Author Topic: pipe  (Read 6299 times)

firko

Re: pipe
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 10:27:21 am »
Lozza..As ugly and old school inefficient as the Aaen pipe is, it's still a part of the development history of our sport so it deserves to avoid the 'happy scrappy' for that reason alone. As we've discussed before, the vintage movement isn't in place for the bikes to become rolling test beds for new age technology, turning them into something they were never intended to be. VMX is in place to celebrate various eras in our sports history by utilising the given parameters of the period using some modern tech ideas, mainly to maintain reliability. I have no problems with tricking a bike to the nth degree so long as the 'improvements' made to the bike are representative of the period in question. For that reason I'll use my Aaen pipe on my little Maico Metisse cheapo project because it represents what the hot rod motocross guys were using at the time.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 12:46:57 pm »
Don't forget to fit plastic levers, nylon sprockets and your anti-dive front end then......
Unfortunately everyone has a different idea on what 'some' is :D
Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 12:58:42 pm »
Unfortunately everyone has a different idea on what 'some' is
My point Loz was that although a thing is irrelevent or just plain wrong to modern eyes, at the time those parts were the result of somebody looking to find a new way of doing something and shouldn't be dismissed or sent to the scrap as you alluded to simply because they don't conform to our current way of thinking. All of those things you mention were good attempts at something different and shouldn't be dismissed simply because the idea failed.  ;)
Unfortunately everyone has a different idea on what 'some' is
some to me is something that can't be seen....ignition, porting, engine internals, fork internals, that sort of thing.. Maybes are shocks, pipes and other parts, as long as they look period. I've been guilty myself in the past with fat pipes on my DT1, fluro pink plastic, and modern rims on old bikes but the older I get, the more I think we need to limit modern development on old bikes. If we don't enforce it we'll end up like classic road racing where some disgraceful stuff has passed muster for so long that a lot of period integrity is lost. ::)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:08:29 pm by firko »

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 01:11:07 pm »
.........I have plastic levers, a no dive preston petty front end ( soon to go to Bahnsy ) and  all that HI TECH  stuff from the 70's,and the reason I kept it was, as Firko said, its a part of motorcycle history and something that we'll never see again !

Roger