Author Topic: rules for classic dirt track nats  (Read 7180 times)

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: rules for classic dirt track nats
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 08:40:47 pm »
[color=red]Hey Old Bloke #52[/color] about time you got home,did the Titles take it out of you. Got an order for three XL 250 motosports to your specs. Might retire on that ,oh sorry you almost have ! Cheers Ol Fart.  ;)

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 09:18:14 pm »
Hi Curly, Griffith has put a submission (last week) into MA to host the titles next year mid September (proir to AFL,NRL finals October is out Bathurst & Moto GP). Two day event Sat practice & 1 round racing & Sun 4 rounds racing that is the format that we sent to MA pending their approval. Hopefully being where we are located we may attract SA & VIC riders also . Spoke to Sam at MA two weeks ago no one else has put forward a submission, we should have confirmation in the next two months.
 Changing subjects re; Raymond Terrace  I can not understand why people whom own classic bikes would give up there ride to let a 16 or 17 year old ride it. This happened in the Pre 1975 125cc & 250cc classes as it must feel great at that young age to be able to beat 40 yrs older & plus riders . Why aren't this younger mens fathers riding these bikes. With young guns on these machines who have had no childhood dreams of owning one these older bikes, in which I or hopefully we all have will dis illusion our sport & spirit . I am sure there are enough modern classes out there for these young men to attain there merits & leave the old stuff to the aging gents with a passion in the sport & machinery.

colmoody

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 01:18:49 pm »
On your wave lenght Grasy on the subject of young blokes racing vintage bikes. Understand it is nothing personal but I've have said it before somewhere on the OZVMX site that if I wanted to race blokes a third of my age I'd go buy a modern and go and enter any number of open MX or Dirt Track meetings that are on around the country. Having said that I also reckon it's about hanging around with and telling lies to blokes of a similar vintage that I/we have something in common with.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 01:43:13 pm »
i dont agree
if there were more people entered in age groups they would be racing with younger people.we have a young guy who rides under no 99 he has riden older bikes longer than me so why cant he ride.he is also very fast on that old astro i think he came 3rd or 4th at the nats,yes he rides a modern as well.the only age races were split under 50 and over 50.i am never there to win just make up nos and ride my bikes.pre75 125 and pre 75 250 are the most competitive classes.
just my 2cw

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 07:47:22 pm »
Guys if you dont start to have some younger guys ride these bikes what future is there for the classic racing.
Just have a look at the entries for the nats.
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Curly3

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 08:20:10 pm »
As someone who hasn't dropped the clutch in anger for a long time I think I have to agree with Col & Grasy.
When I'm ready to go next year I'd like to think that Ill be sharing the track with fellow Gerry's who have the same life commitments and self preservation concerns as me.
I have nothing against younger guy's being involved at all but to be honest the young bull verses old bull worries me a bit. We're not riding for sheep stations anymore and its been a long time since I left my brains in the toolbox before going to war.
Having said all that I also understand that sometimes we need the numbers for certain events to go ahead so it just has to be.

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 09:45:37 pm »
I must say racing against those young fella's at the nats did put me off the sport a bit! I started classic racing so I could race against guys with responsibilities and respect for the machines they have put so much work into, I'd race moderns if I had an additude like 'win at any cost' and 'ride it like you stole it'.
 On the flip side I couldn't think of anything better then competing at the same meeting and sharing my bike with a kin. There just needs to be a spot for them like say 2 classes;
- All powers, all bikes up to 1978. Under 30yrs age group.
- All powers, all bikes 1978 to 1990. Under 30yrs age group. 
83 KX500, 83 RM250D, Can Am MX2.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 10:04:31 pm »
evey club day at nepean we race against a young guy on a astro(ollie)no.99 he was at the nats as well.its good that they get into our sport,because when we go who will be ther then. no 16 was fast and yes they were racing for the prestige of being australian champ.but if they were not there some one else would have been riding the same, the opertunity of being australian champion.
all classes had there tear away riders how about the qld a grade mxer on the matchless and jawa mat.he won most things he entered.young guys on sliders they were quick as well .strider told me it was his first ride on a 2 valve and also on a dirtrack track.he is a speedway and long track rider.
without new blood in the sport it will die a slow death.

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 10:05:47 pm »
Hi Gents, I was not trying to deter the younger riders from riding vintage or classic events, but why are the fathers of these fellows not on these bikes themselves. If MA dropped the one bike one class rule then both sons,daughters & fathers or mothers could have a ride in their respective age divisions.  
Only a personal view if we had a 16 yr to Under 30 yr classes, followed by the age groups where permisable.I would rather bang bars with someone 10 years younger or older whom has a mortage to pay rather then someone a third of my age,whom from what is saw at the Ranch could not understand what a yellow flag waved in front of them ment. There was 10 over 30yrs of age riders in the Pre 1975 125cc class & 2 under 20 yrs old, in the Pre 1975 250cc class there was 13 over 30yrs old in the class & 3 under 20yrs old there was enough older riders in either event to constitute an over 30yrs & Under 49yrs  Aussie Title. Just my opinion hope others have the same.

colmoody

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 08:57:08 pm »
Kind of on the same topic. Has anyone read Peter Drakeford's columm in the latest VMX. Whilst I had not one bit of input in getting the OZVMX movement up and running (big cheers to those that were involved) I would hazard a guess that one of the main aims of the movement was to get old blokes and old bikes out of the shed and back where they belong. Giving my bike to any number of young blokes to ride (whom would no doubt be a lot quicker than me) is not in the spirit of the movement I reckon and just would'nt do it for me(of course there are some exeptions). Having said that if a spot can be found in the sport for the younger generation that has no downside for the oldfarts and infact encourages there participation I'm all for it.

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 07:47:10 pm »
Again,if we changed the pre-75 all powers 4-stroke class to simply pre-75 all powers we would have every pre 75 rider in that race,then we would get our age divisions.Who wants to start a petition?