Author Topic: Dump Finds  (Read 44905 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
Re: Dump Finds
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2015, 09:22:33 PM »

Found this at the tip in 1999 it's still a work in progress, but I'm getting there lol
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 03, 2015, 05:48:54 PM »
The wife did a tip run yesterday, and the tip superintendent, asked her if I would be interested in and old Yamaha that had been dumped on the scrap metal pile (normally I do our regular fortnightly tip runs, so I know the super quite well). Anyway, she actually told me about it when I got home last night, surprisingly!

After picking me up this afternoon, the wife took me to the tip to have a look at the bike, turns out it was a 1974/5 Yamaha AG175. It was a bit of a wreck, with the normal welded on gear lever, a surprisingly good bodge to fix the clutch cover, a seized rear wheel and a lot of part missing, but for $10 you can't expect too much. None to say it went into the back of the ute and is now at home and joins the ever increasing collection of old Yamaha Ag bikes, making it 2 complete AG 175 and 4 incomplete ones.

The new bike!

A surprisingly good bodge job!

I have just had a go at turning the engine over with the kick start, and the kick start doesn't engage, so I suspect that it might have done the old trick of snapping the end off of the counter shaft where the kick start idler gear is. I have seen this quite a few times with these engines if they kick back.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2015, 05:26:18 PM »
The only Yamaha I like, must be that orange paint.  I have 5 of these things, I have to restore one for a mate and one for myself.

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2015, 05:34:42 PM »
Picked this up today, bought the motor and inquired as to what happened to the rest of it and he said his dad was taking it to the dump, did I want it. His dad delivered it the next morning. Total $40 delivered. Complete including the speedo, ratty preston pretty light and Bassini pipe.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2015, 06:37:35 PM »
Not VMX, but still a dump find.

I got a call from the superintendent at the local tip on Thursday afternoon, asking if I was interested in an Orange Yamaha 100, as a guy had just turned up with one on a trailer. He knows me well, because of course I was interested. That was all the info I had until this morning when I went and picked it up.

Its a 1977 Yamaha YB100. and it is virtually complete, which is way more than i expected. The only thing missing is the LH handle bar switch assy and clutch lever. Of course I spent a bit of time checking it over once I got it home. It looks like it was just parked in a shed and forgotten about. 14592km on the clock, no rust in the fuel tank, engine turns over but was quite dry when I lifted the head. The only problem I have found was a mouse nest inside the frame, and the little buggers have chewed up the wiring. I will try and bodge up the wiring tomorrow and check to se if I ca get some spark. I will also lift the cylinder and check the crank, and them see if I can get it to run.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline TTezza

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2015, 02:28:50 PM »
Top score

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2015, 07:13:20 PM »
I had a phone call yesterday from a mate asking if I wanted a road bike. My reply was of cause, my adopting homeless bikes program is still running & can't see it closing soon lol So today I picked up a 1983 Honda VF400 for free. So it's not a tip find as I got in before the tip lol Don't really know to much about this model but it seems all there. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2015, 07:15:38 PM »
It Runs!

I had a bit of spare time today, so I had a bit of a play with my new toy.

I lifter the cylinder and found that the rings were gummed up, but they free up easily, and the crank looked ok, so I squirted some oil into the main bearing oil holes, and onto the big end and put the engine back together. I gave it a kick and compression felt good, well for a 100cc 2 stoke, it definitely is easier to kick than my normal 500 Yamaha single. Alas there was no spark. I ended up having to drop the engine out of the frame to clean out the mouse nest from inside the frame and pull out the chewed up remains of the wiring loom. A quick bit of wiring and I had spark. With a bit 0f 50:1 mix in the tank, courtesy of my brush cutter, it was making all the right noises and trying to start, but wouldn't quite catch. Then I noticed that there was no signs of anything coming out of the muffler. A quick check revealed that the baffle was totally clogged, surprising in itself that a 40 year old 2 stroke still had it baffle fitted. Anyway with the baffle out is started after a few kicks and promptly filled my shed with blue smoke haze. Ah, the joys of 2 strokes.

I have a sneaky suspicion, that this little Yamaha is going to jump the restoration cue and become the next project on to the bench, well truth be know, it is already on the bench, but I need to finish the SL125 Honda first. So once the little Honda is done, this will be back onto the bench for a good clean and fettle.

I don't intend doing a full on restoration, just throw in a new wiring loom and piston /and rings, replace the seat and polish it as best as I can.

CJ
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:17:16 PM by Colj500 »

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2015, 09:01:27 PM »
CJ - I can remember my Dad having one of these as  commuter in Tassie when I as about 12-13 years old  ;D  We actually did a 2 up ride from Burnie to Launceston return on it at one stage - bloody hell!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2015, 09:11:57 PM »
great find ;)