be EU member states .The initiative is not from 32 individual sovereign states but from onE controlling body in Brussels - the EU.
Its a test just like the single Euro currency.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2011, 06:52:26 PM »
A very recent paper suggests that the cooling trend of the past decade (that is, the temps have not risen as AGW theory would predict) is largely due to Chinese soot. I think the argument is that temps would have risen in line with AGW if it weren't for China's emergence as a major industrial power. So China is a problem in terms of both CO2 AND particulate emissions.

That said, there's also a fair discussion underway right now about an analysis that seems to be pointing to a climate sensitivity at the lower end of the scale.

Who the Hell knows what's going on...   ::)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »

Who the Hell knows what's going on...   ::)
[/quote]

The IPCC's seasonal weather predictions have in the most part been way off.Independant forecasters who earn their living from long range weather forecasting like Piers Corbyn have been extremely accurate.

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2011, 07:28:09 PM »
come on you guys, wake up and realise how this is going to affect our VMX racing.

You all should know how much carbon is building up in the cylinder heads, ports and exhausts
of all our beloved race bikes ;D

If is costed by the kilo then who can afford to run a two-stroke ( or a worn four stroker )

I can see It now at the nats........ a teardown and decoke with the carbon police wieghing it up  ???

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »
Well someone in the silver city made the right decsicion choice today 
LIVE EXPORT BAN HAS BEEN LIFTED  :P  ;D  8) 
yyyeesss sirr reee yyyiippppeeee for the farmers and cow pad makers  ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

oldfart

« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2011, 07:35:42 PM »
NOT  so good for the cows.

Bioflex

« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »

Quote from: mx250link=topic=19750.msg196450#msg196450 date=1309868835

So because Australia has been prudent in the past it is now time to be imprudent?

I actually see this as being the most sensible solution, it is an evolution in the way of thinking. Now, we are wiser to the effect on the environment we are more concerned about it. I'd like to hope had we understood this situation many years ago, the path of "progress" may have been somewhat different for the while world..

The world has an enormous over population problem as well, something like 60 million refugees. Australia is one of the best placed countries in the world to facilitate these people. In the same logic lets throw open the doors and let them in even if it means we will become a third world country in the process and become part of the problem in the future.

Why suggest such extremes?
I don't see our response to climate change as that dramatic, I completely disagree with all the dooms dayers who proclaim the economy will will be ruined if we take the suggested modest measures. RegardiWng refugees, while I do think we should take some - as we do, in terms of what we produce and based on current consumption I don't think Australia can actually sustain a massive increase in population. Unless of course we start consuming less, and I am sure refugees could teach us a think or two about that.

They are not polluters they are producers. But if we are going to have action lets make it specific action and action which doesn't disadvantage us.

The idea with the tax as far as I can see is to tax those who do pollute, which encourages us to use more efficient and cleaner methods of production. It is wrong to suggest all producers are polluters, we have many examples of companies in Australia who are cutting edge in terms of green technology. If this tax creates more of them then it is a definite positive.

If you want to talk consumerism lets talk international and intra mation jet flights. 19% of the carbon omissions are produced by burning kero in the stratosphere.

I agree with you here. Many of the green measures implemented are hopeless and there are far too many "feel good" measures around. More needs to be done to properly educate people on exactly what is causing the pollution and proper solutions. The peddlers of solar cells are a good example. At a recent expo a friend and I calculated the amount of carbon each 190 watt pv cell would save in its life time. When trying to seek information on how much carbon is produced when manufacturing these cells we received nothing but blank stares.
Seemed a bit ironic that people were selling these to save the environment, yet they had no idea (or desire for that matter) to know there actual net pollution reduction!

I agree. If we have spefic issues lets address the specific issues. We've had more than 40 years to build better house's and the market place has produced the clap trap that we now have. And this is the mechanism that the govt is now to entrust to bring change. The market place is notoriously fickle and not rational.

Yes, the result of course is bigger houses, people with higher debt and of course a massive increase in energy consumption. Relatively speaking there is a lot more money available and unless the govt does something to encourage less consumption (ie a tax) then the problems will continue.
The crux of this is that people are complaining as they may have to think twice before turning the heater on, buying a new car every second year and so on. Of course, this goes against the balance of keeping the economy strong which relies on "stimulus" (read buying a lot of useless crap).

If you think steel is bad find out what the 'dust to dust' environmental cost of aluminum and nickle is. And that is the current Greenie answer to 'feel good'. And then do a 'dust to dust' on solar and windmills. There are better solutions out there. Make massive investments in all these inefficient solutiuons and degrade the economy in the process and there won't be the monies for the efficient solutions when they become available.

Again, I think this needs to be a bit more understood and info here is severely lacking. I used steel as an example but it is interesting to know that aluminium is that much worse.

Meanwhile the country and economy we all rely on, either directly or indirectly, goes down the tubes. ::)

I employ more than 10 staff, pay over a quarter of a million in GST each year, so understand what business (and tax) is all about. This carbon tax will hurt my business financially if I am not smart, but I see it as a challenge. I've been busy looking into alternatives energies, have a friend designing a sun powdered sterling for us and so on.
There are too many business people who wait until the problem is too big then throw their hands up in the air and whinge.
IMO, being a good business person is about considering all options, making plans for the future and constantly preparing yourself for change. Next year we hope to increase our turnover by close to 50%, with or without the carbon tax.

Which make it bad policy and a political foot ball. Which is another reason I opposed GST - they excepted religion and political parties..
[/quote]

Unfortunately as long as society and the media remain so reactionary and we have such short political terms, satisfying the minorities will always be an issue. I agree that implementing measures only to come up with options that make a large proportion exempt is absolutely hopeless.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:17:47 PM by Bioflex »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »

I employ more than 10 staff, pay over a quarter of a million in GST each year, so understand what business (and tax) is all about. This carbon tax will hurt my business financially if I am not smart, but I see it as a challenge. There are too many business people who wait until the problem is too big then throw their hands up in the air and whinge.
IMO, being a good business person is about considering all options, making plans for the future and constantly preparing yourself for change.

Now that is the Aussie Spirit we should all listen too ...Long live the hard workin people 8)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2011, 10:32:43 PM »
http://newmatilda.com/2011/07/05/calm-carbon-storm

Oh well if VMX is banned, at least I'll be sucking in my last pre75 fumes at VMX on the Sunday morning,after the news has broken about carbon tax.
At least I get two more hours than you - hahaha 
cheers A

Best is in the West !!