Author Topic: Zinc plating - Qld  (Read 7737 times)

Offline Nelso_19

• Novice
    • View Profile
Zinc plating - Qld
« on: November 24, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good quality zinc plater in Qld? (or further adrift - I'll ship further for quality work).

Years ago I used Custom Coatings in Nth Brisbane. They were excellent to deal with, the quality was excellent and the prices were great also. I used them for my 96 McGrath replica CR. Unfortunately they no longer offer a zinc plating service and they recommend East Coast Electroplating. I used ECC about 6 months ago and they were terrible to put it politely! The quality was nowehere near what CC produced, the prices were double and the service was lousy. I had to continually call every week (and eventually every day) just to remind the guy that he had to do the job. He seriously asked me to continue to call him to remind him to do it! Who runs a business like that?? Turn around time stretched out to over 4 weeks also.

So can anyone recommend anyone else? Has anyone tried Gold Coast Electroplating? Any recommendations for NSW or Vic for good quality and people who understand the pain staking detail we put into our builds?

Thanks in advance  8)

Offline JIM77

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Zinc plating - Qld
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:33:41 PM »
Hi Col,

Are you down this neck of the woods now? I've used CP platers and they are too commercial, the finish was terrible. I had GC Electroplating redo them and the finish wash much better, although not perfect. Price was fair and turn around about a week.

If I had my time over I would have prepped my bolts with my bead blaster first, rather than a wire brush. They say you don't have to, but I reckon the finish is better when prepped properly.

I've been meaning to ask you what colour silver spray paint did you use to paint your r/h side case cover on the 96? I've got a new OEM clutch cover I'm trying to match.

Cheers Jim

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
I use Electroplaters at Kunda Park at Maroochydore. I have just had this lot and spokes from a front wheel done cost $75.  Finish is a bit hit and miss, but I have not used anyone else so can't compare. 

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:14:30 PM by NSR »
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline Nelso_19

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »
Hey Jim thanks for the reply. I didn't even know I had a reply. I'm new to this site and not sure how to get email alerts if someone comments on a thread I start??

Anyway yeah the 2 places I've used in the past had no prep on my behalf. I just sent stuff down dirty and rusty as they acid dipped them first to clean them. Anyway yeah I'm tempted to try GC Electroplating unless someone can come up with a better solution.

Thanks  :D

Hi Col,

Are you down this neck of the woods now? I've used CP platers and they are too commercial, the finish was terrible. I had GC Electroplating redo them and the finish wash much better, although not perfect. Price was fair and turn around about a week.

If I had my time over I would have prepped my bolts with my bead blaster first, rather than a wire brush. They say you don't have to, but I reckon the finish is better when prepped properly.

I've been meaning to ask you what colour silver spray paint did you use to paint your r/h side case cover on the 96? I've got a new OEM clutch cover I'm trying to match.

Cheers Jim

Offline Nelso_19

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 08:09:38 PM »
I use Electroplaters at Kunda Park at Maroochydore. I have just had this lot and spokes from a front wheel done cost $75.  Finish is a bit hit and miss, but I have not used anyone else so can't compare. 

Is that the before or after? If that's the 'after' photo I would seriously be asking for a refund! Sorry but that's not up to standard for me. Is that silver zinc plating??

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 08:46:23 PM »
Yeah there not the best.  It does look better than that photo.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 08:54:18 PM »
I have a guy that can do a great job, but....you have to clean everything in acid to remove the old zinc, wire buff/sandblast/file everything to make it as good as you want then the actual plating wont cost much, BUT if he does all that it will cost.....lots....any plating job is only as good as the prep....and the prep is where the time is.....I have seen a lot of bad zincing jobs and it usually comes down to price...cheap=shit.....yea mate, it only cost $80....but 6 months later.....pm me if you want it done.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 11:04:22 PM »
Is that the before or after? If that's the 'after' photo I would seriously be asking for a refund! Sorry but that's not up to standard for me. Is that silver zinc plating??

Just an update.  I picked up some spokes today and they look bloody great.  They have a new plating method. They have offered to do this lot again.  So the quality at Kunda Park Electroplaters has improved heaps.   

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 08:25:35 AM »
Someone put ACE electroplating up on Farcebook the other day.  I think they are in Geebung (?).  I have no experience of them, but thought I would mention it.

Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 07:52:54 PM »
I have been home plating with a Jane kit. Its terrific.the worst thing is you can't blame the platers for losing parts!

Offline Nelso_19

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 04:58:41 PM »
I have been home plating with a Jane kit. Its terrific.the worst thing is you can't blame the platers for losing parts!

SA are you able to post any pics of parts you've done please?

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 08:29:44 PM »

SA are you able to post any pics of parts you've done please?

l also plate at home and like being able to plate any part whenever it suits and l can plate to the standard l want.

Nickel nuts & bolts, chain adjuster, spokes, rim lock and seat bracket. Zinc sprocket and spoke nipples. You can't color nickel but you can color zinc in yellow, blue and black.
Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts