Author Topic: YZ250-E  (Read 7746 times)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
YZ250-E
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:11:30 PM »
After finally getting a chance to run my 125e around the broadford track this weekend I am completely wrapped with the bike!! Does nearly everything it should and really does feel good underneath me despite tipping around 90kg :'( at the moment, so I'm gonna look for a 250e stable mate for her to give me options in bigger capacity classes. Although if there's a reason why i maybe shouldn't get a 250e then feel free to let me know, I don't know If they were a good or bad thing? A pretty much ready to go bike would be preferred and I well understand that's worth more than the average bucket o shit, happy to pay a fair price for a good bike. Could possibly swap for a good Yamaha 2t vinduro mount if that tickled ya fancy.

Regards, Brendan
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:27:33 PM by Rookie#1 »
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: YZ250-E
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »
If you're going to race Evo you'd be better off with a G or H, they are much improved but if you don't care about that then get the E.. I had one from brand new, they are a decent bike.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
If you're going to race Evo you'd be better off with a G or H, they are much improved but if you don't care about that then get the E.. I had one from brand new, they are a decent bike.

An E allows me to ride in pre78 with a few organisations here in Vic, im also happy enough to use an e in any evo class at a Viper day as im not all that likely to be in the place getters anyways. Just out for a bit of fun and a ride.
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:16:45 PM »
http://www.vmxunlimited.com/yamaha-yz250e-1978-model/

This has been on this site for a while

I assume it is still there
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »

An E allows me to ride in pre78 with a few organisations here in Vic, im also happy enough to use an e in any evo class at a Viper day as im not all that likely to be in the place getters anyways. Just out for a bit of fun and a ride.

Get a D , they are a bit heavier but have a less revy motor with the 5 speed as apposed to the E's six.Dont know where you will be riding a E in pre 78.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:24:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice in regards to weight and gear box's, have spoken to people involved with or Presidents of 2 of the major Vintage Mx hosts in Vic and all have advised that riding an E in pre78 is fine with them at a club level. I dont plan on ever doing nationals, or troubling the place getters at club events for that matter  :D :).

Cheers, Brendan
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:49:19 PM by Rookie#1 »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:31:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice in regards to weight and gear box's, have spoken to people involved with or Presidents of the 3 major Vintage Mx hosts in Vic and all have advised that riding an E in pre78 is fine with them at a club level. I dont plan on ever doing nationals, or troubling the place getters at club events for that matter  :D :).

Cheers, Brendan
I have to ask the question... What is the point of letting a 78 model bike in pre 78?  Nek Minut someone's going to want to ride their 78 CR250R in pre 78 too..

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice in regards to weight and gear box's, have spoken to people involved with or Presidents of the 3 major Vintage Mx hosts in Vic and all have advised that riding an E in pre78 is fine with them at a club level. I dont plan on ever doing nationals, or troubling the place getters at club events for that matter  :D :).

Cheers, Brendan
I have to ask the question... What is the point of letting a 78 model bike in pre 78?  Nek Minut someone's going to want to ride their 78 CR250R in pre 78 too..
that was going to be my post , take my fox cr250 or a Maico magnum.I'll believe it when I see it.Theres enough EVO racing going on without jumping into pre 78 as well.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »
Its a bit late for April fools Rookie  ::)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:32 PM »

Cheers, Brendan

And would that be the end of the world?? I dont know CR's well enough to know if there are major changes between the 2 years you've mentioned and if there is then i see your point in their regards, but if there isn't and there is a solid justification of them being a legitimate flow on then why not?? I really dont want this thread to be hijacked and become another load of eligibility questioning bullshit but i am getting a bit tired of hearing anything of the sort, such trivial, nit picking should be reserved for organisations who have dramatic over flows of competitors and struggle to get everyone out on the track enough times in a day to satisfy their members......i'm not aware of any VMX clubs dealing with this problem at the minute???

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 11:04:33 PM »
But Rookie a 78 YZ250 is way different to a 77, it isn't a so called flow on model. I'm not interested in turning this thread into an eligibility shitfight either..

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 11:22:49 PM »
But Rookie a 78 YZ250 is way different to a 77, it isn't a so called flow on model. I'm not interested in turning this thread into an eligibility shitfight either..

Ok Johnny, i guess i'll need to do some more homework. There must have been a lot more changes to the 250 as opposed to the 125 between the D and E models?? Regardless of what use i'll put it to i'm still on the lookout for the 250E all the same.

Offline Yamahaha

• B-Grade
  • Melbourne Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 01:02:15 AM »
A mate of mine has a really nice 250d for sale Brendan, its yellow like my 400 but in better condition. He has spent a bomb on it. It's on bike sales still I'm fairly sure. Genuine American bike he bought it off the same bloke I got my 400f off.

In regards to class eligibility if you race an E in pre 78 I might just rock up on my F to contest the championship viper class this year seeing as they have made that class the premier class. It may need the numbers anyhow :)
YZ 250 modern, YZ 125G, YZ 125E, IT 400D, IT 175G x 2, YZ 400F CR250re,  2012 yz450fse Service Honda CR500AF.   Viper #73

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 08:00:37 AM »
A mate of mine has a really nice 250d for sale Brendan, its yellow like my 400 but in better condition. He has spent a bomb on it. It's on bike sales still I'm fairly sure. Genuine American bike he bought it off the same bloke I got my 400f off.

In regards to class eligibility if you race an E in pre 78 I might just rock up on my F to contest the championship viper class this year seeing as they have made that class the premier class. It may need the numbers anyhow :)

That's fine with me Mark, just make sure you've got my coffee and biccies ready for me in the time between when you cross the line and when i come in  :D. I've seen your mates D but she's pretty pricey considering the current market place, does look pretty sweet though. I'f i go no good lookin for an e i might give him a bell and see how "firm" his price is.

Simo63

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 08:50:54 AM »
Here is a link to the bike Yamahaha is referring to:

http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/details/yamaha-yz250-1978-14335262?__Ns=p_PriceSort_Decimal|0||p_Make_String|0||p_Model_String|0&__Nne=15&__Qpb=1&__sid=13DC9E6B23AD&__N=1432 604 1430 1429 1626 1428 4294967267 4294967107

(He should advertise it as a 1977 model in the headline and not 1978, might get a few more lookers)

Looks to have had lots spent so would be a great basis for a excellent race bike.  Just needs suspension done and a PFR pipe and you're away.

Having one of these bikes myself, I can tell you they are THE Japanese bike to have in Pre 78 and mine is just awesome fun to ride.

I don't know the seller but if I were you I'd chase him up to see if you can negotiate a deal Rookie  ;D