Author Topic: Dead Dog Racing - quite amazing!  (Read 21078 times)

All Things 414

Re: Dead Dog Racing - quite amazing!
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2010, 07:25:05 AM »
Nobody's in business to 'break even'. There's lots of overheads like advertising, insurance, buying and importing costs that the guy putting his bike in the trading post or sticking a 'for sale' sign on his bike outside his house doesn't have to pay.
Selling second hand equipment of any sort is fraught with problems especially something like old motocross bikes which as most of us know, have never been serviced as per the book. ::). I doubt these guys have x-ray vision and it would be impossible to spot most problems even with a bike that is running.
At the end of the day we should be gratefull that someone is giving people access to bikes they normally wouldn't be able to get hold of.
And no. I don't have anything to do with DDR. It just gives me the shits that people seem to think of small business's as being involved in naked profiteering when most are barely paying the bills.
Be thankfull they're there......
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:28:48 AM by All Things 414 »

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Dog Racing - quite amazing!
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2010, 10:49:21 AM »
Yep I agree with 414.  I've bought a couple of bikes of Wade.  Yes if I spent a couple of years scouring ebay I might of found them in better condition for the same money.  Probably would of found them in Melb, have to buy them blind and pay $350-500 each to ship them up to QLD.

Most of the bikes are unmolested but are in varying wear and tear condition. The biggest problems seem to be from sitting around for a long time.  You really need to start them and check them out.  DDR don't go over them when they get them.  They get them running for you, but if there are any issues, you need to point them out if you want them addressed.  I had a couple of issues with my bikes when I got them home and wade was quite happy to work something out with me.  But it is better if you sort it before the bike leaves the shop.

At least I could walk in see them, start them, take them home.  Even if you pay a little over the top, it's not like they will devaluate.

Keep in mind, he has to pay someone to drive around and find these bikes. Then someone has to wash them and drain the fuel.  Take them to the docks and pack them in the container.  Then there's shipping, customs and GST. Then there's rent advertising, wages. power, phone, and a hundred and one other red tape costs that come with running a business.
yes I think some of his prices might be a little over the top, but as I mentioned in another thread at least he's not devaluating the price of our bikes.  And until other people start doing it and going into competition you wont see any price slashing.