Author Topic: Retro MX - Pre '90 comes to NSW  (Read 10143 times)

firko

Re: Retro MX - Pre '90 comes to NSW
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 10:17:58 AM »
Email or call Firko
Rudy my stuffs already here Rudy so I'd also suggest Shoreline or if you want it shipped into Sydney it might be worth giving John Fleming a ring on 0400295 295. Jim off this forum uses him and seems pretty happy with him.

Evil Rudy

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2010, 04:52:09 PM »
Hey STiG,

How will your rule on this little continuation situation...

1989 Suzuki RMs are legal, but the model did not change shape or fundamental parts from 89 to 92.

How says you.

Love,
Rudy

Evil Rudy

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »
... same for YZ 250 of era.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 09:15:45 PM »
(Talking beyond the specific NSW stuff here)

You're asking whether they're carry-over models?

I'm too lazy to go and check, but I'm pretty sure that pre-85 rules in the MoMS doesn't have any provision for carry over - presumably pre-90 will be the same?

Basically, I can't see why the carry-over model rules wouldn't be the same as they are for the earlier eras: Same parts = same bike = still eligible for the older eras regardless of the actual date of manufacture.

I also reckon that there would be benefit in limiting brake diameter and USD fork diameter to stop later model parts sneaking in*. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there weren't any USD forks larger than 41mm in 1989.

*Just like all of those Honda cartridge forks that aren't fitted to pre-85 Hondas... :D

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 09:19:25 PM »
the pre 85 supp regs do not allow for carry over models, this was the intent that was submitted to MA and endorsed, and pre 90 should follow suit!

cheers Trev

Evil Rudy

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010, 11:34:11 AM »
supp regs my rather large arse...

its not sheep stations of national titles...

its getting fellas off their behinds and out riding at a CLUB DAY

I have checked and they are the same - hence the question

(Nathan, never start an arguement you havent already won)

Hugs,
Rudy

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010, 12:20:43 PM »

I have checked and they are the same - hence the question

(Nathan, never start an arguement you havent already won)

Making allowances for stuff that can be freely modified/swapped under the existing rules (like wheel diameters and shock absorbers and fork internals and cosmetics).

The 1990 YZs got different forks to the '89s (including a different colour, making them easy to spot). The '90 YZ250 got a significantly different frame, with different radiator mounts, different swing arm and different rear suspension linkage, and a different barrel.
It is not a carry-over bike, and would be quite easy to pick someone trying to slip one through.

The 1990 RM250 got a different frame, with rectangular section tubing near the swing arm pivot.
It is not a carry-over bike, and would be quite easy to pick someone trying to slip one through.

Both the 1990 YZ & RM 125s are close to being 89-model carry-overs, although they both got different forks to the 1989 models, making them easy to spot.
I'd contend that with the right forks fitted, both would be acceptable Pre-90 bikes - and as the 90 RM125 forks are essentially the same as the 89 RM250 forks, then a stock '90 RM125 should be an acceptable pre-90 bike (bit vague on that, because a 14 year old Nathan cut up his now-valuable reference material, so I can't tell you about the 90 RM125 motor compared to the 89 model's).

Compared to the 90 models, the 91 RM125 & 250 got bigger forks (45mm), and different & linkages swingarms to the 91s. The 125 also got a different barrel.
91 YZ125 & 250 had similar upgrades to the RMs, along with a different frame to the 91s.
So none of the 91s are possibly carry-over pre-90 models, even if the 1990s are.

Kawasaki made it easy to spot a 90+ KX125/250 from the pre-90 models by going to the perimeter frame. The KX500 IS a legitimate carry-over bike, providing it has the right model forks - same goes for the CR500, I believe.

The CR125 went to a HPP exhaust power valve in 1990, easily distinguishing it from the pre-90 models.
CNBF looking at the 1990 CR250 right now.

The idea that it is impossible to pick the differences between post-84 model bikes, is a myth. The knowledge will be gained as the knowledge is needed.
99% of the general population wouldn't know that a 1977 CR125 isn't a legal pre-75 bike while a 1975 model is - but we know because we know what matters and what to look for.
Similarly, I have SFA idea about the legalities of pre-65 bikes, but the people who are interested and/or who need to know, know.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:28:38 PM by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »
wouldnt it be easier to say no, now f--k-of and ride ya bike in the moderns?

just a thought

Cheers Worms

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 02:18:57 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to say the same things to all of those Pre-70 riders?
I mean all this hassle with square barrell Maico, RT1s, etc - its all too messy, so they should all just f%^k off now and go play with the pre-75 bikes.

Oh, and then pre-75 is hard too - 6-speed boxes in YZ125s, LTR Maicos, 1975 CR125s, etc - its all too messy, so they should all just f%^k off now and go play with the pre-78 bikes.

...And repeat until you've concluded that Classic MX is just all too hard and we all fork off and go play with the moderns.

Every era will bring its set of challenges - its just silly to claim that pre-90 will be any better or worse than the eras that came before it.

Evil Rudy

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 03:47:53 PM »
My point i guess is if they're going to get all hung up about this shit now, they will not learn from history and are doomed to repeat it.

I just thought if the tank seat and plastics are the same, the rest is open to cheating anyways, fork internals, wheels etc, why not let it go.

I once made the mistake of putting forward a postie bike class idea. By the time they were through bs-ing it was distorted to all shit.

I had one rule. It had to use a postie frame and seat and the engine with original engine mounts and wheel sizes. Go nuts with the rest. Long shocks, swinging arms, forks, carbs, big bores, pipes.

Thats the fun part - making and modifying your own "works" bike, not hiding the things that are not strickly in the rules.

Kill joys.
Rudy

ted

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »
So how many Satanists turned up for the launch of Pre 90 to NSW

How did it go

Was the track good

How was the food...

ted

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 06:55:34 PM »
I have an ear in my gearbag that was retrieved from Bear that i believe belongs to that # 29 guy.

PM me and i will post it to ya...hehehe

Evil Rudy

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 08:22:44 PM »
That's mean ted.

Funny though...

Offline Turtle.Inc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2010, 10:41:22 PM »
So how many Satanists turned up for the launch of Pre 90 to NSW

How did it go

Was the track good

How was the food...

Callled out for a look but didnt ride as nothing prepared, looked like a good turnout tho and lot of interest shown by the guys I saw coming around for a look, I would reckon around fifteen bikes on display or being ridden but could have been more, even a few pre 85 and pre 78. Track looked perfectly groomed by the Lakes crew as usual and would have liked to have a blast around once out there :)
Didnt sample the food but did take a few pics, just not off my phone yet, also teknic technician ot setting up suspension settings for a few of the bikes would of been good to get a few adjustments on a track like lakes, always next time ;D
Always looking for Maico parts/bikes, cash paid

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2010, 09:07:06 AM »
Well our first "event" went off last weekend.

The Lakes club put on a display on how to run a day with plenty of time for everyone on a track that is arguably the best prepared facility in NSW.

Considering the late notice we had a good roll up of 14 riders on a mixture of bikes from Evo, Pre '85 and Pre '90 as well as Iron Man Ricki on his Pre '75. And despite running with moderns Rick told me he found the track conditions were no problem for the mighty 400  ;D

Thanks to Fast Eddie for his sensational BBQ. How good were his snags?

Thanks to Nick and Bear from Technik for their tips and advice on suspension setup.

Stay tuned for details on our next social ride and BBQ coming up soon. As well as details on plans for the Pre '90 racing season next year.

Cheers
Shaun