Author Topic: Dump Finds  (Read 44893 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Dump Finds
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
Nice find,but do the right thing and leave them hanging on the shed wall. They offer very little ankle and lower leg support.
I'm in total agreement with Moto on Rossi Boots. I think there's a really good reason they were at the tip. In a nutshell Rossi boots are the root cause of me walking with a permanent limp for the last 30+ years. I've related the story on here before but I'll repeat it in the interest of public safety.......Back in 1983 We were trail riding in the Watagans when at the end of the day while my mates were prepping the campfire I decided to go for a short solo fang along a particularly fast section of fire trail we'd ridden earlier in the day. All was going well when without warning the front wheel on my Maico 490GS threw up a 20mm thick tree branch which speared into my ankle, penetrating the boot and knocking my foot off the peg and, as I was going at a fair clip, the tree kept hitting the ground , impaling the branch even further into my ankle until the pointy bit came out the other side. I managed to bring the bike to a stop and fell to the trail with the metre long stick poking out both ends of my ankle and blood pissing out everywhere. I didn't have to be an orthopedic surgeon to realise that I was in a fair bit of trouble so I took my Jersey off and made a tourniquet and waited in the fading light until someone found me. I can still remember the sounds of the silence of the bush except for the ringing sound of bellbirds and thinking that if nobody found me soon that I was ratshit.  Eventually after what seems like an hour (but was probably 10 minutes) and with about 15 minutes until dark I heard the sound of an approaching 2 stroke from the opposite direction from where I'd come from. Eventually a total stranger on a brand new white tank Husky arrived and after a few gasps at seeing my weird injury managed to get me onto his seat and he slowly piggy backed me to my camp where my mates were just about to leave on a search mission themselves. I was quickly thrown in the back of my mates Hi-Ace van and rushed to Gosford hospital where I underwent a tree removal in emergency and then the first of four operations to mend the ankle joint and associated tendon damage. It was a flucking mess. Over the next 30 years I had three more operations and finally last year ankle fusion surgery which has given me the first pain free existence since 1983.  The total was four major corrective surgeries, four "tune up" surgeries, an overall total of two plus months in hospital, six months (at least) off work and the end of any thoughts of a dancing career.

If I'd been wearing my usual Sidi boots the branch would have just bounced off and I wouldn't have even noticed it. Unfortunately, I'd lost one of my boots on the previous ride (I left them on the trailer and one fell off on the journey home) so I'd dusted off an old pair of Rossi's that someone had given me. When the branch hit the Rossi boot it hit a stitched joint that is in a vulnerable place making it easy to penetrate through the cotton stitching. Most serious motocross boots have a moulded or double thickness section protecting the ankle area but Rossi's are merely over grown versions of their work boot product and have little ankle support. Since the beginning of VMX I've been a bit of a campaigner against Rossi Boots (and Taiwanese Gunnar Gasser throttles) and to this day if I see someone at the races with Rossi's I have to tell them this tale. Don't wear them Garry, put 'em next to the jousting sticks in the poolroom.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:35:49 AM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2014, 04:01:52 PM »
While Rossi's look the part (I never owned any, graduated from Blunnies to Sidi's) it never failed to amuze how long it took to put a pair on!!!

Offline rough rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2014, 10:03:31 PM »
local fella running the recycle dump here picked up a 93 cr 125 a few weeks ago . not in bad nick but with seized motor , the guy dropping it off said it was running when it was put in the shed 15 yrs or so ago but had not been used since , ring is probably just stuck to bore !

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2014, 02:54:28 PM »
Not quite a dump find, but close enough.

1980 XL250SA.

I picked this up from the farm just down the road from my place this morning. It has been parked out in a paddock beside a pile of plastic pallet for about 3 years, originally on its sidestand, but for the last year or so it has been laying on its side after the stand sank into the dirt. I have been watching it slowly deteriorate all the time as I drive past the place daily going to and from work. The place has been unoccupied for the past few years, but this morning the owner was there cutting firewood when I was coming back from my regular tip run.  I asked if he was going to do anything with it. The answer was no, and he gave it to me, conditional that if/when I get it going again I let him have a ride.  He said it was running when he parked it there, but then they all say that. The engine turns over, which is more than what can be said about the rear wheel which is locked solid. It will take a lot of work to get it back to a ride-able bike, but I have some bits from a 1981 model in the shed which will help cut the cost down a bit. So, I now have another project. I don't think I will try and put it back to original, might turning it in to a bit of a vintage enduro bike. but I will have to wait and see how things go on my Husky at Harrow next weekend.

CJ

Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2014, 03:47:31 PM »
I hate you Col !!!!! I really hate you.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »
Good score Col I like it when it all falls into place like that. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2014, 06:44:45 PM »
current council roadside pickup,score so far,
#1 brand new wall oven  8),replacement for smaller w/shop stove,(pita removing cylinder studs to fit crankcases in)
# 2 ,6'10" singlefin tracker  ???,(young bloke restores them)
#3 82 XR200R frame,but the po took to it with 8"angle grinder,in 4 pieces,(i took the front half with forks in situ),maybe the rear axle was rusted solid as po just cut through the s/arm to release the wheel,(wherever they are??),no engine,maybe the scappies got there 1st  >:(, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2014, 07:21:10 PM »
I picked up a crappy looking ice bucket out the front of a total strangers house  ;) during the chuck out week a couple of years back, looked the goods for filling up with loose nuts and bolts etc.
It had a plaque on top which read
Inaugural Snowy Mountains Rally
!st Place Holden Dealer Team
Driver Colin Bond
Torana GTR XU1

Now all I have to do is find that car to go with it.
As they say "one mans trash,
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline The Wombat

• B-Grade
  • I think I can I think I can
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2014, 07:31:27 PM »
I found an air hockey table in an industrial estate, tied it to the roof and set off home.

2 roundabouts from home I thought .......... wtf do I need with this, so we did a U turn and plonked it back where we found it lol.

Offline Branchy

• B-Grade
  • husky 400 cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2014, 08:52:46 PM »
3/4 of a 1987 250 wr husky , man i had to do some ducking and weaving and strategic parking with a 4x4 and a really big high sided trailer so the security camera's didn't work out what i was doing , big friendly wave on the way out and took off 'far side style" very temped to go back that  night with the black gear on and cut the perimeter fence and crawl into the metal pile to find the rest of the motor , ps im not telling which tip
maybe a trip to gloucester for those boy'z really know how to throw a party ps dont mention dungog (must be some old footy rivalry)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2014, 09:46:45 AM »

Found this at my local tip $5.00 still useable & fits I'm happy. Jimson

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2015, 06:37:08 PM »
G'day viewers my washing machine went on strike because the belt snapped. As Samsung don't have any service on the South Coast. I went to the tip at Husky & pulled a belt of a machine there. While I was there found a head to a 1980 Honda  XL250 all for $5 Love the tip. Jimson

Offline TTezza

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2015, 06:56:43 PM »
Puch 1954? MC 250 split single, going to the dump before I rescued it

Put it together roughly the night I brought it home, Good buy for $0

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2015, 07:09:56 PM »
TTezza that's a great score love the look of it already.jimson

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2015, 08:22:34 PM »
Great finds  jimson. we picked up half a wine barrel and a windmill.now in the garden  8)

That's the best TTezza..these guys would give you a packet for it, though probably chop it out.
http://deuscustoms.com/
Best is in the West !!