Author Topic: Our CD8 road trip  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
Our CD8 road trip
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:20:28 AM »
Two mates and myself made the trip this year. This is a basic outline of our road trip to CD8.
Left Ballarat Vic. at 4am on the Tuesday before CD8. Stopped for a sightsee at the Dish at Parkes NSW. This was much better than I expected as I had no idea how big it is. We were lucky to be there when they were changing the receiver on top of the dish. To do it they tip it over to ground level and let a hoist rope down and lift the receiver unit up from the back of a small truck then put the dish horizontal again to install it, great to watch. Travelled on to Dubbo for our first night stop, booked into a caravan park cabin. Had a meal at the local pub. Fantastic meal and service ( better than we are used to in Vic. even had VB on tap). Wednesday morning travelled to Coonabarabran where I had bought a Hiace van off ebay 2 weeks earlier. Picked it up from the very honest guy that I bought it off.(it was better than I had hoped) Travelled on to Goongiwindi and stayed at a motel for the night. Another good meal in their resturant. Thursday on the road to Maleny. Reached there about 2pm, had a couple of beers at the hotel and checked in. They showed us the room I had booked but only 2 beds instead of the 3 I had booked.(good mates but not that good) After some thought, the manager gave us half the house out the back of the pub. 2 large bedrooms, large lounge room, large slate bathroom, kitchen, laundry, entrance hall with piano and balcony opening onto lawn area with creek and waterfall. All this for our $105 that we had paid for the pub room. My hat is off to the manager for rectifying the problem at a great cost to him. Anyway,we decided to find a local woodyard and get a ute load of wood to take with us to CD8(Just incase) as you do ;D before we settled into the bar. A local John Hyde put us onto a mate of his that sold wood. We went there bought the wood and got out as quickly as we could as we could hear the banjo's playing in the background :D
Settled into the bar and met some new guys and caught up with some old freinds. had a fantastic night and doggy digger walked us home and put us to bed but not before he made us clean our teeth first, what a good mate ;D
Woke up at 7am to a message on my phone from DD about cleaning my teeth again ??? Sausage rolls at the bakery(Yum) a stop at the supermarket and out to the Conondale. Our spot was gone that we had the year before but found another better one overlooking the whole place. Set up, sold a heap of stuff as we were unloading, got a good fire going and opened the esky with 7 slabs of beautiful Melbourne bitter stubbies and VB cans in 6 bags of ice in it. We sat back cracked our first can and took it all in around us. (I wonder what the poor people were doing just then ;D) Had a wander and couldn't beleive the variety of all the machinery there with more to come. Great night Friday with the films etc. Saturday woke up slowly, had another wander, even more to see. Great legends segment again this year. Lots of riding to watch then back to the fire and esky again when the rain started. Filled in time with some old mates and some new ones around our fire then down to see if the band was as good as last year. As it turned out it wasn't it was much better. Fabulous night very entertaining (thanks to Alison and her plastic ducks :D) doggy digger put us to bed again in the miserable rain. It never let up till the morning. Woke up and my mates had decided it would be a good idea to pack up and go before the rain started again. I thought we should stay but the majority ruled so we packed up, got cleaned up and watched the Legends that had stuck around again.
Really interesting interwiews again (well done macca for your work and entertainment all weekend)
Left Conondale about 2pm and headed for Lismore via a stop over on the Gold Coast. Monday morning picked up 2 bare bones XL250's at a forum members place near Nimbin and headed for Kempsey. Held up by water over the highway for a an hour or so then the terencial rain started. We arrived at Kempsey just after the highway was cut in several places. If we hadn't left when we did we might still be there.(thank goodness for majority rules :D)

"to be continued." 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:10:03 PM by Stan S »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Our CD8 road trip
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »
Cant wait to see the return journey shopping list in the new blue van   :P
Doggy diggers gone quiet...do you thinks he's in his cave concocting a CD8 story book or just polishing his old 70's trophies with a CD8 ttowel !!  :)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:00:27 PM »
Doggy is probably on his way to the next VMX event somewhere, he is a travelling VMX willbury.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:05:18 PM »
"Continued"

Found a nice motel in Kempsey with a great Chinese resturant upstairs. Best chinese I have ever had ;) The terrential rain never stopped all night and we left at 6am Tuesday morning to see how far we could get before the water stopped us. Stopped off at a forum members house on the Central Coast NSW and bought some nice XL250 engine parts and CR250M forks. Headed for Sydney area to pick up a VR360 Monty that I had bought a few months ago. Picked it up in very heavy rain and headed for Yass. Booked into a nice motel in Yass that I had stayed at previously. I told the boys that the meal was good last time and they were keen to see if I was exagerating or not. Well they both said their steaks were among the best they had ever eaten ;D.
Wednesday morning we headed for Broadford as I had a Maico frame to drop off for a forum member to GMC's place to wave his magic wand over.(I hope it's fully charged for this one ;D) Next leg onto Deer park Maccas near Melbourne to drop off a YZ80/XR that we had bought back for another forum member. Then off on the last leg home to Ballarat. We travelled about 4300klm's and had a ball.
Congratulations must go to the VMX guys, the very hard working club members and school canteen staff for another wonderful job of CD8 under very difficult circustances.
Here is some pic's from our trip and CD8.

Daryl and Domo during the trip

The Dish at Parkes

Found these people watching the changing of the receiver :D

New van off ebay ;)

Our camp at CD8

"to be continued"
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:31:03 AM by Stan S »

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:19:11 PM »

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:17:18 PM by Stan S »

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »
My new Montesa. It is a 73 VR250 that Lyall O'brien back in the day had fitted a 68 GP360 engine for his son Gary to race. It won many major races in 73 before being updated in 74 with a 74 tank and rims also the suspension was laid down in late 74. the guy who bought it in 77 made it into an enduro bike complete with welded on grab handles and rock gaurds ??? Pictured is the gentleman I bought it from and his son..

We were surprised to find the Ettamogah Pub closed. The sign on the door said: "Closed due to unforeseen circumstances"

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 04:09:50 PM »
Shame it was shut,though I think stastically they drink more in Queensland  ;)  ;D  ;D
Awesome find in the Montesa. 8)

Best is in the West !!

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »
Shame it was shut,though I think stastically they drink more in Queensland  ;)  ;D  ;D

Maybe we should have one in Victoria then Alison :D

Stan.

mainline

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 08:21:44 PM »
that's us in the background Stan. I'd just pulled in by the looks and was being helped to unload by Vandy and Tony B, and probably abused by Ted ;D

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »
Some pic's of the Legends Laps. (sorry about the quality, I can't take a clear action shot if my life depends on it :D)

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 08:35:08 PM »
that's us in the background Stan. I'd just pulled in by the looks and was being helped to unload by Vandy and Tony B, and probably abused by Ted ;D

Well there you go mainline, so close but I missed catching up and meeting you. Maybe next time.

Stan.

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:44:35 PM »
It almost looks like the sun is out :o
I think I had a chat to you on Fri avo, I was on the 4Wheeler had just finished watering the Pre78 track :D
Cheers
Noel   
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »
It almost looks like the sun is out :o
I think I had a chat to you on Fri avo, I was on the 4Wheeler had just finished watering the Pre78 track :D
Cheers
Noel   

Yes thats right Noel, we had just come back from admiring your SWM. You and your crew did a fantastic job all weekend.

Stan.