Author Topic: Gaston Rahier  (Read 36017 times)

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Gaston Rahier
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 06:13:38 pm »
KB,

I see,in you first report the say JN stood up a lot more than everybody else,they must not have realized he was a Desert racer and not a regular Motocrosser,

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 06:27:47 pm »
Any one have a photo of gastons 125??
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

MX125B

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 07:47:51 pm »
i  saw Gaston at Amaroo the first time when he came out and beat everyone on his 125, Vic Allan was there as well, he got into punch up with some one,
he king hit Ivan Miller? He got cut off in the esses and got up swinging.
A couple of years later he got smoked, like everybody else by the up and coming Neil Hudson on the Maico at Jilliby Park

Offline Tim37

• C-Grade
  • Its an investment ...had to buy it !
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 07:48:04 pm »
I saw Raheir ride in the first 125 gp at Hawkstone part 1976 he was in a class of his own leaving Marty Smith  miles behind just behind Marty were a gaggle of czs and tgms I think Babaroski and Velky ?they out jumped everyone and could have close to Rahier if they had the power of the Jap works bikes !They rode the wheels off those zeds .....
45 minutes flat out at Hawkstone was tough on a 125 remember getting into the pits watching teams and poor priviteers doing a quick top end rebuild between motos .   
Saw Rahier on a works 125 Gilera in the early eighties ...that was the quickest 125 I  ever saw , pity Gaston was injured and dropped back in both motos but while he was on -it was devisating for everyone else

DR

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 02:36:36 pm »
Bazza, Rahier's bikes never looked that spectacular. It was this era that Suzuki really vamped up the production bikes and whilst the RA125's may have been super trick the production bikes really did look like the real deal. Supposedly one of Gaston's '76 RA125's pictured below but I don't remember RA's haviing sidestands ;) if not for the forks and swingarm 1 could easily mistake it for a '76 RM125A. (I don't imagine Gastons bikes ever had yellow frames but I've been wrong on many occassions ;))

'77 didn't appear a great deal different..

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:38:26 pm by Doc »

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 04:12:33 pm »
I think this may have been taken at Wallen  :-\

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 04:22:04 pm »
Def Wallan Kev . nov 75 .

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 04:27:40 pm »
One more.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 04:29:25 pm »
I used to have that T&T also , maybe still have -somewhere around here.

TT

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 04:30:19 pm »
Here's how I like to remember the little tough man.  ;D

And when he got back on his bike with a broken collarbone and 3 broken ribs in the Dakar in the 80's.
He finished and I reckon it was close to 2 weeks that he still had to ride for.  :o

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 04:39:54 pm »
Bazza, Rahier's bikes never looked that spectacular. It was this era that Suzuki really vamped up the production bikes and whilst the RA125's may have been super trick the production bikes really did look like the real deal. Supposedly one of Gaston's '76 RA125's pictured below but I don't remember RA's haviing sidestands ;) if not for the forks and swingarm 1 could easily mistake it for a '76 RM125A. (I don't imagine Gastons bikes ever had yellow frames but I've been wrong on many occassions ;))

'77 didn't appear a great deal different..

I dont think your wrong this time,"te'll em there dreamin"

firko

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 05:18:34 pm »
I recieved this email from a friend, Paul Neilson aluding to Gaston Rahiers bike..........
After Rahier was here I ended up owning one of his 125s. I think it must have been the first time he was here when he raced at Amaroo with Vic Allen ( awsome rider on an absolute rocket ) and ran a school at Jilliby. The bike I owned was the one he rode with the RM100 seat. Funny thing was that it also had RM100 on the cases but from memory had an odd number of cylinder fins - different to either RM100 or RM125. It had a beautiful box section aluminium swingarm when the production bikes still had the pressed steel ones and also had titanium fasteners everywhere. When I got the bike Frank Pons put it on methanol and fitted Fox Airshocks before I rode it and it was an absolute missile - quicker than any 250 I lined up against and faster than most open bikes. I only raced it a few times, crashed alot like I normally did back then, but I do remember winning the 125 class at an Amaroo Mister Motocross round. ( Al least I think I remember -I do see the trophy now and again ) I think they called it the Eldorado Spectacular. I can remember having a coming together with Murray Wicks and passing Stephen Gall going into the big berm at the end of the straight. ( Probably the high light of my racing life.) That little Suzuki was unbelievably fast. I have a couple of photographs of the bike and I'll see if I can find them.  I ended up selling it to a guy called Geoff Sparrow who sold it on to another guy that used it for a trail bike. I've been trying to track it down ever since I got involved in VMX with no success. Graham Boyd rang me once and asked lots of questions about the bike and later claimed that he had come across bits and pieces of the bike including the swingarm. But I'm not really sure.       best regards, Paul

The swingarm mentioned has a bit of a story. I aquired it amidst a pile of Maico stuff when I bought old Karl Kremers Maico stash a few years ago. I believe he'd aquired the swingarm from Anthony Gunter. I differ from Pauls description in that I believe the swingarm was titanium. I kept it for a few years, waiting to find a bike to use it on but eventually Graeme Boyd found out that I had it and wanted it by hook or by crook. At the same time HEAVEN founder Mark Cotterill showed some interest in it as well for his very trick RM125B (VMX#15 page 57). I told both of them that I'd swap it for a set of Fox Airshox and quick as a flash Mark had found a set and the deal was done. Poor old Boydy wasn't impressed as he was certain he'd get it, after all how could I refuse the great Boydy! He hasn't spoken to me since, much to my eternal distress :'(.

Graeme's not a man to be spurned when he wants something though, so it wasn't long before had made an offer to Mark for the whole RM and the deal was done and Graeme Boyd finally had his swingarm. I'm sure the bike is packed away in a box along with the rest of Boyds huge collection, never to be seen again by us mere mortals. More's the shame, the bike is the prettiest and trickest RM I've seen to date.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 06:26:23 pm »
Gee I opened a can of worms didn't I!

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 07:11:58 pm »
Doc that yellow frame bike appears to be a production bike with factory suspension. The works 125's had a different shaped tank(more like a 250), different subframe/seat similar to a N/T model as well as different sidecovers, etc. I'm sure they never had yellow frames either.

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 07:23:45 pm »
And they never had SIDE STANDS,