Author Topic: Aurrum plating  (Read 8066 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Aurrum plating
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 08:58:58 AM »
Electrosil have offered to plate iron in the past?!
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 09:29:22 AM »
Hi Nathan. They got frightened when I asked them about it and told me to re-sleeve.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
In my case I am looking to get an IT200 iron bore plated to bring it back to spec.

I had a sleeve on order, but apparently they are made of unobtainable now and the mob refunded me.

Ive spoken with NZ cylinders and they claim they can do nikasil onto cast and it sticks. Nobody else in Aus can do this.

Send it to Grant he should be able to plate it back to readily available piston size (bore size now minus 1mm) tell him I sent you and he will charge extra.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 09:45:01 AM »
Grant being from?

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 02:25:47 PM »
In my case I am looking to get an IT200 iron bore plated to bring it back to spec.

I had a sleeve on order, but apparently they are made of unobtainable now and the mob refunded me.

Ive spoken with NZ cylinders and they claim they can do nikasil onto cast and it sticks. Nobody else in Aus can do this.

Send it to Grant he should be able to plate it back to readily available piston size (bore size now minus 1mm) tell him I sent you and he will charge extra.

What sort of cost is involved to bring a cast iron bore back 1mm.

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 02:30:35 PM »
I was quoted mid $400 a couple of months ago.

Offline EdgyAl

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 07:43:42 PM »
Why would any Aussie send a cylinder overseas to be plated when there is a perfectly good business in Australia?
When the cost was less than half, and much better customer service, quality of work, advise and faster turn around.
But, that was when our dollar was a lot better,
I will still use them again if need be, they were excellent to deal with.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:57:31 PM by EdgyAl »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 10:10:26 PM »
Thanks mate, will do.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 11:30:36 PM »
I was quoted mid $400 a couple of months ago.
I'd be going with a custom sleeve for that sort of money and if done properly get 100% usable clyinder.

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 08:16:39 AM »
Resleeve costs the same if you can find a sleeve, and then the next top end rebuild consists of finding a piston and rings next size over, getting it bored and re-assembling.

With the nikasil, a top end rebuild could just be rings, or piston and rings the same size.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 09:29:06 AM »
I'd be going with a custom sleeve for that sort of money and if done properly get 100% usable clyinder.

Why is a cylinder that has the original liner plated not "100% usable"  ::)
Resleeve costs the same if you can find a sleeve, and then the next top end rebuild consists of finding a piston and rings next size over, getting it bored and re-assembling.

With the nikasil, a top end rebuild could just be rings, or piston and rings the same size.

Original/first o/s piston and rings are dirt cheap

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 08:32:20 PM »

Why is a cylinder that has the original liner plated not "100% usable"  ::)

Original/first o/s piston and rings are dirt cheap
I didn't say that re-plating was 100% but it does seem like some of the plating companies don't want to do it. Is it because it is not as reliable as plating alloy? I'm still out on the benefits of plating a cast iron cylinder. A thin layer of Nikasil does tranfer heat better than a thick cast sleeve but putting a layer of nikasil on cast to then get the heat into the alloy I would think was worse than just cast. I do know the the V8 super cars teams here in OZ thought they would give nikasil a go in there engines and after paying to have several block plated they ended up in the bin as they were unable to get close to the HP they had from the cast iron bores. With all the claims about less friction and better heat transfer they couldn't get it to work. 

If they can only go back 1mm on a 2mm over cylinder you are still up for the more expensive pistons.