Author Topic: World Champions  (Read 5300 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
World Champions
« on: September 05, 2009, 10:16:36 am »
Headland and Waters our newest World Champions
Murray Bridge duo Mick Headland and Paul Waters claimed victory in the first ever FIM Track Racing Sidecar 1000cc World Championship held in La Réole, France last Saturday, 22 August 2009.
The 1000cc Championship was previously contested as the FIM Track Racing Sidecar Gold Trophy, and was only granted official Championship status by the FIM in 2009.
Motorcycling Australia (MA) supported seven teams that headed over to France for the World Championship event, and the results certainly vindicated MA’s desire to assist these riders in their quest to reach the pinnacle of their discipline.
The Queensland pairing of Gary Moon and Josh Sinnott finished second to make it an Aussie double atop the podium, while Russel Mitchell and Tina Karan finished in fourth place.
Headland returned home to Australia yesterday and is still coming to grips with the fact that he is now a World Champion, two years after he and Waters won the Gold Trophy title in Wayville, South Australia.

“It’s a pretty surreal feeling, it took a little while to sink in,” Headland said.

“Winning the Gold Trophy always felt like we were the best at that time, but to have the World title makes it seem legitimate now.

“We thought we had a good chance, but to actually pull it off is just unbelievable.

The competition at La Réole was extremely fierce and the title came right down to the wire, with Headland and Waters edging out Moon and Sinnott - as well as Great Britain’s Rob Wilson and Terry Saunters - in the final heat of the day to claim the Championship.

“It was really fast out there and you only needed to drop one race that day and it was all over, so it was intense and great racing,” Headland said.

Headland admits that competing on an unfamiliar grass track and in swelteringly hot conditions made the victory all the sweeter for him and his passenger Waters.

“The temperature was around 37 degrees and it was probably the hardest track Paul and I have ever raced...a lot different to what we’re used to in Australia, but certainly still race-able,” Headland said.

Being over in France as part of an Australian team was something Headland also cherished dearly, and was particularly thankful to the local hospitality they were given during their visit.

“It was absolutely fantastic... all the Aussie riders know each other and get on really well together, and the French people were just so friendly to us despite not speaking English so well.

“They were so welcoming, the track was fantastic and the whole town turned out to watch – the whole experience couldn’t have been better.

“I just really want to thank Paul [Waters], my passenger, Phil, Lisa, all our sponsors and our fan club of course – they are the people that keep us going.”

Now back home in Australia, Headland is not wasting any time and seems determined to continue his good form into the Australian Speedway season which commences in the coming months.

“We’ve got Murray Bridge starting up this year, our home track, which is fantastic after a couple of years break,” Headland continued.

“But we’re going to have a good shot at the State titles again this year, and hopefully we can bring home the Australian title – they’re the two big ones we’re keen to try and win this year.”
Yeps I know its not MX-still fantastic news  ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: World Champions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 08:48:41 pm »
Any pics Alli??

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:19:30 pm »
Had a guy in at work today that was at the Title race last week and saw those boys win.'Tis a very small world it seems.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 03:14:11 pm »
These BOys won the GOld cup 2 years back, after moon blew the tyre in the prelims,  Good comback for htese blokes as it also proves that they were the best back then as well not just handed to them.

Go you south Aussie.  The HUB of 3 wheeled stuff ...........
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:41:55 pm »
"congratulations SA's own Mick & Jesse Headland on winning the 2010 FIM World 1000cc Track Sidecar Championships in England. Apparently the meeting was abandoned after the 3rd round of heats in atrocious conditions. The lads were UNBEATEN on 9 points. WELL DONE champs and we can't wait to see you race at Gillman this season;) "
"Gillman Speedway has Officially been given the 2011, FIM World Sidecar Track Racing Championship. It is a great honour to be able to get this event, to pay back the many loyal workers and supporters of Gillman Speedway and previously North Arm Speedway. "
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:22:04 am »
and again
Aussies go 1-2-3 at 2011 FIM Track Racing Sidecar 1000cc World Championship in Murray Bridge
Darrin Treloar and Jesse Headland are the 2011 FIM Track Racing Sidecar 1000cc World Champions after they held off the advances fellow Aussies of Glenn O'Brien and Aaron Maynard and Grant Bond and Simon Cox to claim the crown in front of a bumper crowd at Murray Bridge Speedway.

A five-time Australian Champion and 2008 World Champion Treloar added another significant piece of silverware to his bulging trophy cabinet, while Headland continued his amazing family tradition in the premier Speedway Sidecar event, winning back-to-back World titles as a passenger.

A delighted Treloar said winning a World title on Australian soil was the ultimate feeling. You can't get any better than that – It feels unreal," Treloar said.

"We've done it here in Australia in front of Jesse's home town and although it isn't my hometown I ride here every week and it feels like a hometown."

An equally ecstatic Headland said it was a dream come true to win in Murray Bridge.

"You really can't ask for anything more than that," Headland said. "It was a great night, with a top-class field and a great crowd."

Headland was called upon by Treloar to serve as his passenger in the absence of regular partner Justin Plaisted, with the pair striking an immediate partnership.

"We didn't have much time and we had to gel straight away," Treloar said.

"Jesse's never ridden for me so he had to leave how I ride and we only had one meeting prior to tonight to work it out.

"But we did what we had to do and it all came good."

Taking the lead into the first turn of the final, Treloar and Headland never looked back as they held off the determined advances of Australian Champions O'Brien/Maynard, with veteran duo Bond/Cox rounding out the podium finishers and reserve pairing Byren and Deven Gates in fourth.

In a highly-entertaining night of racing Treloar/Headland set the early pace, winning their opening three heats as favourites Mick Headland and Paul Waters where made to earn their points.

O'Brien/Maynard and Chris Pascoe and Simon Cohrs began to assert their dominance in the later heats, with the Pascoe/Cohrs pairing winning four of five heats to top score with 14 points, one clear of O'Brien/Maynard.

A late blip could not stop Treloar/Hedland from reaching 12 points, along with Headland/Waters, with Grant Bond/Simon Cox, Matt Tyrrell/Craig Fordham and reserves Byren and Deven Gates also reaching the Semi Finals with 11 points.

The brothers were the fairy tale story of the event, reaching the final thanks to a second place behind Treloar/Headland in their Semi Final.

O'Brien/Maynard won their Semi Final ahead of Bond/Cox, who held off Headland/Waters to book their place in the final.
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 12:33:06 pm »
What that story didnt tell you was the Young Pascoe outfit smashed the field all night and not only kept them entertained with the swinger ( cohrs) entertaining the crowd all night with his antics, but were the highest point scorers in the Heats ( if this was run as it has been for the last few year - accumilated points - these guys would have been crowned world champs for sure)  anyway in the semi finals and out front one of them kicked the fuel pump/ tap and the bike slowed down to rear of feild until they realised got back to 3rd and almost took second, one more corner and they would have had the spot, but alas only the top 2 from each semi went into the final 4 Death match.

I felt really guttered for the boys as did the whole crowd, they came and give it everything and some of the best riding you would see, even the rider  ( pascoe) lays down and checks the front Axle nuts.  These two are a real fresh air to the sport and should have had this no question, unfortunatly that one little issue and to come home with nothing, other than the respect of the crowd and dare is say it a lot of people who would pay to see those 2 race again. 

All the world outfits are up at mildura on Wednesday night for a run (international cup ? ) so if your in driving distance go check Pascoe and cohrs out.  Worth the drive im telling you.  Will post photos when i can find some.

other cool run was the first reserves Gates boys, only came in at the secong heat stage and pulled past all the others to point score into the semis then i reckon came second  in the final, not bad for 2 blokes who where only sitting on the bikes in the pits for a ride if there was a crash out.......   imagine if they had won, would be a fairytale and a movie deal  ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:41:18 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

valleyam

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 07:02:05 pm »
Good write up freaky, i certainly enjoyed myself. Thought the racing was spot on. Think I might go and watch the classic meeting this Saturday as well. Are you riding in that?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:41:28 pm »
YEah ill be there,  im on my solo Jawa 500, the Watter Z1 post classic outfit and maybe Atherton JAp Outfit if he goes.  But Regardless on the Solo 2 valve.  I run marshy #52 on my back so look me up say, or come be my pit bitch :O)
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

valleyam

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 09:45:45 pm »
No Worries I should be there, I'll come and say g'day
cheers Andy

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 11:45:03 pm »
What pit bitch doesnt appeal   :D :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:18:08 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 11:28:36 am »
He he he  :D i'd pit bitch for ya Freaky but we are going to Morgan, but all the best on your quest, if they had a MR50 SOLO I Would be on in a flash  ;D     :-\  wich way do ya go round again ???

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »
BOth.... solo go one way outfits the other
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

valleyam

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 08:33:42 pm »
What pit bitch doesnt appeal   :D :D
I'm shy

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 12:08:00 pm »
dont be shy all you need is an appron and a feather duster  :o