Author Topic: Wet, Mud and Vintage Motocross  (Read 6200 times)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Wet, Mud and Vintage Motocross
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 08:25:47 PM »
there is quite a few nice bikes i wonder if #400 is a tm cyclone or ts400 done up thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 08:35:53 PM »

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 08:40:25 PM »

oldfart

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 08:03:16 AM »
 #72 would  be  Mick Jollys ex mount .   Rain coats & PVC leggings would of a must  ;D
 # 30 is that Dan on a pe 400 ???

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 11:50:43 AM »
Except for 2 events that looks identical to EVERY motocross I competed in throughout my youth in Invercargill. I hate mud and will never race in it again, mark me down now as a fair weather rider forever.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Scunge

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Not only did the kiwi men get hammered by the rain but the boys who live in Taupo and Auckland got snowed in and had an additional day added to the trip home.

Ahh, love that weather.... makes Victoria seem positively balmy! Oh bring on Monza!

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »
I just wrked out why there are n sidecars in NZ-they don't have a water truck to put out before the chairs so therefore they can't run them!!
Beware though as plans are afoot to make an attack on kiwi land with a wasp or two.

Offline d veda

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 06:08:19 AM »
I would love to see some wasps in nz . Were & when tell me more. You must be mad to jump those monsters  :o ;). This whole track was mud not one dry bit anywhere. I counted about 20 bikes towed back to the pits. Mud would have to be the biggest killer off vmx bikes. The wise ones left early .Great photos DJ as allways. Frostype 400 the #400 is tm motor ts frame

suzuki43

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 08:25:20 AM »
My word what a weekend!!
The story of my journey and the events of the Sunday will definitely go in my memoirs,heres a snapshot:
3.30pm Saturday Bike finished and assembled thanks to the skill of Mike Felton-cheers mate!
3.35pm Leave Pukekohe South Auckland eta Dannevirke 11pm
6.55pm Somewhere near Taupo.Receive $120 speeding ticket from constable no mates =107km per hour vs speed limit (90km/hr car with trailer).
9.30pm Arrive Havelock North deliver two bikes for spotted kiwi famous trademe bike seller
11pm Arrive Dannevirke aka Dannevegas, locate Team Macca,Team Taupo,Team captain Kirk, and Team Abdul at 'Kaspers ' a very classy establishment
11.01pm Kiss the ground
11.02pm Scull a pint of speights
11.02pm-1am Get drunk and have a lot of laughs with the troops and members of the local tribe,note to self-amazing how much dental work required in this town.
1.15am Go to sleep
Part 2 follows

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 08:26:23 AM »
thanks it looked pretty good  i like the first tm400 but id like any thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

suzuki43

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 08:38:27 AM »
Sunday October 4th Race Day
3.30am rain starts (and has not stopped as of Tuesday October 6th)-note to self buy silicon spray
9.30am Assemble at race track-lots of mud-shame the track looked O for awesome-(Gratutitous David Tua reference)
2.30pm-Great day mud plugging on the mighty RM 250D;it ran like a dream-thanks Danny W -engine tuner extraordinaire.
3.00pm-Leave track eta Taupo and Ira Does residence -3 hour journey. -hopefully talk of road closures ahead
4.00pm-Pull into the Albatross motel Napier (two hours south of Taupo)-all roads closed due to a metre high dump of snow-well booked motel, thanks Sword.
6.00pm-Watch grand final at Napier bar with Team Taupo and Team Abdul.Very restrained evening.
Monday 11.00am-Depart Napier destination Auckland via Gisborne (the long long way home)
11.00pm Arrive home after dodging a thousand downed trees and slips, along with compulsory food stops
Tuesday 10.30am Start preparing and counting down for round two-bring it on!
Cheers to all the crew for a great and funny old weekend,it was challenging,but still bloody good fun.
Over and out!

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »
Sounds like a great adventure-12hrs from Napier to Auckland via Gisborne is like a normal week end trip for us. Brisvagas to Proserpine 15hrs. Brisvagas to Adelaide, 24hrs one way. Still- it's all in fun eh!!

I do recall riding what we called 'mudocross' back in the Waikato during the early 70's and shit that was fun.
Speaking of those days-which we weren't, but now are-does anyone have 'photos of the sandpit at track Cambridge as that was my first look at the new motocross as it became known in '72 or '73 ish. 

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 03:29:57 PM »
We left early got through Napier early but Napier taupo road was closed. Decided to go via Gisbourne to tauranga . Thought it was funny not many cars catching up to us as we were towing a large trailer. turns out the road was closed behind us ??? :o. Luckily we have a 4WD and managed to get through . a bit spooky in places very steep and winding road that gisbourne road 7.5 hours insted of 4.5 to home.Bugger I missed the informal VMX convention in Napier :).
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 05:15:18 PM »
Todays drive up around Taihape and Waiouru
I saw TMBill driving past, he still had the bikes on-board,  ???doing it in the snow ???

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 05:28:21 PM »
hey DJ did the pom ride or was he making squillions with the tow truck in the snow>   lol
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina