Author Topic: Plating Kit  (Read 1168 times)

Kiwi

Plating Kit
« on: September 15, 2009, 12:48:00 pm »
I want to plate my own nuts and bolts - but can't decide what size kit to get.

Would nickel cobalt be the way to go ??

If there are any home platers out there, what do you recommend ?

Would a 4 litre kit be enough - i have at least 4 bikes on the go atm, and will be doing more in the future.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Plating Kit
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:11:27 pm »
im not sure what bikes you have but all nickel fasteners will look a bit too blingy/in your face/overdone on a japanese dirt bike and doesnt look right. I would recommend the zinc plating kit. The choice is yours though.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:29:56 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:15:30 pm »
Kiwi , this topic is on here some where  ;) do a search
If you want more imfo send me a Pm and I'll run you thru what you need .

Offline Adam

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 07:26:58 pm »
I just bought a Janes Kit for both Zinc and Nickel.  Nickel was probably a waste of time and I should have just stuck with Zinc only. Nickel is also a bit fiddlier as you have to also buy a crock pot so you can heat the Nickel bath to 50 -60 degrees when plating.  Zinc is really all you need for vintage dirtbikes and the Zinc parts comes up pretty shiny depending on how much brightener you tip into your bath. 

I'd definitely recommend getting a plating kit especially if you have a few bikes to do. I've managed to do a much better job than I've ever got back from an electroplater and you don't get stuffed around for weeks, waiting on a handful of bolts. A 4 litre kit is plenty.