Author Topic: G450X  (Read 4808 times)

Offline oldie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
G450X
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
Oi Drakie, you still got your Beemer? & how's it going, I'm still happy with mine, it's a pity they aren't making them anymore, I've learnt a good lesson, I see BMW in a much different light now, I had fath in bmw & bought the G450X, now they have pulled the pin & I'm now stuck with it, who wants to buy a bike that is no longer in production, I'll tell ya............... NOW ONE.

Frank Reefman.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: G450X
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:32:18 PM »
G450 hasn't disappeared just mutated into Taiwanese powered Husqvarna, Kymco motor is probably the best bit. BMW thought they were smarter than everyone else and produced a bike that not even David Knight cou;ld win on.... priceless
formerly Marc.com

Offline oldie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:48:13 AM »
Don't knock the bike mate, have you got one, if not then you don't know what you are talking about, as far as David knight goes, he calls himself a world champion, looks like he can only do the job on a KTM Kawasaki was shit too, I reckon a world champion should be able to ride anything & win, BMW should have been smart & never gave nighter the bike that has been the down fall of their great bike.

Doggy Digger

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:20:11 PM »
I pass on this quote from latest UK Dirt Bike Rider:
"The main problem with the BMW was the swingarm pivot running through the front sprocket on the same axis - the bike
actually lifts at the rear under acceleration instead of squatting so it doesn't grip -and then the engine rotation runs backwards
so when you hit any soft terrain and try to power through it, it actually lifts the rear
and quite often faceplants you into the ground!"
                               - David Knight

Drakey told me his bike is an awesome climber

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »
Don't knock the bike mate, have you got one, if not then you don't know what you are talking about, as far as David knight goes, he calls himself a world champion, looks like he can only do the job on a KTM Kawasaki was shit too, I reckon a world champion should be able to ride anything & win, BMW should have been smart & never gave nighter the bike that has been the down fall of their great bike.

I have ridden one and quite liked it, but Juha also had problems with it and put it down to lateral chassis flex, which Husky resolved. Juha mentioned that they moved the motor forward of the swingarm pivot and it made no special difference. BMW was making a first time crack at a modern dirt bike and KTM business is based around them which is probably the difference.

So since the game has moved on .... G450 is still decent trail bike but won't win world championship .... nor will the Japanese until they get serious and have THIS years technology on their off road bikes.
Notice Whibs is unstop able since he got on YZ and kicked WR450 into touch.

formerly Marc.com

maxvmx

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 05:14:27 PM »
I bought my G450X when they first hit our shores, I've still got mine and to this day it's without doubt head and shoulders above anything else I've ridden - love it

Offline oldie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:36:01 PM »
I pass on this quote from latest UK Dirt Bike Rider:
"The main problem with the BMW was the swingarm pivot running through the front sprocket on the same axis - the bike
actually lifts at the rear under acceleration instead of squatting so it doesn't grip -and then the engine rotation runs backwards
so when you hit any soft terrain and try to power through it, it actually lifts the rear
and quite often faceplants you into the ground!"
                               - David Knight

Drakey told me his bike is an awesome climber

;D I must be an awesome rider then, I've never had a face plant, in fact like most bikes the harder you ride them the better it goes, I agree with Drakey it's a awesome hill climber, the only thing that lets me down sometimes is my age :D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 12:52:31 AM »
I mean finally none of us are Juha or David so I wouldn't read too much into the tests. BMW gave up and bought Husqvarna which is probably a good thing for all concerned.

formerly Marc.com

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 10:11:07 AM »
The 2011 450 Husky now has the BMW engine.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 10:16:57 AM »

…and the concentric countershaft/swingarm pivot.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 10:42:21 AM »

Actually it is a Kymco engine made in Taiwan.
formerly Marc.com

Offline oldie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 10:44:47 AM »
I don't care what BMW come up with, I wont have anything to do with BMW again, thanks to them I'm stuck with my G450X now, don't get me wrong I love the bike.

Peter Drakford, where are you mate, I'm interest in your viewpoint on the beemer now.

Offline oldie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 10:55:11 AM »

Are you implying that they are crap, well I've got news for you, I've done over 120 hours & 4,874 k/m, the valves haven't moved yet, the only issue with the engine is the torque converter, which is still cover under warranty even tho I don't have the warranty.

TM BILL

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »

Are you implying that they are crap, well I've got news for you, I've done over 120 hours & 4,874 k/m, the valves haven't moved yet, the only issue with the engine is the torque converter, which is still cover under warranty even tho I don't have the warranty.

Read the previous postings Quote Marc FX "Kymco motor is probably the best bit" I dont think marcs saying the motors crap  ::)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 11:35:12 AM »
Hell I have 3 years as a Kymco scooter jockey in Taiwan, so I have every faith in their engine building, the Germans should have let the Taiwanese design the motor at the same time.

Problem is engineers in the German speaking zone are starry eyed about technology ( I work with them), so they can't help but reinvent the wheel. They should have just copied an existing 450 engine platform rather than try and break too much new technical ground. Building new motor design ( crank mounted clutch, torque converters) then whacking it in a new design of chassis was too much for them to bite off at one time.

BMW S1000RR is big winner as they never played the new technology game excessively. BTW your BMW is probably still worth something, trade it at a BMW dealer on new Husqvarna.
formerly Marc.com