Author Topic: Phil Thew Moto  (Read 4955 times)

PTM

Phil Thew Moto
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:17:14 pm »
Hi All,

I googled my fathers name the other day and got a numder of hits on this site so I joined th say thanks to the guys who had plenty of nice things to say about my father and the people who worked and rode for him in the 70's & 80"s.

For those of you who are a bit nostalgic I have attached some of the old stickers he used to give away.
If anyone is interseted I am going to start going through some of the hundreds of old mx photo's he took in the days and post some of them here.

Thats is I can figure out how to attach an imiage.

Regards Peter Thew
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:19:18 pm by PTM »

DR

Re: Phil Thew Moto
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 02:54:42 pm »
G'day PTM, ironically I still have the 2 RM's I purchased (the only new bikes I've ever owned!) from your father's shop back when. I only lived a stones throw from Reece Hampson's Northside Suzuki but they were never able to match the deals from PTM and they never had a gun racer like Stu McLachlin ;) my only disappointment..

neither bike came with a PTM sticker :(  I had to resort to the item below which never really appealed to me :P :-\

This guy helped sell me on the RM's too..though he probably never realized it, he was a bit of a legend to some..such as me :P ;D
RIP Stuart McLachlin
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 03:07:21 pm by Doc »

78rm80c

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 04:53:17 pm »
wow doc that is a sweet RM80c 8)

DR

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:22:37 pm »
it's a B but thanks ;) I only fired it up yesterday and filled the room with the blue plume ;D

this picture has been splashed around plenty but this is the same bike on the day it came to live with me 8)

sorry for the thread hijack :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:28:46 pm by Doc »

78rm80c

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 05:42:26 pm »
ah b-c i was 1 off lol

still a beautiful bike none the less ;)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:09:11 pm »
It's good to hear from you Peter. I used to buy all the latest trick stuff from Phil back when Noel Harker was working there and Stewie, Peter Boyle, Grant McCrae and Noel were the riders. Phil had the best riders in the day and the trickest bikes.

Offline PERM250

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:17:37 pm »
hi maico 31 did  you know noal harker many years ago as a boy 1975 i had a mate who worked at annand & thompson yamaha at buranda who send me down to phill thews for some phill spew stickers  when i walked in and asked for some phill spew sticker noel was there and he smiled and said to phill this kid wants some phill spew sticker . old phill got up and said what did i want. i said that the boys and a& t sent me down he laughed .i think both stores had a good rivaliy. but that  harker  he could do some great wheel stands he would go to get lunchs on a large road bike with a box on the carry bag and call at a& t  stir them up then they would egg him on to pull a wheel stand so he would leave go down logan road come back under the bridge and go passed on the back wheel all the way down to deason st       unreal to see for a 15 year kid.arr the good old days.ed    HEY PETER I POSTED THIS SOME TIME AGO ON THE FORUM . i guess i was a sticker kind of a kid.iused to have you dads sticker on my helmet and when he used to be a wolfdean watch the racing and he used to stand at the last corner before the straight he alway see my helmet with the sticker on it and smile.

PTM

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 10:25:22 am »
Hi Doc,

Nice job on the resteration of the RM's. I have often thought about trying to find an old RM myself to referbish.

regards Peter

DR

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 08:11:45 pm »
Thanks Peter, from your comments about a resto am I to assume you're not a fanatical bike nutter some like some people I know? ::) Also if I may ask a question excusing my ignorance yet again, is your father still alive? Just curious is all and would like to see some of the pics when you get a chance ;)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 08:21:59 pm »
Doc, sadly Phil passed away while spectating at the Masters Games motocross at Reedy Creek about 3 or 4 years ago.

DR

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 08:27:02 pm »
oh okay, very sorry to hear that. My dad passed on about much the same time but never ever forgotten that's for sure ;)   

211kawasaki

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 10:37:37 am »
Hi Peter
Dave Tanner here, was with your Dad the night he passed away - with the smell of race gas in his nostrils. He was with Bill Holm, and pitted with us at the Masters Games. Right next to him when he passed was my RH250L - the RH250L he once owned and the ex Randy Jones bike from 74.

Randy and I caught up some time ago at Coffs and he took the bike for a blast, was a good day.

Nice to see you join the "family"

Regards
Dave

PTM

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 04:41:42 pm »
Hi Dave,

I have some old blown up photo's of either Randy Jones or Ross Kingston racing that dad must have had on the walls of the shop at some stage, I don't remember who was who, one was no. 54 and one was no.55. I has showing my father and brother in law on the weekend, the bikes and gear shure have come a long way since those days.

Regards
Peter

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 05:53:51 pm »
Gidday Peter, I worked with Stu McLachlan at Mayfairs and when he transfered to your dads shop, we put him in a big boxed and sent him over with the spare parts delivery!!
He was the most naturally talented rider that I have ever met and when on his own was very level headed.
I still have a set of bars he used when at Phils when Suzuki brought over an RH500 that Gunter rode down south and Stu rode up here. When we packed it up to go home we foregot to put the works bars in so I kept them all these years.
I have often thought of putting them on a stand as a memorial trophy as some sort .
Then I'd have to work out who to give it to-any suggestion??
Cheers mate-great to hear from you, Fletch.

211kawasaki

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 09:02:29 pm »
Peter
dont ever part with the photos but if there was ever a scan that you wanted to do......... I think Randy was #55
dt