Author Topic: Gaston Rahier  (Read 36020 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Gaston Rahier
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2009, 07:27:21 pm »
Firko i was bidding on an alloy Suzuki swingarm on ebay last year that i was sure was a '76/'77 works arm so i bid pretty high and thought i would win it but was outbid. I rang the owner to find out a bit more and was told i was outbid by Graeme Boyd and it was definately a works swingarm! It was in a Sydney wreckers.

firko

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2009, 11:04:37 am »
Iwouldn't doubt that John,you've got to have deep pockets if you want the same thing as Graeme Boyd does.The sad thing is that everything he buys disappears into his personal stash pit, never to be seen again. A number of interesting bikes have gone from the local scene to Boydys warehouse.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2009, 12:35:51 pm »
Not 100% sure but just before I left Victoria I thought John Selva had Michel Coombe's "works", "semi works'" 125 montesa. Would be intersted to know where it ended up. The meeting at Wallan which Malcolm Fraser attended was either 1973 or 74. He was matey with Bert Flood at the time and Gary had returned home from England I think and was riding at the meeting. he had his chauffer driven white LTD parked in the pits. I was riding sub junior back then with Anton Alers, Ron Dinsdale, Grant Cramer and co and couldn't understand what the fuss was all about with this big bloke in the pits and getting shooed away from leaning on the LTD in my muddy motocrosss gear. Malcolm's grandson is a fairly elite swimmer and he is often at the National Title meetings. Looks a little frail nowadays but very similar to what I remebered as when I was about 15/16.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2009, 02:17:27 pm »
Shit Firko talk about 6 degrees of seperation, is their no one you know!.
I recall gaston at Tivoli, must have been 75 or 76. I spoke a little to him after the races and watched him eat an orange- not peel it and pull it apart like we do, just ate it like an apple-biting bits out and chewing away- I tried it but I'm still not as quick as he was.
RIP Gasson Gaston 

firko

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2009, 02:28:49 pm »
Shit Firko talk about 6 degrees of seperation, is their no one you know
I've been around a bit longer than most of you I guess.......... ;D

Offline maicoman18

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2009, 06:43:47 pm »
For your viewing pleasure, (I hope) Mr Rahier at Amaroo. Be patient, first 30 seconds is crap. Haven't mastered the gizmos yet to cut out the unwanted bits.
Overall quallity is poor, sorry about that chief.

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa255/maicoman18/?action=view&current=RahieratAmaroo.flv

Ed

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2009, 08:48:41 pm »
Thanks Maicoman. Brings back great memories.

DR

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2009, 01:55:43 pm »
yup thanks maicoman, that's a great clip and very rare nowdays with little else on offer when searching 8)

Offline maicoman18

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2009, 07:13:43 pm »
Part two will be posted soon, I hope!!!

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
King Suzi Moto
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2009, 09:15:19 pm »
King Suzi Moto also came to Christchurch, NZ,  also back in about 75.  I was all of about 10. 
Fortunately  I was receiving my first bike from Dad,  (Don McNeill).  A TM75, and hence the first Christchurch MX Juniors class was born. Had like about 8 riders around this time.

I guess Tommy Mcleary (Tommy's Suzuki in Manchester St,  then Moorhouse Ave)  brought him in,  and/or Rod Coleman)/  Remember receiving some frizzy Suzuki racing jersey at the time as  a sort of momento.  Luckily,  at that young age I was sponsored by Tommy's.

It was a big deal for Christchurch to have such an international visiting,  and from memory,  he did not dissapoint.  No photos yet,  will keep looking.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2009, 09:47:49 pm »
Good memories, BJJ. Tommy McCleary had a reunion party a couple of weeks back and Stu Avant, Mike Sinclair and Warren Willing went over : quite a throng assembled for the occasion but unfortunately Tommy had a heart problem and couldn't attend the party...probably took a look at the guest list and started to feel faint ! He is a good guy and used to help visiting racers to Christchurch regardless of nationality or bike brand. Hopefully he is fully fit again now.
Also a photo of your dad popped up on a forum a few months back but I can't recall if it was here or on the CMA website.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:22:01 am by GD66 »
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2009, 10:23:35 pm »
Yeah,  still not sure who brought out GR to New Zealand.

Tommy, October, 1959, Blenheim, NZ, Riding Don McNeill's 1959 AJS 350

Tommy and Kevin McCleary

Offline maicoman18

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2009, 05:54:40 pm »

DR

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2009, 08:47:11 pm »
thanks again maicoman great stuff, who is number 'B' on the 125 Suzuki in the second vid at 1:43? am I missing the obvious??
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:50:54 pm by Doc »

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2009, 09:11:57 pm »
Yeah,  still not sure who brought out GR to New Zealand.

Pretty sure Gaston was brought out to NZ and Australia by the Suzuki factory itself, BJJ, as he was accompanied by Masanori "Jimmy" Ozaki, who was a domestic Suzuki-sponsored rider. Certainly Colemans were involved as well, so no doubt Tommy looked after the South Island leg. BTW I have sent the two pics to Stu Avant, who was stoked ! Regards GD.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....