Author Topic: roll off film system advise please  (Read 1783 times)

lms6201

roll off film system advise please
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:32:22 pm »
 i,m looking at getting the pro grip system , has anyone used them or any other system , any recomendations ?  all commments needed 

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: roll off film system advise please
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:06:17 pm »
The Progrip rolloffs work as good as the rest. As a first time user, try and overcome the urge to pull though a "new" strip EVERY time a bit of mud/dirt gets on the film. All you need to do is move the offending blob a few millimetres away from the focal point of your eyes (usually just requires a 1/4 or 1/2 pull on the string). Do it the other way and not only will you look busier than a one armed trombone player, you'll also empty the film in no time flat.

Don't forget to buy plenty of spare rolls and PRACTICE loading the film correctly. ;)
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:59:08 pm »
I have 2 sets of googles i use oakley if its dust and i clean and reuse used tear off - dry rides
IF its muddy i use a pair of scott googles with the yellow pull string and it works a treat moving you on to new space, the roll is a 100 m i think, after a muddy meet, i always wash my google down and i take the roll out wash it and re rool it for next time, they dont seem to scratch up like tear offs, and if you resist the urge to wipe them and just pull through the mud blobs seem to fall off as they get pulled in, and sit in the exit roll till you unpack it and clean the roll in the sink, dry out and ready to go again :O)

I dont like the roll on in dry , it might be the shape of the googles but i dont like them as much as the oaklys in the dry, plus the scott doenst have the same nose peice as the OAks do and my nose hurts on dry runs when it get smashed by grit and pevbbles, yes im a mid packer !!!!
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:29:53 pm »
1:Making sure the roll off film is snug in its runway/track across the lens (scotts system).
2:Don't get anything between the roll off film and goggle lens.
3:Be gentle with them fiddly bits   ;)   ;D
4:If wearing contact lens's, watch for high speed wind as this can move them right out of ya eye socket  :o
cheers and viewing while riding  8)

Best is in the West !!

TT

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 07:51:13 am »
I've only used them once and it was 20 years ago................  ::)
But I found that if you look backwards or even sideways when going quickly, the film caught the wind and got pulled right out. So you then had miles of this clear film hanging from your head.  :D
I never tried them again, but maybe they have improved in recent years?

firko

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 09:03:16 am »
But I found that if you look backwards or even sideways when going quickly, the film caught the wind and got pulled right out
Thank f*^k I'm not the only one Tony. I had the exact same thing happen to me and I copped such a ribbing from my so called mates I never used them again. I figured roll offs were one of those 80s gizmos that were going to change our lives forever....but didn't. I survived the next 20 years without them.

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 09:46:05 am »

But I found that if you look backwards or even sideways when going quickly, the film caught the wind and got pulled right out. So you then had miles of this clear film hanging from your head.  :D
The go is to buy the optional strip that goes along the top edge of the goggle lense and there is a small (few mm's) gap that the strip runs under. This tends to prevent the film from stripping. There are also designated lenses that help prevent the lense "sticking" to the film.
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 10:45:09 am »

The go is to buy the optional strip that goes along the top edge of the goggle lense and there is a small (few mm's) gap that the strip runs under. This tends to prevent the film from stripping. There are also designated lenses that help prevent the lense "sticking" to the film.

yep that's why we buy Scott's with the runway track stripe across the goggle lens-of course it took time and money  ::)   ;D
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 12:28:15 pm »
Mines always had the strips on it, i though thats how they came ?

and im always looking to the side when i get passed :O0,  heheheh.... and have never had a streamer, cant see how that happens but maybe without thhe strips it could.

Anyway they are the go, in the wet, tear off's just cant complete with the rolls, so much easier and in a 20 min moto mid pack you need plenty off cleans.

Also i suspect tear off will be banned at some point any way, when we do property rides (pony express) we ban all tear off. ( cows for some reason like to eat them - and we dont want to loose acess to the land cause some we killed another cow.

On race days now we also have a point in the ridder breifing that says if you use tear off you will be required to collect off the track as many as you took off during the day.  Seems to have cut down the amount the volumteers had to clean up after the events and guys are pity stingy now using them sparingly, the threat was to sign in there tear offs and then to bring back the same used amount at the end of the meet to be signed out.  threat worked  i hardly see any floating around the pits or the land last 3 ride days.

I think the roll on's are not only better, cheaper in the long run, and at some point becuase we are in the country and in the town, its more enviromental resposible for us to look as clean and as freindly as possible.   

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:30:15 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

lms6201

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 07:41:46 pm »
 yep that,s what it will be about , u get better vision with te tear offs  but time will see them banned